Active Topics

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
Mine will not refresh when I hit send and receive. It will update the time so it looks like it refreshed, but it doesn't check my mail.

My workaround is to open email, tap on account, tap on inbox, let it refresh that, then go back to the account screen and hit send and receive. Sometimes I have to do it again though, but it works almost every time.

@das scglumpfie- if i am online the automatic refresh works as it should do!

@ spanner
Originally Posted by spanner View Post
It certainly should mean that you're always online. Try this:
1) Close programs
2) Choose "internet connections" -> "Connect Automatically" -> "Always Ask"
3) Disconnect from whatever connection you're on at the moment.
4) Choose "internet connections" -> "Connect Automatically" -> <your_network_cell_provider>
5) At this point, I get connected: I have the circle with 2 arrows appear in my status bar. This means I'm online, even though no program is asking for an internet connection. What happens when you do this?
when i choose settings->connect automatically->my provider - i do not get connected to the internet! what happens is that whenever i go online like for e.g open the webbrowser, refresh the mail client by pressend "send/receive" it goes online and doesnt ask me which connection i want. if i choose settings->connect automatically->always ask, it asks me which connection i want when i open the browser, refresh mail etc.

is my n900 not doing what it is supposed to do or yours/ his? would be nice to hear a third person give feedback

I don't use omweather, and based on that behaviour I don't want to. If I've disconnected from the internet, I want to stay disconnected until I say otherwise.
but thats exactly what i chose, if you dont want it to refresh simply choose "never" and it wont go online.

Simply: yes they do. What, are you billed for your internet by the minute? This was apparently an "always-online" device. For me, the only reason to be offline is battery life. And I usually carry a spare battery.
that exactly is my main concern, dont want to be online 24/7 just for the email client because of the battery performance...i want it to go online receive mail and forward it to me every hour, that makes more sense to me.

update: ok, i think i know whats going on... i set the search interval to never under settings-> internet connections assuming that it was searching for wlan (i have no wlan)! upon changing it to every 5 min it immediately went online...

but if its not searching for wifi, what exactly is it searching for every 5,10, 15 etc. minutes??

Last edited by Raubtier; 2010-06-04 at 00:28.

couldn't you just set it up to check once an hour and connect automatically and use the auto disconnect app?

set your search interval to never if you use your cell phones apn to connect and your battery will last a heck of a lot longer.

I noticed my 3g i can leave my 3g internet connection on and my battery lasts all day. That search interval really drains it. Also, skype and any other kept alive connection drains it. I used my battery up in 6 hours before but now i can get it to go 10-12.

i still dont understand whether that search intervall is looking for wifi or not..

if its looking for wifi i am absolutely puzzled, because if i set it to never i am not online after i set the connect automatically to my providers internet connection. if i however choose the interval "every 5 minutes" it automatically goes online (i have no wlan!).

Last edited by Raubtier; 2010-06-04 at 00:27.

it means it searches for any connection. Connect automatically will connect to the one you prefer if it is found in the search. It will connect if it finds the connection you choose. If you choose your providers apn you are just wasting your battery.

Do this, search interval never, connect automatically put anything you want I would suggest your provider apn because you will save your battery. Then, download the 2g/3g select app and the auto disconnect app. Leave it on 2g unless you need the 3g speed boost, or manually connect to wifi if you want full speed. You will be amazed how much longer your battery lasts.

but the problem is that as soon as i set the search to "never" that i dont have an automatic internet connection although i have it set to my provider! it only goes online automatically if i put the search to a certain interval..i can walk around this issue by setting it to a certain interval and pressing save (it goes online then) and then putting it to "never" afterwards, that actually works.

Last edited by Raubtier; 2010-06-03 at 23:27.

but if you have it on 2g mode with the search at never it will still stay connected to the internet as long as you connect it. With the search on never your battery will last all day even if you are connected to the internet all day

yes thats what i did! i still dont understand why i have to go through the fuss of puttig the search on a interval, wait till it connects and only then can put it to never...really weird..

i guess this is the only solution for the time being, but it would be much wiser if nokia would grant us the option of it establishing the connection by itself as mentioned earlier, that would save more battery..

thanks for the help!

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
this whole discussion only makes clear that we should have both behaviours.. as an option
people want different things..
I couldn't agree more. Someone who can express clearly what's required should post it in the brainstorm dedicated to Modest.

FWIW my Modest seems to be more reliable at updating regularly since PR1.2. But I do simply leave the 3G connection open when I'm out & about. I can see that some people may prefer a dialup-on-demand type behaviour...

I think this other problem that hit me has not been reported in this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54753

am I the only one that get his email tags spoiled every time the email client access my IMAP folders?