Active Topics

qole: That keyboard hack always work if I run kchmviewer from Easy Debian LXDE but not if I run it through terminal. Is it program related?

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by asyik View Post
I think i had this same issue before. What i did was I deleted .chroot config file (home/user/.chroot) and run the installer again.
I don't see how deleting .chroot should help. If you do, you'll also have to re-install easy-deb-chroot.

An alternative to install the image is to download on a PC and transfer the file e.g. through USB. See the wiki.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I agree with rebhana, try downloading with a PC and then moving the file to your N900. Don't delete the .chroot file, it has important stuff in it.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ NE-Scotland
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
It's probably too late for you now, but untarring the image you have been working with would have preserved all your additional installs.
Thank you, I finally understood what you meant with untar. And it is not too late as I hadn't time to play with the size of the image.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'm sorry I haven't been around much... Things remain stressful here in Qole's World

I have some instructions on copying the contents of your image file into a dedicated partition in a couple of places. If you don't mind starting fresh, I have a recent post in the Diablo thread about how to dump a rootfs tarball into a partition. (You need to type tar instead of gtar, but otherwise they're the same on the N900).

The instructions for dumping the file system from your image to a partition are also around here somewhere; I'll try to find them...

I really need to make that into a wiki page...
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Found it. Read this post and the update following it.
Thank you very much for that! I will try it next days and post back the results.

I noticed that Debian has an updated OpenOffice 3.2.0 version for amel: 1:3.2.0-9 with some armel-specific updates ("fix the ARM EABI bridges", whatever that means). I've upgraded to that (with sid enabled) through
Code:
apt-get install openoffice.org-writer openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-style-crystal openoffice.org-style-galaxy openoffice.org-style-hicontrast openoffice.org-style-tango openoffice.org-emailmerge
(installing all of openoffice.org would use up some 100MB more) and it seems to work fine, although I didn't notice any difference from 3.2.0-8, which was called "brown paper bag release" (whatever that means).

qole, perhaps this would now be a good point in time for v4a?

Another suggestion for a new image: include
Code:
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
#deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
in $CHROOT/etc/apt/sources.list.

Last edited by rebhana; 2010-05-15 at 21:41.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
I don't see how deleting .chroot should help. If you do, you'll also have to re-install easy-deb-chroot
This is what i mean. Delete and reinstall easy deb and easy-deb-chroot again.

Originally Posted by asyik View Post
This is what i mean. Delete and reinstall easy deb and easy-deb-chroot again.
Then you should get exactly what you had before, if you explicitly de-install easy-deb-chroot and re-install. But even then you don't have to delete .chroot. To start the Debian image installation from scratch, it's sufficient to delete /home/user/MyDocs/debian* and run the Deb Img Install icon anew.

Last edited by rebhana; 2010-05-15 at 22:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
See kolos' reported fix here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=547
Thanks alot, that did the trick!
Though that needed to update gconf, which is problematic right?

Originally Posted by dbrodie View Post
Though that needed to update gconf, which is problematic right?
Have you noticed any breakages from upgrading gconf2?

I have followed your example and also installed abiword, as well as the newer version of gnumeric from squeeze, thus upgrading gconf2 in the process. Everything works fine as far as I can see.

The only trouble I had was that the top panel in LXDE needed to be restored, but I don't know whether that had anything to do with the upgrade, since lxde wasn't upgraded.

For some reason the manual recreation of the top panel changed the icon for the menu that qole had provided. Since I didn't know how to fix that manually, I ended up restoring the directory /home/user/.config/lxpanel from a backup that I had made fortunately at one point.

So my recommendation for anybody playing around with similar upgrades is to backup their Debian image as well as /home/user/.config. At least the latter doesn't cost much space.

EDIT: Meanwhile I noticed some breakages from upgrading gconf2. Evince starts with an error saying that its configuration was broken. So I de-installed abiword, and reverted back to gconf2 from lenny, which was a bit messy. For the record, I had to do
Code:
apt-get install abiword- gnumeric-
dpkg --force-depends -r gconf2 gconf2-common libgconf2-4
then changed /etc/apt/sources.list to point to lenny and no longer squeeze, then
Code:
apt-get install gconf2
apt-get -f install
apt-get autoremove
apt-get install gnumeric
(gnumeric is de-installed and re-installed, because it was giving problems with the de- and re-installation of gconf2.)

Last edited by rebhana; 2010-05-23 at 15:59.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I was wondering if anyone has had success using easy debian
with bluetooth? Say for wireless printers, keyboard or projectors.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze