Notices

can anyone think of a way to create a dump of only certain topics, i.e. physics and medicine or so. Now that would be very cool... 90% reduction in dump size? No offense to people for whom the life story of Michael Jackson is important to have in the pocket

Just being new to the N900 - and tried searching everywhere already. I have installed the latest version of Evopedia along with the 8GB of Wiki data on my SD card. However, Evopedia will not open for some bizarre reason - it will open up a white window and then close down and back into the normal desktop.

Have tried to pre-open MicroB and the program will try to run http://127.0.0.1:8080 and coming back with errors (which I presume it cannot connect to an inbuilt web server that hosts evopedia).

Can anyone help with this? have tried several version of Evopedia and all does the same thing.

Thanks

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 78 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
@bchliu: I saw this problem, and I suspect it may be related to having browser-switchboard installed. Do you have this installed?

Try starting evopedia, launch MicroB after evopedia closes its window, type http://127.0.0.1:8080 into the address-field. That works for me. If you are familiar with a terminal-editor, you can edit /usr/bin/evopedia.sh and replace the long dbus-command with just
browser --url "http://127.0.0.1:8080"

PS: if MicroB is already open when you start evopedia, it tries to access the localhost-server too fast (before it is fully running), just reload the page and it should work…

The Following User Says Thank You to hcm For This Useful Post:
@hcm: Thanks for the reply. I have uninstalled Browser-switchboard and it doesnt close the browser anymore (along with actual normal behaviour now). Unfortunately, I am still getting the error message of cannot connect with host on 127.0.0.1:8080. This confirms that the server is not running properly and tried again after a few minutes with the same effect.

Is there any way I can confirm the Evopedia Server to be up?

Thanks

Weird.. An update for Evopedia came to my phone this afternoon and installed it. It works now!! Woohoo!

is evopedia still listed as RC3?

i cant see any pictures in evopedia

also some links do not work asit say pageload error

third for every search it asks to go online why is that?

Hi!

The browser problems should be fixed in the version that is currently in testing (0.3.2-maemo3, please test it so that it gets into Extras).

mnaveed:

The pictures only work when you are online, they are not included in the dump.
The links should work. Which dump (language, date) and which evopedia version are you using?
Thirdly, the search should not provoke the phone to go online. Could you please give more details?

If you want, you can also file official bug reports for each of the three problems.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
after installing the new update of the firmware, it is difficult to type letters into the search-box of evopedia...sometimes letters i typed in are not recognized.. the program shows no reaction on typing in letters!!! the list with possible "entries" after typing search-letters always rebuilds itself constantly during typing... in a "strange" way....anyway... there should be an update to solve the problem... hopefully

Originally Posted by geobueck View Post
after installing the new update of the firmware, it is difficult to type letters into the search-box of evopedia...sometimes letters i typed in are not recognized.. the program shows no reaction on typing in letters!!! the list with possible "entries" after typing search-letters always rebuilds itself constantly during typing... in a "strange" way....anyway... there should be an update to solve the problem... hopefully
Could you tell us the version of Evopedia you are using? Do you have any browser plugins installed? You could try installing version 0.3.2-maemo3 from Extras-devel.