in China it's the same problem
well... i am in china, what to do?
i guess better i move to another country

what's up guys? any advice?

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by kubaysi View Post
well... i am in china, what to do?
i guess better i move to another country
Have you tried moving country and seeing if it helps?

Try it in a country area or something similar. Usually in the city there is increased interference and that might alter your GPS signal. I would say wait for PR1.2 to see if its a fixed bug.. but you guys already have it :P

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
You could try leaving GPSJinni on for a bit so it gets a good lock on the satellites, then compare the gps coordinates it gives with Google Earth or a similar application. That might indicate if it's an accuracy problem with the gps or OVI maps. You could also try the geolocation plugin for the browser. I haven't tried these before so I don't know if this is helpful. For what it's worth, the GPS is very accurate for me.

guys.. hi again...
the problem still the same, even with PR1.3
i've checked again, tried some other maps softwares, all showing me same position, but it it's not correct!
for the coordinates, GPS Jinni showing 30 05' 21" / 120 37' 42", but the correct one (from google maps by the computer) is 30 08' 59" / 120 63' 25".
any advice, PLS?
again, i'm living in GREAT china!
Thanks all...

guys.. hi again...
i've checked again, tried some other maps softwares, all showing me same position, but it it's not correct!
for the coordinates, GPS Jinni showing 30 05' 21" / 120 37' 42", but the correct one (from google maps by the computer) is 30 08' 59" / 120 63' 25".
any advice, PLS?
Thanks all...

what proof that google maps are accurate

Linux Based Devices : Motorokr e6 | Nokia N900

It's probably something with the government blocking GPS or something

guys.. hi again...
any advice, PLS?
Thanks all...
The map data is offset in mainland China.

There's nothing wrong with your GPS, it's the actual map data. The easiest way to see it is to check the border to Hong Kong in Google maps, you can see the roads don't line up at all and they basically drop you in the sea. Hong Kong isn't offset but I'm really not sure why the mainland is... If you buy a phone or GPS device in China, the software will almost always have an offset correction (but then it sometimes doesn't work outside of China).

I've had the same experience there, it works fine everywhere else I've been besides in China but you can get some map sources that aren't offset like Microsoft's Virtual Earth satellite view (Live maps? Bing maps? Whatever they're calling them...) but there's no fix for the N900 unless a really nice dev wants to apply it to their GPS app, though I don't actually know how because I've heard the offset is different in different parts of the country anyway.

I was hoping Nokia would fix it eventually in - Ovi maps at least - because it already works fine on other Nokia phones running Ovi maps that were bought in China, must be some kind of legal thing stopping them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hterag For This Useful Post:
Sorry for reviving an old thread, just don't feel like making my own since it would be a clone of this one. I'm not sure if there's a problem with Hong Kong or not, but my GPS shows that I'm like a mile away from my current location on Ovi Map. Anyone got any type of solution for this? This problem of mine is making traveling in Hong Kong a complete "female dog" in the butt. Just in case if anyone wants to know, I'm using titan's kernel and have my N900 overclocked.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
My GPS said I was in the middle of the ocean!

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=67677 (i'm so sad...no one cared to reply my thread when I was in the middle of the ocean)