Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by anandv76 View Post
yesterday, i couldnt get keyboard focus on lxde at all as the top panel wasnt working first and then disappeared completely...
If you somehow managed to screw up the LXDE configuration files, the easiest solution would be imo to just de-install and re-install Easy Debian through the application manager, leaving the image as is.

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
MaltedVomit:

It would be useful to me if you started LXDE from the terminal, instead of the icon. At the terminal, enter:

Code:
debbie xephwm5
I'm hoping that when the panel goes into the continuous open/close loop, that there will be some messages sent to the terminal that we can use to determine what's going on.

It looks like I get "Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/..." a few times, then "unrecognised device identifier!" twice, and then things are quiet.

Could you see if you get any more messages than that?

Also, I find closing the chroot really can fix a lot of problems. Use the "Close Debian" icon before starting again.
Sorry qole, i already reinstalled and that fixed the problem. should i be closing the chroot every time i close out of easy debian? or just when i have a problem? I've been logging out or shutting down when i close out because i read to do that somewhere in this thread.

It looks like I get "Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/..." a few times, then "unrecognised device identifier!" twice, and then things are quiet.

Could you see if you get any more messages than that?
qole, sorry for having prevented a closer analysis.

I have looked into the error messages and warnings I'm getting from launching xephwm5, and there are a few more involving inet6:
Code:
(process:5900): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/Nokia-N900-42-11:1
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6
error opening security policy file /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi, removing from list!
unrecognised device identifier!
unrecognised device identifier!
FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.
The warning about unsupported Locale is btw absent when I call ephwm5 with debbie-sue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
MaltedVomit:

No big deal, I would just like to know what causes problems like the one you suffered.

I find that hitting the "Close Debian" icon after you've logged out of LXDE is a good practice, just to ensure that nothing from your Debian session is lingering in the background, eating your battery. Also, I think keeping the image open can cause other performance issues.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Please, anyone who is non-English speaking, with some technical savvy, could you verify rebhana's observations about "debbie-sue" producing better results than "debbie"?

You need to have Easy Debian 0.9.49 or 0.9.50 installed.

Please start LXDE from the icon, as you normally do, and try to type non-english symbols into the terminal. Logout. Then, run "debbie-sue xephwm5" from the terminal, and try the same thing again. Does "debbie-sue" improve things for you?

I would like to determine how important this issue is to the wider audience of Easy Debian.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
MaltedVomit:
I find that hitting the "Close Debian" icon after you've logged out of LXDE is a good practice, just to ensure that nothing from your Debian session is lingering in the background, eating your battery. Also, I think keeping the image open can cause other performance issues.
I see, makes sense. I placed a shutdown icon on my lxde desktop to make it a little easier to shut down. So just a thought, would it be possible to create an icon on the lxde desktop for shutting down and closing the chroot? basically just one "exit" button that would shutdown and close everything the proper way. it would cut down a couple steps and hopefully avoid some of the possible problems you talked about.

What's the fastest Micro SDHC card anybody has run Easy-Debian from? Has anybody tried a Class 10? Is there a noticeable difference depending on Class?

The Following User Says Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MaltedVomit View Post
I see, makes sense. I placed a shutdown icon on my lxde desktop to make it a little easier to shut down. So just a thought, would it be possible to create an icon on the lxde desktop for shutting down and closing the chroot? basically just one "exit" button that would shutdown and close everything the proper way. it would cut down a couple steps and hopefully avoid some of the possible problems you talked about.
That's not so trivial, because the shutdown of LXDE is a command issued in the Debian chroot environment, and the closing of chroot needs to be done from outside that.

I personally have the Debian image mounted most of the time with no adverse effect. However I have a CPU monitor in the status bar which would alarm me if something would run in the background drowning the battery. When that happens, it's usually something within Maemo, not Debian. However, if you are not completely sure what you have done within Debian, it's probably better to close everything afterwards.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
I have some things to say.

First, Qole, I am using a N810. NOW how do I extract it?

Second, this goes to everyone. Can SOMEONE tell me the boot order(s) for a N810?

wolfs: head over to this post in the N810 thread and read my instructions in that post and my next ones.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze