Active Topics

Originally Posted by slender View Post
So is it or is it not?

What new world of linux? I bet that there is huge amount of users who do not even know that talk.maemo.org exists or what the hell xterm is. Do you mean that because itīs flashable and quite open system you are free to fool around and then accuse Nokia for giving you the hammer and letting you brake things with it?

As i said if you are not able to boot up in flash mode then there is nothing what you can do. Take off battery, put it back and try to boot up in flash mode. If not possible then if i were you i would take it to Nokia support. That's it.
hmm...ok i'm sensing an extreme hostile reponse here. correct me if i'm wrong though!
I said "new to the world of linux"...big difference here in the way you interpeted it.

Im not blaming anyone for the problem im having with it now, thats why i dont understand some of the reactions posted here. But in all honesty you can't say that the N900 has a charming reputation either, so therefor the "nightmare900" remark
I'm sorry if my sense of humor has upset you or anyone else

Just like the thread-starter i'm looking for a sollution.

now lets get back ON topic....plz

I suspect your best bet is

http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_t...ndows_7_32-bit

You dont really need the device to register with your computer to flash it since you arent really booting it when flashing it. After flashing I would recommend not playing in extras-devel. Even the seasoned linux guys (whom I consider myself one of) have to reflash at times thanks to something screwey going on with some software in extras-devel. I am in fact doing it right now.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
I suspect your best bet is

http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_t...ndows_7_32-bit

You dont really need the device to register with your computer to flash it since you arent really booting it when flashing it. After flashing I would recommend not playing in extras-devel. Even the seasoned linux guys (whom I consider myself one of) have to reflash at times thanks to something screwey going on with some software in extras-devel. I am in fact doing it right now.
Thank you very much Bratag!

I was reading in to it before i placed my first post in this topic, I'm reviving and setting up my XP-machine for the reflash procedure

Guess this is the best and only sollution.

Last edited by TylerD; 2010-05-18 at 17:12.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
hmm...ok i'm sensing an extreme hostile reponse here. correct me if i'm wrong though!
I said "new to the world of linux"...big difference here in the way you interpeted it.

Im not blaming anyone for the problem im having with it now, thats why i dont understand some of the reactions posted here. But in all honesty you can't say that the N900 has a charming reputation either, so therefor the "nightmare900" remark
I'm sorry if my sense of humor has upset you or anyone else

Just like the thread-starter i'm looking for a sollution.

now lets get back ON topic....plz
Yes from my first post (#4) i was on topic. I assumed that you have already used flasher. I just gave you little notion about IF you had flashed it with custom kernel that then you should probably not even ask about things like these because it should be obvious before even testing custom kernels that how to go back. You failed to say anything about flasher and answered only to my little kick to balls if you have used..

@ Slender

nope... I havent been messing with the kernel whatsoever, otherwise i would have said so for sure. (I guess this also goes for the topic-starter)
Maybe thats why i didn't pick up on your "little notion"

No hard feelings i hope

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
In last two days there were some problems with the experimental kernel versions v28-31 in extras-devel.
The versions in extras and extras-testing were not affected.
I have warned people about the danger of upgrading to these versions in these forums and we joinlty tried to track down the problem.
I also provided instructions how to downgrade to the stable v27 and in the meantime the fixed v32 is the latest version.

Do not install stuff from extras-devel without reading the package description and related mailing lists or forums unless you want to brick your device! And do not complain if you do.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Im not blaming anyone for the problem im having with it now, thats why i dont understand some of the reactions posted here.
The reactions you're seeing are probably because this looks like you're blaming Nokia or the device for something you are doing:

Damn this pisses me off! ...
by the way.....came up with a new name for this device:

-------------Nightmare900------------
As for the kernel updates, you should know that using anything out of extras-devel can lead to your device being unstable and needing a re-flash. Both setup pages describing how to set the repository up have large, red letters warning you of such. So yes, specifically enabling something that may cause your device to be unstable, and then complaining (or calling it a "nightmare") when it becomes unstable is seen as being hostile or b**chy, deservedly so.

A tip for the future: Don't leave extras-testing or extras-devel enabled once you get what you want from it. And understand what you're pulling from the repositories and why. Blindly pulling things from devel (even as a requirement for some other application) will quickly cause your device to be unstable. I have plenty of things from devel and testing running, but I don't leave the repositories enabled, nor do I update things super often. (I still have kernel 25 running, since that's the last time I had time to monkey with it.)

Being new to linux is great, you have lots of cool new things to learn and discover. But learning is done through making mistakes. You just made one. Instead of calling the device crap, or blaming others, learn from your mistake. It will be much more rewarding in the long run.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Reflashed it, and its up and running!

@ Titan:
I know there are risks involved when using repos, but i never suspected this to happen after an OTA-update. Oh well, sh*t just happens now and then right?

@Woody14619
A tip for the future: Don't leave extras-testing or extras-devel enabled once you get what you want from it. .
Thanks, never thought of disabeling them for "safety"

Being new to linux is ......the long run.
Glad im not afraid to explore the potentials of this device and learn through trial and error next to it.
The nightmare remark was just sarcasm, based upon my dissapointment regarding the lack of some (IMO) basic "flagship" features.
It wasn't meant to offend anyone.

Greets,

TylerD.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 111 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Well I was hoping to fix this **** without a reflash,but guess that was asking too much. Used the guide here: https://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware and reflashed the phone. '

P.S. I am NOT blaming anyone for the brick,nor am I whining. I was just looking for the easiest and least painful solution

Last edited by Unhuman; 2010-05-19 at 15:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to Unhuman For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by slender View Post
So is it or is it not?

What new world of linux? I bet that there is huge amount of users who do not even know that talk.maemo.org exists or what the hell xterm is. Do you mean that because itīs flashable and quite open system you are free to fool around and then accuse Nokia for giving you the hammer and letting you brake things with it?

As i said if you are not able to boot up in flash mode then there is nothing what you can do. Take off battery, put it back and try to boot up in flash mode. If not possible then if i were you i would take it to Nokia support. That's it.
LOL hey go easy huh these guys are just learning and wow your a hard faced teacher