Active Topics

Poll: should I buy the N900?
Poll Options
should I buy the N900?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Sigh. Seriously? ever week we have to answer this question?
We are all here to help the community grow but don't people do research anymore? you must have "googled" something to end up in this forum. Why not read detailed reviews? watch youtube videos?

Yes its harsh but getting fed up of these threads popping so often.
P.S. quite convenient that your current phone is an Apple 3G.

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 274 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
If you don't miss all those thousands of mini-apps form Apples Appstore, like a phone you can hack all you want and are interested in a pocket-sized computer, I'd say buy a N900. You dont even have to be that technical person (some brains required) since you always (at least I have) get help from here. And then my personal opinion: I like this phone and haven't regretted buying it a single minute, so if you fit in the description above, I say go fot it!

The Following User Says Thank You to MiK546 For This Useful Post:
do u really wanna get fu**ed up. I guess so. Then u should buy n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to CooL_HunK For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I say buy it and tell as many of your friends to buy also because the more N900's that are sold the more Nokia will think of giving support for it !.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I say buy it and tell as many of your friends to buy also because the more N900's that are sold the more Nokia will think of giving support for it !.
This is bull... haven't you noticed the price of this device is dropping like a rock from the sky? Give yourself a year, may less, and nokia will even forgot they produced this device... just like my old 6620.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to x61 For This Useful Post:
i`m a general user too and i dont regret buying it, although it has some issues,

i really love the desktop screens and the way you can customize them, integrated skype, the webbrowser, the camera is good, etc.

downside are the missing apps and the fact that u need to download a lot of third party/community apps to get things going..

if you are willing to invest time on forums like these for troubleshooting then you should get it

The Following User Says Thank You to Raubtier For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I've been known to always state this... that if you have to ask, I'd say no.

And to be honest, with MeeGo looming and with only community support for the next OS, I'd suggest holding off on Nokia's offerings.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
This is the best phone i ever had! If you like linux you wont regret this.

The Following User Says Thank You to supwner For This Useful Post:
After the PR 1.2 fiasco (many people not being being able to upgrade), I'd say a big NO.

I am veteran Linux user and a professed anti-mainstream guy, but the update really showed a lot to me. I updated mine OTA using the commandline using 3 commands (after dicking around). A simple thing that could be scripted into the actual upgrade software, but it seems Nokia's developers can't even do that. Further, the fact that people couldn't even perform the upgrade using the PC installer speaks volumes to how much they care about this product.

I've had the N900 for a few weeks now and I do enjoy it as a nice toy for hackers and those who like dicking around. But I think most people would do better elsewhere; it's not worth the hassle and it is now clear it is not on Nokia's priority list. The items that were supposed to separate it from the crowd have not even materialised: fully-functioning Skype video or Flash 10.1, while the crowd is getting those features as we speak.

If you want a wonderful Linux toy, then yes, but otherwise, I think you're best off waiting for a better Nokia offering or going elsewhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stochashtic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ffffffuuuuuu View Post
hi, i've been wondering if the n900 is a good phone to buy. i got credit at the nokia store and it's time for me to change my iphone 3g. during the past few days i've been reading threads about owners who are not happy with the phone and some members getting frustrated about them complaining. can someone kindly tell me if i should or should not get the n900? by what i've understood it seems that the n900 is a beta phone supported by the community. does this mean this phone is better than other phones for a general user like me?
nope!! get a htc with android on it...

Nokia is not the way to go at the moment

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UNderworld For This Useful Post:

Tags
it's h3lldick, sad h3lldick