Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
...it looks like Nokia are not keen on getting Skype running smoothly on the n900 which leads me to believe it's not important or has no future.
Using your logic, I should route all my support calls to Dell, because I'm having problems with Internet Explorer on my WinXP box.

You'd be better served focusing your efforts here:

https://support.skype.com/

Last edited by colnago; 2010-05-18 at 19:33.

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Using your logic, I should route all my support calls to Dell, because I'm having problems with Internet Explorer on my WinXP box.

You'd be better served focusing your efforts here:

https://support.skype.com/
I bought a nokia phone that sported skype I gave nokia feedback and nokia replayed WONTFIX (they didn't say this is a skype problem not a nokia problem) i don't think this is a skype issue - I use the nokia address book dial the number and it dosen't work. if I could install skype on my phone i would agree with you.

if i use your logic I should have bought an iPhone and an open OS for mobile phones shouldn't be publicly available - because consumers are the ones who S#%!>< it up.

it looks like Nokia are not keen on getting Skype running smoothly on the n900 which leads me to believe it's not important or has no future.
That would be a skype issue. You should be yelling at skype. Nokia WONTFIX software that's not under their control.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
the bug above is another no briner that needs to be fixed to marry skype and the n900. please vote.
Have you tried using these settings?
Attached Images

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following User Says Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
I bought a nokia phone that sported skype I gave nokia feedback and nokia replayed WONTFIX (they didn't say this is a skype problem not a nokia problem) i don't think this is a skype issue - I use the nokia address book dial the number and it dosen't work. if I could install skype on my phone i would agree with you.

if i use your logic I should have bought an iPhone and an open OS for mobile phones shouldn't be publicly available - because consumers are the ones who S#%!>< it up.
No, again you are missing the point. You want Nokia to fix software that does not belong to them...my analogy "should" have clarified. Per others' suggestions in this thread, if you do a little more searching, you will find that the feature you desire, "does not exist on any mobile platform". Again, that should tell you that it is not a Nokia specific issue.

In an attempt to put an end to this issue, please post a platform where the "pause" functions as required, within Skype. Does it work with Blackberry? Palm? Android? PC? iPhone?

Originally Posted by schettj View Post
That would be a skype issue. You should be yelling at skype. Nokia WONTFIX software that's not under their control.
Exactly...it would be like going after Ferrari because the Pirelli tires are not working properly.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Philadelphia
timwatt, the code needed to "wait a few seconds" is a lot more complicated than you might believe. In addition to that, it is very likely that the part of the code which pauses for GSM calls is after the point where in cases of a Skype call, Skype takes over.

HOWEVER, on the N900 you are able to add multiple numbers for a contact with the same type, so you can have more than one Cell or Phone (work) for a number (this isn't always possible on other phones), so you should be able an (nearly?) unlimited amount of numbers for each contact.

colnago, the N900 only has an option to add Skype usernames to a Contact, either to Skype call or Skype IM that user. For phone numbers, it makes a new button when selecting the contact (but not entry to edit in Contact details) with the same details as the regular phone numbers. While other Skype clients allow saving phone numbers, the N900 already has a way to store a number for a contact, so it is using that instead.

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
thanks for your input colnago, i understand your point of view, your comments do seem a little over zealous.

if you do a little more searching, you will find that the feature you desire, "does not exist on any mobile platform". Again, that should tell you that it is not a Nokia specific issue.

In an attempt to put an end to this issue, please post a platform where the "pause" functions as required, within Skype. Does it work with Blackberry? Palm? Android? PC? iPhone?
skype as it is on the n900 does not exist on any other platform - ie. as it is on the n900 is a game changer. - just because nokia is the first to integrate skype into the phone as a native and transparent application, dosen't imply it wasn't done before because it was imposable. I don't care for other platforms because they don't provide a functioning phone replacement. from your comments I see you don't use "skype in" and "skype out" so you haven't experienced how revolutionary this all is, and how crippling it is if you cant use your phones native contact list to call on skype out.

Nokia took it apron themselves to fix a bug that required all contacts to have "+" in front of the international dialling code.
this in my opinion was a mistake - as skype requires in all other incarnations you dial numbers beginning with a "+ international dialling code". this is catering to user error, in my case i am not making a mistake it is the address book that is passing the wrong info to skype and that is nokia,s problem. and i don't want you to get worked up about it.

Your comments can't help the situation by vilifying me and holding nokia up on a pedestal. the fact is +1555 666 7777p123 dials on GSM but not in skype.

Exactly...it would be like going after Ferrari because the Pirelli tires are not working properly.
Real world tyre analogy Firestone and Ford = Ford is for the most part responsible for Firestone tyres.

Nokia took it apron themselves to fix a bug that required all contacts to have "+" in front of the international dialling code.
That was code nokia owned.
the fact is +1555 666 7777p123 dials on GSM but not in skype.
Because Nokia owns that GSM dialing code.

Nokia does not own skype code - it's a plugin into the communications framework. They hand the skype code the dialing string, and Skype does exactly the same thing on the n900 as it does on EVERY other skype client. It barfs on strings with p in them.

So, uh, I guess you're asking Nokia to buy Skype and then fix their code?

Really. Seriously. Think about how the bits all work.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Philadelphia
the fact is +1555 666 7777p123 dials on GSM but not in skype.
After thinking on this for a while, it seems that Nokia wrote the GSM dialing code themselves, and are using third-party code for both SIP and Skype (Skype at least being completely closed source to them). This would be why Nokia was able to create an "interactive" dialing procedure for GSM calls, but in the SIP and Skype cases is only able to pass a desired number to the third-party code.

For the SIP side of this, it would be unfortunate if it was closed-source third-party code, since there are open-source implementations that exist, but it is common in commercial development to assess whether some component should be created from scratch or should be "bought"/licensed.

On the Skype side, there really wasn't any choice, since Nokia almost certainly has no access to Skype's source. Such is the way of things. The limit of what can be done with dialing on Skype calls amounts to preparing the inputs of a public API call.

A telling "hint" is that this is not planned to be fixed with the current Phone framework. It is likely a lesson learned during Fremantle, and hopefully considerations will be made for hooks to programatically dial numbers after the call has been connected. I think it would be nifty if the dial-pad buttons light up when it happens too

EDIT:
At least with my previous suggestion, you should be able to create versions of the numbers you wish to dial that don't have the extensions (I wasn't able to hit a limit for the number of multiple numbers of a single type I could make for a single contact)

Last edited by flailingmonkey; 2010-05-19 at 03:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to flailingmonkey For This Useful Post: