OK For the last week I have been unable to get Iplayer videos to work from the website. This was after months of it working fine. It started to only play sound instead of video.

There have been many threads on the topic, with some saying it still works for them on some things, some saying it has never worked, and others still saying they thought PR1.2 broke it.

My thoughts were that it was the BBC that had done something to their content.

After much fiddling around with settings etc nothing worked.

Then after listening to a radio replay last night I thought I'd try something else. The radio program played in a 'console' and the web address had console attached to it too, so this morniing, after some experimentation I fihured out how to get any video to play......

You do indeed need to add /console/ to the web address like I figured, but you also need to chop off the /episode/ part as well as the /program_name/ part, so for example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...and!_The_Band/

becomes.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00snk78/

The program then opens up in a consol which you can then pop out etc just like you used to be able to when it worked like normal

PS please don't xomment on my choise of profram I picked it at random from the first page on iplayer, so there

Hope this works for everyone else who is having difficulties. I have reproduced it working on a few programs now and it works great.

It is still uzzling why it worked for months and has now stopped though. (I still blame the BBC)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kyllerbuzcut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Shropshire UK
I'm not sure if you've managed to pick a program that has more chances of working there. I still find programs that don't work using this method.
One example is Pirates of the Caribbean. I still get a blank screen with sound only.
Can you try that using your method? Check if it is just me or my device!!!

Well done for digging about and experimenting though. If it helps get anyone that bit further with programs they couldn't play before, then that is a plus.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Thanks for that!

Good to have another solution to viewing iplayer - now I can add bookmarks and desktop shortcuts that lead directly to content.

Otherwise, I find using the previously-covered method of first selecting 'use lower bandwith version' and then selecting the 'pop-out' still works fine for me - been watching Dr Who that way this morning! (I know, I know...)

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lake District, Cumbria, UK
Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
OK For the last week I have been unable to get Iplayer videos to work from the website. This was after months of it working fine. It started to only play sound instead of video.

There have been many threads on the topic, with some saying it still works for them on some things, some saying it has never worked, and others still saying they thought PR1.2 broke it.

My thoughts were that it was the BBC that had done something to their content.

After much fiddling around with settings etc nothing worked.

Then after listening to a radio replay last night I thought I'd try something else. The radio program played in a 'console' and the web address had console attached to it too, so this morniing, after some experimentation I fihured out how to get any video to play......

You do indeed need to add /console/ to the web address like I figured, but you also need to chop off the /episode/ part as well as the /program_name/ part, so for example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...and!_The_Band/

becomes.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00snk78/

The program then opens up in a consol which you can then pop out etc just like you used to be able to when it worked like normal

PS please don't xomment on my choise of profram I picked it at random from the first page on iplayer, so there

Hope this works for everyone else who is having difficulties. I have reproduced it working on a few programs now and it works great.

It is still uzzling why it worked for months and has now stopped though. (I still blame the BBC)
just tried the link but all i am getting is the audio....it goes to the bbciplayer beta player when selected.

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lake District, Cumbria, UK
pop out player is disabled and selecting full screen just gives audio.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Thanks Kyller for highlighting this again, for those in UK who haven't seen it, a similiar technique here:-

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...hlight=iplayer

and a great guide with pics from Jaymontana:-

http://mynokiablog.com/2010/04/02/ho...-old-solution/

Dan

found that if you go to the classic old page and not the beta page the popout player is enabled and it does work...yeeesssss!!!!!

oh am i happy now....bbciplayer works and tvcatchup now works.....yeeehaaaa

tried pirates and that is giving me black screen too. first one Imve found using this method.

To get rid of beta you need to clear cookies. I experimented with that too

oh and yes dancairo, that method no longer works, it only works with me now if I go in ans type console etc.

PS i also believe I may have been first to find that way back in January, and had posted it in a couple of threads back then

Last edited by kyllerbuzcut; 2010-05-30 at 11:04. Reason: addition