Active Topics

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by qole View Post
It sounds like I need to issue an update to Easy Debian for PR 1.2...

I'm re-installing all of my apps after flashing the "special" version of PR 1.2 that my device needs...
I've updated my talk page where I collect my proposed changes. If you also think about updating the image to fix /usr/bin/xephfocus, I'd suggest to also upgrade to Openoffice 3.2.0 from sid before something happens to the corresponding armel packages again.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ NE-Scotland
After this post I tried to follow the procedure detailed in this post in order to have more space to install software in easy debian.

1) I created a new partition in the sd card
2) I mounted the current Debian image with the command
Code:
qmount /path/to/currentimgfile /debian
3) I mounted the new formatted partition
Code:
mount /dev/mmcblkxxx /floppy
4) I copied the content of /debian to the partition
And here is where my problems started. The commands provided in the previous post are:
Code:
cd /debian
/home/user/img-install/ tar cf - . | (cd /floppy/; tar xvf -)
Unfortunately I got errors (not able to access) the directory /home/user/img-install/

I thus run only the command
Code:
tar cf - . | (cd /floppy/; tar xvf -)
However I have some questions:
Is it using /home/user/img-install/ because it is the directory where the image was installed?
Are there (in /home/user/img-install/) files needed in the partition?

5) restart device: I did so and the device was almost bricked. I had to remove the sd card before being able to restart the N900.

I reinserted the sd and

6) Edit the /home/user/.chroot
changing the IMGFILE to the partition where the files are

And easy debian started with 2 more gb free!

However I am just wondering if the changes I made in step 4 make sense or if they can lead to a problem.

I did not try to restart the N900 for the moment, but do you think that having three partitions (1 small fat, 2 ext2) on the sd may be a problem?

Thank you very much in advance!

P.S. If you agree and if what I did is kind of correct I can enter the procedure in the wiki in the next days.

Last edited by marmota; 2010-05-30 at 20:35.

Originally Posted by marmota View Post
1) I created a new partition in the sd card
2) I mounted the current Debian image with the command
Code:
qmount /path/to/currentimgfile /debian
3) I mounted the new formatted partition
Code:
mount /dev/mmcblkxxx /floppy
4) I copied the content of /debian to the partition
And here is where my problems started. The commands provided in the previous post are:
Code:
cd /debian
/home/user/img-install/ tar cf - . | (cd /opt/; tar xvf -)
Unfortunately I got errors (not able to access) the directory /home/user/img-install/

I thus run only the command
Code:
tar cf - . | (cd /opt/; tar xvf -)
However I have some questions:
Is it using /home/user/img-install/ because it is the directory where the image was installed?
Are there (in /home/user/img-install/) files needed in the partition?

5) restart device: I did so and the device was almost bricked. I had to remove the sd card before being able to restart the N900.

I reinserted the sd and

6) Edit the /home/user/.chroot
changing the IMGFILE to the partition where the files are

And easy debian started with 2 more gb free!
I'm afraid you mixed something up. If you really did the above, you haven't transferred the files to your memory card, but into /opt, which is residing actually within /home.

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
rebhana: thanks! another question, from where can i launch the compiled files? because i keep getting "permission denied" error from all the location i`ve tried.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ NE-Scotland
ops I corrected in the text ... I transferred the files in floppy where the partition was mounted not in opt. Sorry for that. I just copied from previous guide. And /opt/ was not touched.

I tried to restart the device and everything is fine. However I would like to understand if the command has to be
Code:
cd /debian
or if
Code:
is enough.

Thank you very much and sorry for the mistake!

Last edited by marmota; 2010-05-30 at 20:41.

Originally Posted by marmota View Post
ops I corrected in the text ... I transferred the files in floppy where the partition was mounted not in opt. Sorry for that. I just copied from previous guide. And /opt/ was not touched.

I tried to restart the device and everything is fine. However I would like to understand if the command has to be
Code:
cd /debian
or if
Code:
is enough.

Thank you very much and sorry for the mistake!
The "/home/user/img-install/" should simply be omitted indeed (that was obviously part of the path of tar in some other installation). Also one should better use the usual mount point for the N900, "/.debian" (after a closechroot). There is actually an app (pwsafe) which puts files into "/debian", which then get masked, though that should in principle be harmless since it's only temporary.

Last edited by rebhana; 2010-05-30 at 21:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pingu View Post
rebhana: thanks! another question, from where can i launch the compiled files? because i keep getting "permission denied" error from all the location i`ve tried.
Somewhere earlier in this thread, qole explained that executables must not reside in /home/user/MyDocs or any other FAT partition, because you won't be able to set the executable flag. Is that your problem?

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Uploaded a new version to Extras-Devel (Easy Debian 0.9.47). This has the PR 1.2 keyboard workaround. Anyone tried it yet?

I'm still ambivalent about the "su -" issue, so I have added two new commands to do it "the rebhana way", you can use "sudo debsu command" or "debbie-sue command" to get the different functionality.

Can I have other beta-testers (especially non-English locales) experiment with debbie-sue and report to me? If I get a general consensus that rebhana's right, then I'll move to "su - " as the default method.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Downloaded and tested 0.9.47 for myself. It works as expected. The secret is to put the keyboard focus icon on your desktop and hit that icon to return to LXDE instead of going back to LXDE through the Dashboard.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Uploaded a new version to Extras-Devel (Easy Debian 0.9.47). This has the PR 1.2 keyboard workaround. Anyone tried it yet?

I'm still ambivalent about the "su -" issue, so I have added two new commands to do it "the rebhana way", you can use "sudo debsu command" or "debbie-sue command" to get the different functionality.

Can I have other beta-testers (especially non-English locales) experiment with debbie-sue and report to me? If I get a general consensus that rebhana's right, then I'll move to "su - " as the default method.
I'm almost won over just by your choice of cute names!

So, Italians and Norwegians, can you confirm that debbie-sue is more joy than debbie? In my experience, programs like zim don't work well without "su -", and some others don't even start (gramps). And in the terminal, localization is not complete without it.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze