Active Topics

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Newport Beach, CA
Well, I've played around with the settings alot and still can't get secure pop access working on the 770, I was able to d/l messages headers once but not again since, sending seems to be fine.

Using the following ports:
POP 995
SMTP 465

Still get SSL socket layers though I've played around with multiple permutations for the various login options in the Advanced option windows/tabs.

Anyone have any luck or is it a problem with the slightly beta feeling mail client?

Dave

From my hours and hours of experimenting with the mail app, I can say that it is still a bit unstable. I would suggest that you go for an online email client for the mean time. Since you have gmail, go to gmail.com directly.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
I've not had any trouble using Gmail with "ginbox"[1], which allows me to manage my Gmail account from a web browser most of the time, but use POP3 access to download unprocessed/new messages to my PDA/N770.

However, I'd agree that the email client is not particuarly useful: it's slow (incredibly so - using an HTML rendered embedded to show plain text emails is silly, at best); and it doesn't allow proper quoting[2] (making it bad netiquette to actually use).

Cheers,

Andrew
  1. http://www.bleb.org/tools/ginbox/
  2. http://www.webfoot.com/advice/email.context.html?Email

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ California, USA
gmail's site not working for me tonight. Trys forever, but just get a blank screen.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Newport Beach, CA
OK, I figured out why things didn't seem like they were working for me. Apparently I had set the Gmail POP/SMTP server settings properly after all, but the way the 770's e-mail client deals with emails whose headers it's already downloaded screws things up a tad in my situation.

The 770's e-mail client only d/l's emails that have not been marked as "Read". I have an email client on my main computer/laptop checking the same account every few minutes for new emails but leaving them in the inbox. The Nokia's email client when it checks won't d/l those headers as the laptop's email client has downloaded them alread and marked them as read. Thus it constantly looks like to the 770's email client that there aren't any new emails though lots of old "Read" ones are still in the inbox on the POP server itself.

Actually, my laptop's email client does the same thing, if the 770's already marked the headers as read, it won't download the emails either. It's sort of a limitation of the POP protocol, it was never ment to have more than 1 email client checking the account without things getting out of sync. That's why they invented IMAP I guess.

My solution is to have Gmail also forward all my emails to a second (less used Yahoo POP capable) account and have the 770 check the Yahoo POP account only (this option can be activated in Gmail under POP account options settings). Now both my laptop and the 770 can check email without tripping each other up.

I also have the option of using Gmail's secure SMTP server instead of the unencrypted Yahoo SMTP, thus giving me secure outgoing e-mail sends (though incoming aren't encrypted on the 770) and a copy of my e-mails will always end up on the Gmail server as a record/transcript of my outgoing emails (this is one of the things about Gmail that I like, is that stuff sent via their SMTP is archived in your sent folder as well).

What we really need is for Gmail to do IMAP, not this pop nonsense, then again, it is a free service that provides a good web interface, very generous storage, secure pop/smtp and it does work pretty well most of the time so I can't complain much...the price sure is right.

BTW, here are the POP/SMTP settings that are working for me:

User: Your full gmail email address including the @gmail.com part
Password: you know
Email address: you CAN put a different reply to e-mail address here if you want to, it doesn't have to be your gmail address.
POP Server: pop.gmail.com
Password Authentication: normal
Security: Secure port (POP3S)
Incoming e-mail port: 995

SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP authentication: Login
(these are under the Other tab in the Advanced settings)
Security: SSL
Outgoing e-mail port: 465

Hopefully the next version of the 770's email client is smarter/more flexible.

Dave

Last edited by DaveC; 2005-12-11 at 10:54.

Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
BTW, here are the POP/SMTP settings that are working for me:

User: Your full gmail email address including the @gmail.com part
Password: you know
Email address: you CAN put a different reply to e-mail address here if you want to, it doesn't have to be your gmail address.
POP Server: pop.gmail.com
Password Authentication: normal
Security: Secure port (POP3S)
Incoming e-mail port: 995

SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP authentication: Login
(these are under the Other tab in the Advanced settings)
Security: SSL
Outgoing e-mail port: 465

Hopefully the next version of the 770's email client is smarter/more flexible.

Dave
not working for me. I am newb at this even with outlook. Do I have to configure anything on my router in any way? or anywhere else.

I'm getting this error

"Authentication to pop.gmail.com failed. Please check account server settings for ####@gmail.com."

"Authentication to pop.gmail.com failed. Please check account server settings for ####@gmail.com."

Look in advanced, under the retrieval tab, see where it says Password authentication, that should be 'normal'.

I was getting that too.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State, USA
I would love for the above to work, but it doesn't. I also don't have an 'Other' tab in the Advanced Settings dialog. I know my OS version is relatively new as it has the wikipedia desktop search that wikipedia says was added in Nov 2006.

..or does that mean I am outdated?

Either way the settings above and every other possible configuration just gives me errors.

On a more positive note you can find a nice mobile version of your email at http://m.gmail.com