Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by Psy-Clone View Post
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, but I cant install Desktop Activity Manager.. saying i need dependancy python-gobject (>= 2.16.1-1maemo1)

Is this a Hildon update I dont have?

im on 3.2010.02-8.203.1
You should install the program from the application manager and not by downloading the .deb file. This way, all dependencies will be auto-installed.

The Following User Says Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Ok - I understand what this does but how do I save my desktop etc?

Do I click new to create a profile and then make changes to it? Or make changes to current desktops/widgets and then click new to save my changes?

The GUI is not very intuitive and I can't understand how exactly I can save my desktop state.

What you need is a button like, Save Current Desktop State (to a new profile).
It's hard to add too much functionality. For one thing, I'd like to add a menu with help, etc.. but this seems not to be possible because it is a status-menu plugin. So, until I found a way to add more buttons, we will have to stick with the limited available space.

Each profile is saved whenever you switch out of it, to another one. If you create a new profile, the old one will be saved. To create something new, just create a new profile and start changing things. You can then return to the old one by switching to it.

If you want more functionality then you should consider using the command-line interface. Run "activity help" (as user) to start.

Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
i got a quick question. how do i back up the desktop manager files??????? if i re-flash my device i want to be able to restore the desktops i have created
Everything is saved in ".activities" folder under the user's home directory. This means that even if you reflash your device, the activities will be preserved. However, you should create a temporary activity and switch to that one before reflashing your device. Since actman saves the desktop contents whenever you switch to a new activity, after you reflash the device you'll loose the contents of the last selected activity.

If you want to do a backup, just copy this folder (/home/user/.activities) and restore it.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dallas
I have to confess that i have tried activity manager to save energy a little bit by loading up an empty screen and it still drained my battery. I am assuming it has not been optified right?

I try to install or do things that will help the device be faster or save battery life. I have overclocked to ideal, changed transitions and freed up a little rootfs but when i installed this, it totally was the cause for major battery drain. I dont know why either. I took off several profiles and changed settings and widgets in each one and no matter what it would act like it was running several desktops and kill my N900.

I really like the app but too bad it kills the battery =/. Maybe when it goes to extras and becomes optified but right now its no bueno as far as battery life goes. And it is definitely the app bcuz as soon as i uninstalled it my Battery life jumped way higher than i have ever remembered especially with what i mentioned. It's kinda funny because i had everything going on and i was thinking to myself why my battery was still dying but when i took this off now i see what everyone was talking about as far as possible longer battery life.

Just my 2 cents.

-MASTER
http://YouTube.com/DOAUMASTER
http://MySpace.com/_DOAMASTER_
http://Twitter.com/oMASTERo
http://mast3r.tumblr.com
http://DOACentral.com
http://DFWGames.com "Bringing Gamers Together"
National Video Game Association

Last edited by M A S T E R; 2010-05-20 at 02:44.

Hi v13,
have you ever got stuck with this kind of issues while developing actman?
ISSUE: Still unable to programmatically control the stacking of different widgets on desktop.

Discussion is here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...111#post667111

Any brainstorming/contribution by your side will be greately appreciated.

Ciao.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Israel
This is one step forward in enabling portrait use of the phone- one of the problems of portrait mode is that the desktop get all fudged up, now it's just a matter of running the appropriate desktop set up, and you're done.

Originally Posted by M A S T E R View Post
I have to confess that i have tried activity manager to save energy a little bit by loading up an empty screen and it still drained my battery. I am assuming it has not been optified right?
Optification is not related to battery drain. Optification is the method of using /opt to store files in order to save space in the rootfs.

I try to install or do things that will help the device be faster or save battery life. I have overclocked to ideal, changed transitions and freed up a little rootfs but when i installed this, it totally was the cause for major battery drain. I dont know why either. I took off several profiles and changed settings and widgets in each one and no matter what it would act like it was running several desktops and kill my N900.
Can you please give me some numbers? How long did N900 last in both cases?

I'd also like to see the output of batter-eye of your N900, when using activity manager. I'm constantly using actman and I haven't noticed any increase in battery drain because of it.

I really like the app but too bad it kills the battery =/. Maybe when it goes to extras and becomes optified but right now its no bueno as far as battery life goes.
Well.. it is in extras already and it doesn't need optification (in fact, it can't be optified)

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by v13 View Post
Everything is saved in ".activities" folder under the user's home directory. This means that even if you reflash your device, the activities will be preserved. However, you should create a temporary activity and switch to that one before reflashing your device. Since actman saves the desktop contents whenever you switch to a new activity, after you reflash the device you'll loose the contents of the last selected activity.

If you want to do a backup, just copy this folder (/home/user/.activities) and restore it.
Hi Stefane,

You can include (if you haven't already) the activities in the backup files by just adding one simple text file for osso-backup. Here's some info:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...up_Application

Hope it's useful,
Christos

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
You can include (if you haven't already) the activities in the backup files by just adding one simple text file for osso-backup. Here's some info:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...up_Application
Thanks for the tip!

However, I'm not sure that backing-up activities is a good thing. If you reflash your device you'd expect the restore to also restore desktop widgets, which is not possible since you also have to re-install all extra widgets. It will be possible to restore shortcuts for default applications, bookmarks and default widgets, but not for extra apps and extra widgets.

I'd like to listen to opinions on this. Is there any reasoning in backing up activities?

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by v13 View Post
If you reflash your device you'd expect the restore to also restore desktop widgets, which is not possible since you also have to re-install all extra widgets. It will be possible to restore shortcuts for default applications, bookmarks and default widgets, but not for extra apps and extra widgets.
After reflashing the device most of the apps have to be reinstalled which can be automatically done by including applications in restore procedure. But the icons will magically re-appear on desktop while installation. I tried this out some weeks ago and it's quite funny seeing the icons pop up (as well as some widgets).
Yes, there is sense in backing up activities.