Active Topics

Poll: should I buy the N900?
Poll Options
should I buy the N900?

hi, i've been wondering if the n900 is a good phone to buy. i got credit at the nokia store and it's time for me to change my iphone 3g. during the past few days i've been reading threads about owners who are not happy with the phone and some members getting frustrated about them complaining. can someone kindly tell me if i should or should not get the n900? by what i've understood it seems that the n900 is a beta phone supported by the community. does this mean this phone is better than other phones for a general user like me?

general user = does not use the for the full N900 potential it got

so i would say no

The Following User Says Thank You to therock For This Useful Post:
Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
Originally Posted by ffffffuuuuuu View Post
hi, i've been wondering if the n900 is a good phone to buy. i got credit at the nokia store and it's time for me to change my iphone 3g. during the past few days i've been reading threads about owners who are not happy with the phone and some members getting frustrated about them complaining. can someone kindly tell me if i should or should not get the n900? by what i've understood it seems that the n900 is a beta phone supported by the community. does this mean this phone is better than other phones for a general user like me?

if youre jumping from a 3G to an N900, you have a big change coming. if youre a general user and like the apple way of things, with the updates and alot of those kinds of apps, id say no, dont buy it.

The Following User Says Thank You to optimistprime For This Useful Post:
Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
U want to buy the N900 because you got credit from nokia? If that's your reason, please don't waste your credit-- tell them to send you a check or wait for another phone from them...

The Following User Says Thank You to x61 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by therock View Post
general user = does not use the for the full N900 potential it got

so i would say no
my iphone is jailbroken and has alot of applications and potential for more

what do you mean by full n900 potential?

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by ffffffuuuuuu View Post
does this mean this phone is better than other phones for a general user like me?
No, it means the exact opposite. Really, don't buy it.

The Following User Says Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:
I'm guessing this is yet another version of one of our resident trolls, since this is nearly verbatim from the last "should I buy it, I read a lot of problems here" post from a week ago.

Just in case it isn't, yes, you should buy 5 or 6 of them. Because I say so, that's why.

The Following User Says Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
This is troll territory - stay away.

I like my n900 especially with PR1.2 update.

I say buy it.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
I am a 'general user' and would say; yes, why not?
You can easily get more speed from it thanks to the community, it does most everything I want and need it to do, with the purchase of sygic, and with the potential for USB host mode coming (again, thanks to the community), I have never been happier with a purchase in regards to a mobile phone/device.
My only niggles are with the smoothness of the vid cam, however, with overclocking and the most recent firmware update... It's almost there!
Also, Docs-to-go will bring out a version to allow editing of office documents, now that we have the latest firmware... Just don't expect a full app store at this time... There is an excellent community driven effort here to add missing functionality to the device.
But, without installing any other software, sure... you can use it simply.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fumanchu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
No don't buy it. The iphone is a finished product and is fully supported by a community and the manufacturer. The N900 is a beta that the manufacturer never really meant to release and if it wasn't for the community wouldn't exist. If it wasn't for the community efforts you wouldn't even be able to get it working to a level you can say "I have a text message."

The fact Nokia's own software doesn't work on the N900 is evidence enough of their (dis)like for it. Ovi maps, Ovi suite and Ovi store being the three main examples of half finished and poorly thought out software.

The only plus for the N900 is the Linux, which you have to jail break to get root permissions etc, to really have a chance at breaking your phone. When you do you can get lots of extras and will have to learn linux, which most general users shoudln't do. Most of the software are ports from linux and not really mobile apps. Most of the ones I have are needed to just give basic functionality, nothing is around that do things like online banking, gas bills, bill calculators and the other gimmicks the iphone has.

Most of the other key arguments to the N900 are gone now. There isn't much argument for the N900 playing all file types as 'Core player' on my HTC tytn 2 plays every file type as well. Large screen size died when the Desire and Sense came from HTC (my n900 is piddling in comparison to one of the HTC models out now. The desire and Nexus boast more powerful CPu's and so the N900 has multitasking as the last real thing I can think of that works with little competition. (Though I still argue my tytn 2 can multitask, with more than one software open and selectable from the X program.)

Save your cash, save your annoyane and save the credit. Though I can't suggest any Nokia phone I would buy, can you cash it in for something else?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twigleaf1976 For This Useful Post:

Tags
it's h3lldick, sad h3lldick