Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Florida
I believe this is the culprit for many users Heavy CPU usage and Battery drain and not due to 1.2 . It seems many are thinking that it is simply the hildon-desktop or emmc, or something. It seems that when autodisconnect would close the idle connection, all widgets were simultaneousy trying to refresh to no avail causing heavy cpu usage and very quick battery drain, which even caused mine to lock up overnight and die. After I have uninstalled autodisconnect, everything is great! Any thoughts? Can we finally let 1.2 of the hook?...

Originally Posted by christye View Post
After reading several topics on this forum about people updating to PR1.2, many of them seemed to get an increase in battery life.
Mine pre 1.2 was poor... I could go a full day if I was careful. Once I even had 20% left by 11pm! I use AutoDisconnect to keep internet connections closed etc... Email & calendar are synced every hour. (Despite my WM6 device being able to stay connected and push email to me for 2 days between charges, that's beside the point)
I updated to 1.2 and things got.. worse. I flashed the EMMC and the <other bit which name currently eludes me> My CPU is stuck at 100% all the time, resulting in an even shorter battery life.
According to Conky, 'hildon-home' is the culprit. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how/why it is using so much CPU time?
I did try to overclock it an hour or so ago, and all it did then was stick at 1000MHz all of the time, followed by a restart.
Any suggestions would be very welcome!

... I had the exact same problem for the first few days after 1.2 update, and through days of rigourous troubleshooting sparked after waking up at 8am to a phone I took off the charger because it was fully charged at 3:45 am (4 hours? ..idle? really?) At first I couldn't even get it to boot up...
... well the Hildon-desktop was the culprit or part of it anyways... I noticed after a few days that this only happened once my network connection was off. it seemed that my desktop needed to have a constant internet connection to work. Well this couldn't be right? never had the problem before... I then started thinking about what I had installed that was network related. I have been very careful what to download after 1.2, especially from testing or devel. the ONLY app i had from devel repository was autodisconnect (which I love by the way) I remember noticing that Autodisconnect was no longer in testing repos as it was before 1.2 but downloaded it anyways. it turns out that autodisconnect was actually the real culprit. As soon as I uninstalled it and rebooted my problems dissappeared. It has no been 2 days with no issues with the hildon-desktop or heavy cpu usage! everything is great, I just have to wait for autodisconnect to update out of development before I can enjoy it again Now I just have to disconnect manually until then.

Thanks for any insight guys!

how did you get it to install and display. I can get it installed but i don't see the icon to configure it.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland, Aaland Islands
Originally Posted by cenwesi View Post
how did you get it to install and display. I can get it installed but i don't see the icon to configure it.
You'll find them under settings in program menu.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Correect, AutoDisconnect has moved to the settings panel.
Interesting, I am using AD withz PR1.2 and battery life seems to be the same as before. I'll keep an eye on it, results should be revealing since I use push e-mail in conjunction with Nokia Messaging...

I was also having battery drain issues after updating to PR 1.2 and noticed that hildon-desktop was using 3 - 8% of the CPU when idling. Previously with PR 1.1, CPU usage would idle between 0 - 4% and hildon-desktop was around 0.33%.

Something was definitely not right. After doing some troubleshooting, I believed the cause is the Wifi Switcher application which disables the wlan/ wifi. It sounds like it could be the same network related issue that Jayboy5 had with Autodisconnect.

Anyway I uninstalled it and rebooted and now my idle CPU usage seems to be back to normal! Hope this helps someone.

"Autodisconnect causing severe CPU usage and battery drain after 1.2!!! "
Well... this is definately not PR.1.2 fault... cos Autodisconnect is not Nokia official apps. lol... should report this to the apps creator,

Last edited by radiowc; 2010-06-01 at 17:41.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
'Definately' is definitely not spelled with an 'A'. Besides, yes it could very well be a problem in hildon-desktop. Hildon-desktop stalling upon a network disconnect is uuhm... not exactly a model perfect design. Agree?

However, had an open WIFI connection all afternoon long along with a vpnc/vpnc-gui and battery was about 50% down after some intense surfing. No disconnects actually occured. Is vpnc also a process which disrupts ADs actions?

I think I might have had the same problem, and to improve battery life I uninstalled auto-disconnect, and wifi-switcher.

This has introduced a problem, now my N900 won't connect to any wireless networks, nor 3G. I'm trying to find clues in related threads, but no joy yet. All suggestions welcome!