Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
I reckon Steve Jobs will be the first to Mars with his iPhone 5.0 OS

Seriously though I hope they do find alternate ways of getting into Space, the elevator does look like a good concept

I like the idea, but it has problems. Like what happens if a plane crashes into it (accidentally or intentionally)?

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
Originally Posted by xomm View Post
That website of your's, dollyknot, by the way, is aesthetically painful. >.<
functionality over form perhaps?

I have been rootling around in it for the past 3 days and it is a little treasure trove of unusual delights.

so on this one... +1 for dollyknots aesthetically painful website
My Favourite posts!
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=539
http://forums.precentral.net/2674180-post149.html
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=500
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63720

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ leicester UK
Originally Posted by gryedouge View Post
functionality over form perhaps?

I have been rootling around in it for the past 3 days and it is a little treasure trove of unusual delights.

so on this one... +1 for dollyknots aesthetically painful website
Thx

The Chinese used to cripple their women by crushing their feet 'coz they thought women with smaller feet looked sexier.

Aesthetics is a minefield, but the sad thing is at the moment, in the main it seems to run human affairs, in as much as - if it looks all right, it is all right, never mind the quality, feel the width.

Last edited by Dollyknot; 2010-05-16 at 23:18.

Originally Posted by Flynx View Post
I like the idea, but it has problems. Like what happens if a plane crashes into it (accidentally or intentionally)?
It does have lots of problems

like what happens if the tether snaps, its not just the people in / on the elevator that would perish, but how much damage would be caused by the whiplash of the tethers

What if it gets stuck (at the top or half way)

In principle it does seem a logical solution though, once you get your head round the concept that it may actually work

you would have to make sure that it has multiple tethers i suppose and that each are constructed out of an extremely durable material to be honest its benefits far outweigh its negatives, also we cannot let terrorists dictate what we do or dont do for that is exactly what they want

Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
It does have lots of problems

like what happens if the tether snaps, its not just the people in / on the elevator that would perish, but how much damage would be caused by the whiplash of the tethers

What if it gets stuck (at the top or half way)

In principle it does seem a logical solution though, once you get your head round the concept that it may actually work
I hope you realize this proposed elevator would have to be 35,786 km long to work.

Use the rocket fuel on the moon to open the door, far simpler.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
no the elevatoe only needs to leave the earths gravitational pull, to some orbital station type thingamybob. then launch from there uses... (does some quick maths using the formulae posted earlier) ...a lot less fuel!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Originally Posted by Dollyknot View Post
I hope you realize this proposed elevator would have to be 35,786 km long to work.
It would have to be longer than that because you would need a counter-balance extending farther into space.

Originally Posted by Flynx View Post
It would have to be longer than that because you would need a counter-balance extending farther into space.
Erm 35,786 km is geostationary orbit, perhaps we have a different understanding of Newtonian celestial mechanics, your statement to wit -

" Well, mass cancelled out in the equations. So the mass of the vehicle doesn't matter. However much energy it takes to get to orbit, it will take 90% of that energy to slow back down."

Your understanding of mass seems to differ from mine, in terms of the economics of the equation.

To my limited understanding, the more mass you have, the greater the cost to get it to orbit, sort of dollar * Kg, if part of the mass exists up there already, you need less fuel, to get less fuel up there already.

To understand recursion, first you must understand recursion, lol.

Last edited by Dollyknot; 2010-05-17 at 00:06.

Originally Posted by Dollyknot View Post
Mm when the whole stack is ready to rumble it weighs 2,000,000 kg, the idea of getting all that weight off the ground boggles the mind.

Space ship one fully laden, weighs 3,600 kg.

So how much moon mined delta v would it take to accelerate SS1to escape velocity?

Obviously the moon tug will have to have expend some fuel, getting from the moon to earth orbit and slowing down to the speed of SS1 which would be 3,518 km/h, then accelerate the whole kit and caboodle, back up up to orbital velocity and beyond?
Yes and I agree with myself