Active Topics

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
please somebody with this up and running, post here the output of the 'route' command. I am doing something wrong and that would help.

I have
Code:
/home/user # route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
10.0.0.136      *               255.255.255.248 U     0      0        0 wlan0
10.9.0.0        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 dns0
default         10.9.0.1        0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 dns0
I also have this outout when calling iodine
Code:
/home/user # iodine paco.undo.it paquito.undo.it
Enter password on stdin:
pacopaco
Opened dns0
Opened UDP socket
Version ok, both running 0x00000400. You are user #1
Setting IP of dns0 to 10.9.0.3
Setting MTU of dns0 to 500
Sending queries for paquito.undo.it to paco.undo.it
Detaching from terminal...

Last edited by debernardis; 2007-08-13 at 19:22.

if this is a real example, this line is wrong :
/home/user # iodine paco.undo.it paquito.undo.it

The first parameter should be an IP address, that of the DNS for the network you're connected to. Try the script give by asinus some posts back.

Originally Posted by Toontje View Post
Code:
modprobe tun

nope. modprobe is not supported. insmod is, but it's not working.

Would anyone like to put together a comprehensive FAQ, from start to finish, for setting up iodine so that the end result is the ability to browse (at obviously limited speeds) the Internet via a third party connection (Starbucks, etc)? I think I speak for a very many of us when I say I'm extremely interested in using this, but need the instructions to be streamlined a little if possible.

I think the assumptions we can make are that the person following the FAQ currently has A) the Nokia 770, B) a router running *-WRT, and C) access to some external dynamic DNS website that lets them point a hostname at an IP address of their choice.

OK I suspect the problem is in my server, maybe because it is behind a wifi router. I opened port 53 on it but might be not enough?
If anybody with functioning client is willing (please ), I would PM my config to test my server and let me know if it works with it.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Everything is very well explained in the following three URL's:
http://dev.kryo.se/iodine/wiki/HowtoSetup
http://www.recalinux.com/core/?q=node/2
http://code.kryo.se/iodine/iodine_manpage.html

The problem (for me, at least) is setting up the tun device. This is different for every OS and every device. You have to Google for that. I've got it working on OSX and OpenWRT. I never got it running on FreeBSD 4 and i didn't try it on DD-WRT.
All that is left is then configuring the DNS properly (apparently you can use afraid.org for that), getting the packages loaded on the server and the 770/N800 and following the examples in the URL's above.
On the client, use the script asinus provided. That works and saves you a lot of client-side headaches.

Ton.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Yes, just add a subdomain, select "NS" and enter your IP och hostname. I entered my domain registered with no-ip.com so it will point to the right IP if my dynamic IP changes.

Can't get it to working. I figured out what the problem was with the tun device and I have a binary of iodined here for anybody who is interested: klick
So maybe somebody can open an account for me on his iodine so that I have some connection for the next 2 weeks. This is only to check some mail or something...

Originally Posted by sully View Post
I think the assumptions we can make are that the person following the FAQ currently has A) the Nokia 770, B) a router running *-WRT, and C) access to some external dynamic DNS website that lets them point a hostname at an IP address of their choice.
I seem to understand that a router running *-wrt is not needed. You should be able to run iodined on your home server, don't you? Without any special router...
However, I haven't seen the light up to now.
Iodine on my IT starts and seems to connect with iodined on my server, in fact the password is handshaken rightly. I delete the default gw and add a new default gw with the dns0 address but... can't connect out on the internet.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Iodine on my IT starts and seems to connect with iodined on my server, in fact the password is handshaken rightly. I delete the default gw and add a new default gw with the dns0 address but... can't connect out on the internet.
I run iodined on a server behind a NAT router. The trick is to enable IP forwarding on the server
Code:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
To make this permanent you have to edit a config file or a startup script depending on your distro.
You also need to add a route back to the server from the router. If you have shell access on your router this will be something like
Code:
route add -net 10.9.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.0.10 br0
It should also be possible to set up the route using the web interface of the router.