Active Topics

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Quick answer for you. I just got a text from my Nokia saying new software is available. Just reply stop and no more texts other than the one confirming you wont be getting anymore. Just did it on my Nexus One with tmobile USA. Hope this helps.,

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
i am pretty sure Nokia is not gonna give your cell phone a ring and bother you in all my years of using nokia they have never ever ever once called me or bombarded me with spam texts or anything of the sort. i think you will be just fine
Yes because they are gathering army of Zombie N900s , soon they will rise and Nokia will control brains of all people who use My Nokia service! I'm the only one who is not aff.....ALL HAIL NOKIA ALL HAIL NOKIA.....

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Two points:

1.: it's not fair sending a sms from a user's device without notifying him about that. I think, they could have collected the data as well in another place and send it the next time the users goes online. In any way they should first inform the user and afterwards collecting or sending anything home.

I installed PR1.2 via flashtool because OTA didn't work (and I even didn#t get any message why it didn't work so I just used the flasher). I never saw any question about that stuff and wondered why the hell they sent me an sms. Where did they get my number?

2. In the second sms, which arrived today (I flashed yesterday), they told me, there'd be a new update for my phone. The sms pointed me to www.nokia.de/softwareupdate. I opend this site in a browser and what did I see? Newest update is 2.2009.51.1.
What do they want from me?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to x-lette For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by x-lette View Post
Two points:

1.: it's not fair sending a sms from a user's device without notifying him about that. I think, they could have collected the data as well in another place and send it the next time the users goes online. In any way they should first inform the user and afterwards collecting or sending anything home.

I installed PR1.2 via flashtool because OTA didn't work (and I even didn#t get any message why it didn't work so I just used the flasher). I never saw any question about that stuff and wondered why the hell they sent me an sms. Where did they get my number?

2. In the second sms, which arrived today (I flashed yesterday), they told me, there'd be a new update for my phone. The sms pointed me to www.nokia.de/softwareupdate. I opend this site in a browser and what did I see? Newest update is 2.2009.51.1.
What do they want from me?
Me too , via flasher both fiasco and eMMC and it didnt even notified me, I was subscribed when I turned it on however I'm not getting any sms from Nokia probably because my operator Rogers is blocking them

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Well, I actually don't mind them sending me a sms. I guess they won't sell the numbers or start sending ads.

But I really do mind if they make MY phone send THEM a sms without asking ME! It's not the fact that I get charged for the sms but it's a matter of privacy (YES IT IS!) and it shows how they are beginning to handle their customers.

If they want to do something good to me, they can ask if I really want it. But they never did.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to x-lette For This Useful Post:
After I have reflashed my n900 to PR1.2, n900 has sent an SMS to Nokia. This is a privacy violation. I do not remember agreeing to that and I do not want Nokia to be informed every time I upgrade my firmware, specifically if I have to pay for that. Is there any way to disable this feature?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gwj For This Useful Post:
Settings > My Nokia > Unsubscribe

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
Settings > My Nokia > Unsubscribe
Choosing this option actually sends an SMS to Nokia.
Will it prevent sending anything to Nokia after the next reflash?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gwj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "n900 sends SMS without my permission" with three posts has been merged with this thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
and my provider does not allow international sms on my plan ..