Active Topics

Closed Thread
Texrat, where are you?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Keep chucking woods into the flame and it'll keep on getting bigger.
Tools! Stop stoking it! :P
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by spanner View Post
OK, you don't have an N900 any more. We all wish you the best of luck with your new phone.

Some of your points have merit, all of them have been discussed to death already.

Please say goodbye and then STFU.
Best response to one of these threads ... EVER!
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ space coast
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
And why do you think we care?
I think you cARE BECAUSE YOU JUST HAD TO POST IN THIS THREAD.
oopscps slipped but I like the effect.

Threads like this die very fast when you don't answer them. Very fast.

Usually the poster moves on since he gets no response and life goes on with other useless posts.Wait- I'm not saying his was a useless post. There's a modicum of truth and I agree with some of the points, and I'm moving on to another phone just like he has.

I won't argue too much about what it is or isn't, but I do think that there are other phones out there that will offer more overall enjoyable experiences than the n900 can give to a lot of users.

When those users move on life will be somewhat more laid back on these forums.

One more thing..freedom, a lot of users bought this device for the freedom. Freedom to develop on an open platform. Stick with that thought. Freedom also applys here, in posting and not posting.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I wonder what value Underworld thinks his post has. Amazing.

Originally Posted by h3llraz0r View Post
Low battery life despite the low processor speed and stepping
Maemo stability very poor compared to current phone OSes
Issues with SIM card not detected in slot with no fixes as of now
Fragile mini USB slot
Promise of freedom with linux but the average user can't do more than on any other OS and is actually restricted by the limited number of developpers and clouded by its fanbase
GUI not fluid, stutters most of the time - EVEN WHEN NO APPS ARE RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND
Plastic cover is cheap and seems that the clips are on the brink of breaking everytime I pull it out it to replace the SIM card that is not detected.
SIM card holder is the worst I've seen yet, what a shame Nokia
No true auto-focus when taking pictures unless button manually pressed half way beforehand
Community members mock the average user
Very slow updates from Nokia with none of the needed major changes are brought to the OS that has been ditched.
Update failures in many phones, can turn it into a brick
Windows X64 not supported for manual flashing
Wrong time on received SMS
No official MMS app
GPS software is outdated and is pretty much useless without voice navigation
GPS takes forever to sync with a satelitte unless it uses an internet connection. No such problem with the N95.
Very small choice of applications in both the ovi store and the application manager
Stylus fell off and got lost after 2 weeks
Earpiece volume is very low and the fix is to physically make the hole bigger
Music player is too primitive with no equalizer or good alternative players around, yes i've tried them all.
Setting up Gmail on it is a hassle and is probably not possible
Cheap resistive screen gets scratched very easily unless you buy a screen protector
OVI store still not public and probably never will be
MeeGo ditched, N900 left without a future
Poor wifi performance considering it's "g"
Problems with file transfers over bluetooth
Phone gets very slow after installing more than ~15 applications ( about the whole app store)
Application manager extremely slow in seaching, updating and installing
Can't hard reset unless you accept the major risk of bricking your phone if done wrong, and phone can brick even if done right.
Phone rarely resets when plugging it to the USB slot
Possibly no more major updates
Possibly no more flash 10.1
After months of complaints and threads, Nokia has not fixed most of these issues, if not any, despite the long wait.
Phone is not covered (warranty) in many countries.
i agree with lots of this..

but cover is not bad for this phone.. its solid!!.
screen doesnt get scratched easily.. its the protective film which gets marks more easily.
few of the issues have been fixed in pr1.2.
as long as you are covered under warranty, its not a reason to sell your n900
setting up gmail is dead easy... hotmail aswell
USB slot is good in some and bad in some

trust me, the back cover is easy to remove compared to the HTC desire.
personally, i dont care about the sim card holder because i never took the sim card out since i got it in feb...

In that case, here'a a cute kitty

My N900 probably has more problems than any other N900 in the whole world. Mine has gone to Nokia for repairs because it is now only charging from PC. Does not charge from power supplies. I am hoping that they just give me a new device due to mine having two huge scratches and due to the millions of problems I have had on mine. But I think I will be keeping mine unless the rumours of a HTC Desire with keyboard are true. Despite all the issues I have had with the N900 I love the 32gb plus SD card and I find it almost impossible to do without Conboy. Wish HTC would release a device with 32gb internal memory. Don't understand why their devices do not have proper internal memory.

Anyway here are my thoughts on some of your issues:

Originally Posted by h3llraz0r View Post
Low battery life despite the low processor speed and stepping

My battery does not last more than 6 hours if I connect to msn chat, etc but other devices other than blackberry have this same problem

Maemo stability very poor compared to current phone OSes

My device is terribly unstable but don't know if it maemo or just the fact that my N900 is rubbish. I envy all those iphone owners that have fluid devices.

Fragile mini USB slot

As I mentioned my N900 has been sent for repairs due to faulty USB port. Disappointed with Nokia. Their devices used to be known for being very sturdy and not having manufacturing defects, etc.

Promise of freedom with linux but the average user can't do more than on any other OS and is actually restricted by the limited number of developpers and clouded by its fanbase

Agree with this but Conboy alone is so amazing I almost don't even care if no other app ever comes out. I am sure many others have apps they find amazing but agree would be nice to have more apps. Maybe the partnership with Intel will help otherwise Nokia can never compete with google or apple for apps.

GUI not fluid, stutters most of the time - EVEN WHEN NO APPS ARE RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND

Agree. But don't know if it is general problem or just my crap N900.

Community members mock the average user

Common problem here. People are a bit too sensitive about anything negative said about Nokia. I wish it was not so. I find it a bit annoying.

Very slow updates from Nokia with none of the needed major changes are brought to the OS that has been ditched.

I think Nokia has certainly lost its way in recent years. Big shame. Allowed apple to come out of nowhere and steal the show and now are being left behind by HTC.

No official MMS app

Yeah Nokia talk about unnecessarily leaving basic features out. Let's not even talk about all the basic missing phone features (if you do some will just excuse it by saying it is not a phone).

GPS software is outdated and is pretty much useless without voice navigation
GPS takes forever to sync with a satelitte unless it uses an internet connection. No such problem with the N95.

Only tried using Ovi maps once and it crashed my device so can't comment on how poor it is.

Music player is too primitive with no equalizer or good alternative players around, yes i've tried them all.

Bought the N900 to function as my phone/mp3/mp4 player. The stuttering on videos for first few seconds is shameful and the media player in general is worse than a £10 mp3 player.

Setting up Gmail on it is a hassle and is probably not possible

Use Nokia Messaging and you are fine. I have push email on my msn, yahoo and gmail accounts just by running them through Nokia Messaging.

Cheap resistive screen gets scratched very easily unless you buy a screen protector

Yeah mine got terribly scratched even though I was taking very good care of it.
You listed some other issues but a bit tired. But at least I think I have shown that yeah I agree the N900 does have some serious issues. I guess that is why in the UK it doesn't seem to be offered direct in store by the mobile networks.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Best response to one of these threads ... EVER!
True words, but I can see people wanting to vent, since if they bought the device and expected a smartphone and consumer-level friendly design- it aint' here. I would be ticked if paid over $500 and did not research it (only one's self to blame). One would then (as human nature does) lash out and post a "drive-by" of discontent. It is "good therapy"

N900 has too many good things to get rid of it, though. The media function and amazing sound quality from 3.5mm make it a keeper. Playing full freakin' MAME on it and some of my favorite PSX games is a sweet bonus

added:

Ah, who is kidding who here?! This puppy plays full freakin' MAME and not just the MAME4ALL very old romset- I guess only REAL gamers can appreciate the significance of this.... Am I off message now?

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-06-01 at 12:46.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I wonder what value Underworld thinks his post has. Amazing.
the same value yours has

Closed Thread

Tags
dont reply, flandry rocks, i like turtles, n900 sux, our favorite, punching bag, worst fone