Purchased from: Nokia Online
Purchase/Arrival: NOV-16-05/JAN-05-06

- The screen. For its size it's incredibly crisp! I actually enjoy reading news on this rather than on the laptop.
- The size. I can finally do what I've always wanted to do but just couldn't on my laptop --surf the web while lying in bed or on the couch. Did I mention that the display is so crisp? You have to see it to believe it.
- Wi-fi. It just works!
- Linux. xterm! vim! This little baby rocks! The app installers work flawlessly -so far.
- Battery life. This puts the Energizer bunnies to shame, this thing just keeps going and going.
- Stylus input. For some reason I feel less stressed surfing the web using the stylus input. I feel like I don't have to hurry or something.
- This baby looks slick & sexy. It's easy to use too.

Dislikes:
- It's kinda sluggish. But I'm getting used to it, this isn't a desktop machine after all.
- Memory is dismal. I've experienced a couple of 'out of memory' errors. On the other hand, the solution seems to be putting a swap file on the RS-mmc. It makes the apps load/run faster too.
- Can't scroll smoothly using the scroll buttons. It would really rock if the webpages or pdfs scroll smoothly (using the scroll buttons).
- Handwriting recognition. Teehee :-P

Fave apps:
- xterm
- vim
- opera
- calendar/to-do-list

All-in-all, I'm really impressed. It's solid and easy to use. Its shortcomings is more than compensated by its strengths. I'm so happy I got this.

I just bought my second 770, having purchased & returned one earlier. I haven't had enough time to play with it yet to figure out my likes & dislikes so I'll post that later

Hey Vidge! Nice to see you here! Congrats on your 770. What was wrong with the first one?

I have already used my 770 for 2 months now and realized that my work hours of 770 is more than my PCs' (1 desktop, 1 portable). Let's go to basics with all those "millions" of detailed opinions.

One basic but essential feature with the 770 has caught too little attention: the physical size and shape of the 770, they are exactly right. The 770 sits in my hand perfectly and does not strain my hands almost at all. It is very easy to hold it without the fear to drop it. (I have Nokia phone 6600 which is round and slippery, it creates a lot of strain to my hands when preventing to drop.) Have you looked at
those 2 edges along the upper side of the 770 - holding the 770 is easy.
All together: simple, effective but important - splendid!

There is a limitation too, just because of the small physical size only, despite of the luxurious 800x480 screen. Many individuals, to whom I have showed the 770, claim that they cannot read the very small 770's text of most Internet sites which, luckily, can be improved with zooming and optimation. But, too many Internet sites are horizontally heavily (=stupidly!) loaded with text boxes etc, so that the 770's
nice zoom capability has no use.
No free luncheons!

Originally Posted by Reggie
Hey Vidge! Nice to see you here! Congrats on your 770. What was wrong with the first one?
Hey Reggie! Good to be here. As far as what was wrong - well, call it OE (operator error). I couldn't get my WEP key to go into the unit. And support was no help. (Gotta admit I didn't know about this forum) Turns out it was a HEX key instead of ASCII and I never even saw the drop down box. Like I said, Nokia support was no help.

Expect a lot of newbie questions from me as I know nothing about Linux.

Originally Posted by Vidge
I just bought my second 770, having purchased & returned one earlier. I haven't had enough time to play with it yet to figure out my likes & dislikes so I'll post that later
Vidge! Vidge! Vidge!

Finally!

Welcome! Don't forget to slog through my "blog" here.

Hey Mike! I started reading thru the blog last night - gonna take me some time to get thru it all since I've been reading other posts here on how to use this thing.

Live via 770:

It's not hard to.use unless you want to be all Linuxy (geeks reading that just had strokes!) -- or do something sensible, like try to use any USB device!

Get Week 51 on it, though.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Francisco
Actually, *Vidge* only got another Nokia 770 because of me

tnkgrl: You know I know that! You rescue all of us! (But you ride a bus? tnk in the shop? Must run Windows!)