Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
I've filed a bug. If you also suffer from this breakage, consider voting for it:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10345

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
While I still hope for a quick fix for the standard pdf reader, I can report that evince from extras-devel is a good alternative (have been using evince from Easy Debian so far, but the native version is more convenient).

Does anybody know how to make microB use evince in place of the standard pdf reader when opening pdf documents in the browser?

I now found a quick fix for myself, so I don't have to wait for PR 1.3 any longer...

The problem is just the executable
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1008844 Feb 11 11:02 /usr/bin/osso_pdfviewer.launch
Having made a complete backup of my device some time ago, I replaced that by the one from PR1.1.1
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1050160 2009-09-30 16:03 /usr/bin/osso_pdfviewer.launch
which interestingly enough is a 5% larger binary file. Now the pdf reader works as before.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Wouldn't you attach the binary here please?

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Wouldn't you attach the binary here please?
I failed at first, because it is too large. But gzipped it is just below the allowed limit for t.m.o. uploads, so here it is.

After you unpack, the md5sum should be
Code:
61f15005f78234b66ac75125edf270d6
So for all those who want to apply this quick fix of reverting to the previous version of osso pdf viewer, here are my instructions for backing up the PR1.2 binary and replacing it with the one in the attachment: As root do
Code:
gunzip osso_pdfviewer.launch.gz
md5sum osso_pdfviewer.launch
mv /usr/bin/osso_pdfviewer.launch \
 /home/user/osso_pdfviewer.launch-PR1.2
cp osso_pdfviewer.launch /usr/bin
chmod a+x /usr/bin/osso_pdfviewer.launch
Usual disclaimer: follow these instructions at your own risk, i.e. be careful and make sure you know what you are doing.

EDIT: No longer necessary/recommended in PR1.3, which fixed the regression.
Attached Files
File Type: gz osso_pdfviewer.launch.gz (409.1 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by rebhana; 2010-11-03 at 07:01.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
While I still hope for a quick fix for the standard pdf reader, I can report that evince from extras-devel is a good alternative (have been using evince from Easy Debian so far, but the native version is more convenient).

Does anybody know how to make microB use evince in place of the standard pdf reader when opening pdf documents in the browser?
Change the application/pdf line in /usr/share/applications/defaults.list to
Code:
application/pdf=hildon-evince.desktop
and run
Code:
sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
PDF files should then open in evince. (You may need to reboot.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arajantie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Imperial College London
Originally Posted by arajantie View Post
Change the application/pdf line in /usr/share/applications/defaults.list to
Code:
application/pdf=hildon-evince.desktop
and run
Code:
sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
PDF files should then open in evince. (You may need to reboot.)
I think (not sure) that if you instead modify /etc/gnome/defaults.list there is no need to reboot (or update-mime-database).

Cheers,
Jan

In fact, /usr/share/applications/defaults.list seems to be a symbolic link to /etc/gnome/defaults.list, so it shouldn't matter which one you edit. Indeed, you may not need to update-mime-database or reboot. I did those, and it worked, but it could have worked without.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Imperial College London
Originally Posted by arajantie View Post
In fact, /usr/share/applications/defaults.list seems to be a symbolic link to /etc/gnome/defaults.list, so it shouldn't matter which one you edit. Indeed, you may not need to update-mime-database or reboot. I did those, and it worked, but it could have worked without.
This isn't the case on my phone. I have been playing with these today (and with your useful tvcatchup script!) and I have found that a reboot is required after editing /usr/share/applications/defaults.list and not after editing /etc/gnome/defaults.list. I suspect perhaps that /usr/share/applications/defaults.list is used to populate /etc/gnome/defaults.list at startup but not really sure.

Cheers,
Jan

Originally Posted by Big Phat Jan View Post
This isn't the case on my phone. I have been playing with these today (and with your useful tvcatchup script!) and I have found that a reboot is required after editing /usr/share/applications/defaults.list and not after editing /etc/gnome/defaults.list. I suspect perhaps that /usr/share/applications/defaults.list is used to populate /etc/gnome/defaults.list at startup but not really sure.

Cheers,
Jan
Interesting...
Code:
~ $ ls -l /usr/share/applications/defaults.list
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 May 18 10:50 /usr/share/applications/defaults.list -> /etc/gnome/defaults.list
Anyway, it would be great if you could get the script to launch directly from the browser, but it seems that the MIME system does not support command line arguments.