Active Topics

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Indiana, USA
The N8 is not a "Flagship" phone. Just a mid, like the highly successful 5800.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
This isn't meant to be a rant, this is just pointing the obvious of yet another "Nokia not supporting the N900". Why isn't the N900 included in this offer?

http://www.nokia.co.uk/services-and-...-19-navph2_101
Because the N900 version of Ovi Maps doesn't have voice-guided navigation.

In fact, Ovi Maps on the N900 is so crap that they feel ashamed of it.
And I agree with them.

Fortunately, the other parts of the device make up for this very well.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ greece
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
Just frustrating, it is a blooming expensive phone and can do so much allegedly but Nokia hamstrung it and continue to skip it by.

If they don't push maps onto it, I can't see them fixing Nokia suite or Ovi suite to support the phone. Without which syncing stuff is much more complicated.

I just think Nokia have missed another trick and this shows their continuing logic of distancing themselves from the N900.
its obvios nokia will move on to the next device with meego , so why wasting time for the dead maemo ?
for me it seems u have 2 options , either keep the N900 AS IT IS and stop crying , or sell while u can .

Originally Posted by Aztekker View Post
The N8 is not a "Flagship" phone. Just a mid, like the highly successful 5800.
No. More like the n97

Originally Posted by AgentZ View Post
Curious? What did people do before google maps or turn by turn navigation? The lack of directional navigation in the human race is amazing; reminds me of the Ozzy Osbourne commercial were he has to use his phone to find the bathroom? north is north, south is south, in the history of mankind that hasn't changed, and won't!! You purchased this phone knowing it didn't have; but yet you bought it anyways? Make you a deal I'll buy your phone off of you for $50.00 bucks, would pay more but it doesn't have navigation and plus its used and it doesn't have any fart apps for it, deal?
Yeah didn't think so!

Thank you and come again.
Well, the nav-issue: it is even worse: London cab-drivers do better navigation in their own city than nav-systems do, sure. But whether the human race needs nav-systems or not... that's an entirely different discussion: a moral one, so lets not go down there: morality is in the eye of the beholder so respect mine, and I respect yours.
I was entirely satisfied with my nav on my n95. And I bought the n900 in the assumption that the promises of a working turn by turn nav system on my n900 would be realized, as it has been communicated several times. If Nokia says things, than they should follow up their words within a reasonable time. That's just a question of paying respect to your customers, nothing less.

Last edited by bobonobo; 2010-05-27 at 08:32.

i seen a add on TV last night said free statnav on any nokia smartphones. lol

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Ads were certainly misleading. When I bought the phone I assumed that it would get free turn-by-turn, because of the ads saying free turn-by-turn navigation for the newest smartphones (by Nokia) or something similar. And since it has OVI maps pre-installed. I was disappointed to see maps 1.0 on the device, with 3.0 coming out for symbian. I saw the N900 as some sort of successor to the N97, because it is an N-series device somewhat comparable to N97 but superior in just about every way. I even tried upgrading my N95 to newer maps but it is just not new enaugh (although its hardware is highly capable of maps 3.X)

Not being a jerk, I absolutely love my phone and would not trade it for the world, but Nokia owes this to us.

Meanwhile I hope a third party like google or mapper developer to come with good turn-by-turn as an alternative, cause its one of the things I miss mostly

Bit off topic but still a "missed opportunity" thing.
Anyone seen the new version of Bada on Samsung and their new device with it on?
It's going to get legal, for sure, but they really did take the best bits of the N900, the iPhone and a touch of Symbian and produce the device that all of those should have been.
Even the iFanboys and Nokia-loyalists will have to admit the awesomeness of this thing.
Might even get one to play with.

Here's the linky:
http://www.bada.com/badadevices/

Last edited by bjknight; 2010-05-27 at 08:59. Reason: Adding a linky-link

The Following User Says Thank You to bjknight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
To me it was launched as flagship device then quickly pulled back, afterall it costs the most, does the most, had the best spec and was launched as the internet do all type device.

Only lack of support and advertising withdrew it from their championing ideas.

N97 is their flagship device till most carriers withdrew it, T mobile in Uk being one. AT the moment nothing Nokia does is making me think they are going for Google and apples crown.

However as the 'be all and end all' of devices compared to the rest of the Nokia's line up, you would at least expect someone somwhere to do a mapping and navigation, if nothing else will Meego have it? Symbian might be old and common because of that, but hamstringing future purchasing because you can't get what google and apple chuck around. Heck even winmo 6.0 has tomtom.

But still, some of you see my point.

Originally Posted by bjknight View Post
Bit off topic but still a "missed opportunity" thing.
Anyone seen the new version of Bada on Samsung and their new device with it on?
It's going to get legal, for sure, but they really did take the best bits of the N900, the iPhone and a touch of Symbian and produce the device that all of those should have been.
Even the iFanboys and Nokia-loyalists will have to admit the awesomeness of this thing.
Might even get one to play with.

Here's the linky:
http://www.bada.com/badadevices/
That phone is ugly IMHO
That homescreen thing looks alot like the iPhone especially the dock. I'm sure Steve will have something to say about that

Tags
bourdain got a, butt shafting