Hi -- I just got a 770, and despite having made a number of successful WLAN connections (to free public WiFi and to unlocked networks), I have only actually gotten onto the web ONCE. Every other time I have tried to connect to a web address, I get a box saying "Network problem," followed by the web address. How do I fix this? I've tried -- repeatedly -- getting off the connection and reconnecting, to no avail. Any help will be much appreciated.

i had the same problem accessing google when i first got my 770. the problem disappeared after rebooting though... also try accessing different websites.

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
Trade up to an N800...

Regards...
Omega

First thing I would do is update the firmware on the 770. I don't know what you have, but when I had a 770, it was bad also until I installed the latest firmware. Check out the nokia website and download their update wizzard for your windows machine, that is probably the easiest.
"less is like more but better"

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I've already tried the things suggested (except for buying an 800). The most current version of the firmware is already on my 770 [should I re-install it just for the hell of it?], and re-booting doesn't help. I have the network problem issue even when I've connected to very strong, public WLAN connections. Does anyone have any other suggestions before I list this thing on Craigslist? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Babette View Post
[should I re-install it just for the hell of it?]
That is always worth a shot before giving up.

When you connect to the WiFi network, in the status bar is there a question mark overlaid on top of the globe (to the left of the battery status icon) or is there a steady (and not flashing) antenna overlaid on the globe?

If you see a question mark it means your device is not being assigned an IP address.

If you see an antenna, go into Tools -> Connection Manager and within the Connection Manager application open the application menu (press the Menu button or click in the application title bar area) and in the Internet connection menu item click on "IP address". Check that your ip address and other details are correct - if you're not sure, copy all of the details into this thread and it may shed some light on your problem (it would also help to know what subnet you are connecting to at the time you review the IP address information).

I can understand the frustration. I am having this same problem on my new 770 with the latest firmware. I searched all over and can't find the solution.

I can connect at some public hotspots and surf ok. At home, forget it. Sometimes I can get Google but rarely the nytimes with images, normally just text. Can't get the Accuweather site, can't get Tableteer.

IP addresses are in order (checked my laptop), so that's not the issue.

I have a feeling some routers don't handle the 770 very well - but the exact reason I can't tell you. I'm not an expert at network analyzing.