Active Topics

youtube works...

Originally Posted by juanenrique View Post
hey... tried youtube and megavideo... sound and image was ok, no issues, managed to play them properly... i just had to wait them to buffer... (using wi-fi)... i did have some issues with ted not allowing me to play videos but that's because of the new flash... not pr 1.2 as such...

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
In people's defense that do post here with complaints, Maemo seems to be far too easy to mess up and the speed and efficiency advantages used to accept this caveat appear to have been trumped by Android 2.2 now. Maemo is even more easy to screw up than WM.

Maemo and the N900 are for mid to hardcore techs only, if you want to get good use out of the device and not worry about hosing it. The angle of "learn to use maemo" is not valid, since most people are consumers and just want the device to work, hence the device will see complaints when those folks do not buy it.

I love my N900 for what I use it for and greatly appreciate the efforts in the community, but Nokia screwed this OS up and provided weak support for the dev community. Their arguement that the N900 is a mini-computer is not even valid now, since the basic function of Flash can not be updated (a feature they touted a LOT). Flash on the N900 (unless updated) will be basically useless within six months- less than a year after most have owned it.

added:

Very ironic, considering Flash was a main feature touted and people bought into the premise. Perhaps it is still a mini-computer, but of the Apple type, since sans the Flash

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-05-27 at 12:41.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Only bugs I have noticed in pr1.2 is the application manager that insists the device memory is full:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10305
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54001

And the bug with freezing clicking "Done" after fiddling with widgets.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
ive never experienced those bugs?
but i flashed eMMC then pr1.2 via flasher
device is even more awesome than it was before!

The Following User Says Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
i have found an annoying bug. Whenever you press power button while playong music, you'll get a pause for about 2seconds and after that will start playing again. Weather you want to unlock the device or switch profile, the music player stopped for 2seconds.

I also flashed emmc+base, then restored 80+ apps. There's some minor bugs but overall it's fine. Browser is responsive etc.

I'd second the suggestion to try a full backup (and copy to another device) then a full flash & restore.

The Following User Says Thank You to planetf1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
I don't agree that the N900/Maemo is easy to foul up. Used as an ordinary non-techie user would - no testing or devel, no overclocking, no muckin' around the system as root, no manual flashing (OTA updates) etc. the phone is just about bullit-proof like most linux boxes..

I've been conservative and careful about what I install from testing or devel an did OTA updates and even though it's had heavy usage for 6 months, I've never reflashed and have no problems at all. I doubt I'll ever need to flash the OS. Of course riskier behavior would be more fun, but I depend on this too much.

As for flash 10, nobody else has it yet. And if you watch the demos of it running on Android you don't want it yet. Not good.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2010-05-27 at 13:57.

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
The most obvious "bug" I've encountered is with the phone & contacts. After updating to PR 1.2 I no longer see the caller's name and picture on calls, only the number and generic avatar icon now show.
The contact avatar images still display properly in the contacts app.