Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Nokia never promised Flash 10.1, it was demoed on an N900 and actually if you go to that same TBS site shown on the demo on your n900 you will see that is works with flash 9.4.

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
There are questions about future releases of Flash. Skype and other 3rd party components with "consumer brands":

Regular Nokia employees are not supposed to speculate or even announce any news about third party software being supported or not in future releases. The initiative corresponds to the companies owning that software or, alternatively, to an official Nokia channel well in sync with those companies. Due to these reasons, please understand if Nokia guys like me will systematically bypass these questions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Is it possible that an official, unique name can be given to a hybrid Maemo/MeeGo OS to distinguish it from pure instances of either?
Yes! Give us some time to come up with the official name. In the meantime, and for the sake of simplicity in these discussions, let's just use

"MeeGo-Harmattan" = released by Nokia, open+closed components, deb based.

"MeeGo" = released by the MeeGo project, 100% open, rpm based.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
The "delays" in 1.2 (if there were really delays or if it took that long to write or test everything. People talk like there was a release date to hit that everyone knew about) doesn't say anything either way about Nokia's support of Maemo.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. Probably doesn't mean anything in and of itself, but the fact that they're tacking the No MeeGo support onto its release I think indicates the direction they're headed.

Apple has indicated that for each device they will be supported for 3 releases. The original iPhone has had OS updates up until 4.0 which is releasing soon. 2+ years of software updates. Not bad by any measure.

Will Nokia do the same?

What hope do we have that Nokia will continue to make updates to our product even a year from now. Isn't MeeGo our only option?

what's the difference between rpm and deb?
why isn't MeeGo deb based?

Questions about further updates of Maemo 5:

The Fremantle program is working and busy preparing a next update. I'm not the person to give more details, sorry. http://conversations.nokia.com/ is the default channel for such announcements and asking there might be more effective.

If you have questions about specific bugs please ask them in those bugs. CC me if you expect my answer there.

This thread and this forum is about MeeGo & MeeGo-Harmattan, and this is the area where I hope to be more useful.

Last edited by qgil; 2010-05-26 at 04:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Yes! Give us some time to come up with the official name. In the meantime, and for the sake of simplicity in these discussions, let's just use

"MeeGo-Harmattan" = released by Nokia, open+closed components, deb based.

"MeeGo" = released by the MeeGo project, 100% open, rpm based.
Quim you have made me a very happy (and relieved) man with that reply, in more ways than one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Yeah, you're absolutely right. Probably doesn't mean anything in and of itself, but the fact that they're tacking the No MeeGo support onto its release I think indicates the direction they're headed.
The idea was to address the persistent question about MeeGo and/or MeeGo-Harmattan official updates from Nokia for the N900. Another approach would have been just to wait for the MeeGo-Harmattan announcement, a logical spot to explain the N900 support plans. Any day scratched from that deadline indicates (at least to me) more transparency from Nokia to N900 potential and actual customers. This extra time is also useful for the MeeGo-Harmattan community edition effort.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
what's the difference between rpm and deb?
why isn't MeeGo deb based?
deb and rpm are different package systems that offer virtually no differences to end users.

The MeeGo project has done plenty of technology decisions, one of them being choosing rpm for packaging.

No matter what, the fact is that MeeGo is rpm based and MeeGo-Harmattan will still be deb based since its development when MeeGo was announced was in a no-return point in terms of packaging.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
As Qt develops, will Qt on s^3, s^4, Maemo 5 and MeeGo/MeeGo-Harmattan be updated simultaneously?

For instance, if there is a Qt 5.0 release, will all OSes receive such upgrades?

The Following User Says Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:

Tags
dejavu, egocentric, premonition, wegot1newloser