Active Topics

Notices

Would love a Dropbox app, i use it via the N900s browser at the mo to upload stuff to share mainly, works great but a dedicated app would be better.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
It really would great to have a dedicated app for this. I am sure someone is working on it somewhere...

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I love dropbox--I use it to share between my linux laptop and windows desktop--but I don't want the full implementation on my N900--I don't want all of my files constantly syncing on the phone. I would like to see some kind of selective interface that lets me browse, download, upload, etc.

My favorite use of dropbox, by the way, is that I keep a Keepass file on it. I can access all my username/password combos from either computer and keep it up to date as needed. And I download the file to my N900 using the dropbox web page so I always have the passwords on the go. There is a KeepassX app for the phone that works well, though it is not optimized for the small screen.

+1,000,000 for dropbox!!

Another vote for Drop Box on the N900

Is there any news of anyone developing anything? I'd really like an app for this

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
As much as I like Dropbox, there's not currently a public API for access. The mobile website isn't bad though. And the full web site works as well.

One alternative would be to look at the Google Docs API since they've opened that up to any file type now.

Frank

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Cairo, Egypt
It's not a solution, but I wrote a script that would just invoke rsync to sync the files in my Dropbox folder on my laptop to the same on the N900 and vice versa. It works fine as a stopgap on a Linux box.

Just make sure rsync is installed and this should work for you as well. If you have your Dropbox folder in a directory other than ~/Dropbox, just change that. It doesn't mess up any symlinks that you have in the Dropbox folder either because of the -k switch on the second rsync.

Here is the script:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

### Settings ###
DIRECTORY='/media/Nokia N900/'
REMOTE='/media/Nokia N900/.documents/Dropbox'
LOCAL=$HOME/Dropbox
ORIGINAL_IFS=$IFS
IFS=$'\n'

### Script ###

if [ -d "$DIRECTORY" ]; then
	rsync -vauLP $LOCAL/ $REMOTE
	rsync -vauKP $REMOTE/ $LOCAL
fi
Just name it whatever you want (ie - n900-dropbox-sync.sh) and make it executable (chmod +x).

I've also attached the script.
Attached Files
File Type: gz n900-dropbox-sync.sh.gz (226 Bytes, 115 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to paco758 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Vienna / Austria
At the Dropbox Homepage there is a voting area for all registered users to collect votes for a feature request.
So here is the link to the vote for a Dropbox Maemo client: https://www.dropbox.com/votebox/80/maemo-linux-client

Please everyone who has a dropbox account go to this link and vote because there are only a few requesting votes left to trigger a freature request.

Very good idea. I'm going to vote for this.

<Link removed. Sorry. No reflinks.>

Last edited by xomm; 2010-06-21 at 16:22. Reason: Sorry. No reflinks.