Active Topics

Is it possible to disable the long press feature in N800? When you keep a stylus pressed in the same spot on the screen for over 1 second the menu appears. The same thing happens also when browsing the web. I would like to disable this. Does anyone know how it can be done or is it impossible?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by teetee View Post
Is it possible to disable the long press feature in N800? When you keep a stylus pressed in the same spot on the screen for over 1 second the menu appears. The same thing happens also when browsing the web. I would like to disable this. Does anyone know how it can be done or is it impossible?
I'm not sure if you can suppress it, but I know for a fact that the length of keypresses for the hardware keys can be edited in the mce.ini configuration file, so I'm assuming a similar file would exist that controls the behaviour of the touchscreen. Setting the value to e.g. 100,000 milliseconds would effectively disable it.

I'll be buggered if I know where that file is though. Smarter minds, etc...

This may not apply to the OP's needs, but the only problem with setting the long-press time to 100,000 is that the press is still captured by the OS and not passed into the app. Or at least this is the case for the web browser specifically.

I'd like to be able to press-and-hold buttons on a web page (building a web-centric universal remote control) but I can't with the current pseudo-right-click behavior. I've not looked deeply into the massive Opera config files yet to see if it can be totally disabled yet. Ideally I'd like to enable/disable it per site so I can turn it off only for the universal remote, but I bet that'll be pretty difficult. (Wish I could also auto-fullscreen certain sites too actually...)

The Following User Says Thank You to LukeD For This Useful Post:
I would be happy if I could change the long press time to 100,000 or anything over 5,000 milliseconds. I don't have a clue how that could be done..?

I'm currently building application for Flash player and I use short and long presses. Currently the long press that I use in Flash is 2000 mseconds. I can do the long press in my Flash application but the problem is that Flash player built-in menu will also appear at the same time (as it would appear when you press the right mouse button).
So both the system and my application are able to react to the long press at the same time. It is not possible to deactivate the whole flash menu so that's why I would like to deactivate the long press feature in N800.

Interesting, so the click is actually being sent down to the web/flash layer when you're holding down the stylus? My initial experiments showed that the long-press OS interception didn't pass the event down. There's a few opera-specific config files floating around in the OS, I'll have to re-scan for long press delay (or disable) settings.

Yes the click is sent to flash layer also. When I hold the stylus pressed down both Flash player menu opens and the long press event I made in Flash happens.

If you can find a way to change the long press delay or how to disable it, let me know about it.

Hello,

Was anyone able to increase the long press delay on the N800??

More specifically, I would like to disable the right click on Flash as teetee stated in the 3/27/2007 post.

Thanks
SW

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Lynnwood, WA
Let me be clear here... This so-called long click thing only pertains to the Opera web browser, right? I've tried it on the empty desktop and on other apps but nothing happens there.
Registered Linux User: #281828
Fedora Core 6 / Nokia N800

Well, Yes and No.

The desktop and other apps may not have context menus (right click in the desktop world) to activate. The Opera browser does. Flash does. I'm guessing that the application is notified that the event has occurred, but does nothing with that notification.

Flash in a browser always shows a context menu and it cannot be disabled from within Flash. I was wondering if I could change the behavior of the N800 to make this a very long delay before notifying the application.

Thanks
SW

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Lynnwood, WA
Originally Posted by scottw01 View Post
Well, Yes and No.

The desktop and other apps may not have context menus (right click in the desktop world) to activate. The Opera browser does. Flash does. I'm guessing that the application is notified that the event has occurred, but does nothing with that notification.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. So this works like right-clicking, I guess. Nothing happens when there's no context menu for the particular applicaiton.
Registered Linux User: #281828
Fedora Core 6 / Nokia N800