Got my "phone" earlier this week and I must admit that I am over the moon.

Upgraded from N95 8GB which was the best phone ever. I did however watch many N900 videos and tried to read everything I could.

I had 3 choices for upgrade HTC Desire (Android), Apple, N900.

This is not a review of the N900 (I think there are enough) but a few thoughts:

1) Got it and immediately did a Over the AIR (WiFi) upgrade to 1.2 (so not aware of any of the earlier problems)
2) Yes - everything on the phone works 100% (and then some) - IF you go directly to APP MANAGER and install a few things
- fMMS - works like a charm (had to change 2 settings)
- USSD - had to install an app (works 100% now)
- FM Radio - had to install an app (love the retro radio ap!)

YES: this is a GREAT PHONE (coming from the N95 8GB) because
1) Love the threaded SMS
2) Love the "indicators" - new SMS, new IM - basically anything you receive gets displayed as a yellow "sticky" for a few secs.
3) Installed WiFi Switch to stop phone searching for Wifi's (can be set elsewere, but easy on the top "taskbar").

YES: this is a GREAT MINI COMPUTER
1) Love the full Internet browser (best I have used)
2) Installed VNC app - quality is amazing to control my home PC (Windows 7 - quick and easy to use)
3) Networking: installed rootsh and I can change my route via terminal (that is the basis of my linux knowledge - google route on debain - type with own gateways)

BUT: Battery could be better (but my wife's 6 month old 6710 navigator is giving here less batterylife - and she is not the only one complaining)

FINALLY: This device is GREAT if you update / install a few extra apps. LUCKILY there are some great apps for the device.

I don't care if the don't release flash 10.1, meago, voice navigation for the device. For me it is the best phone I have ever used (perhaps I am biast with only having used the phone for 4 days) and it does 110% what I thought it would do (and ALOT more).

But your milage may vary....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasweb For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jasweb View Post
I looked at that one too. But Google's privacy track record put me right off.

Originally Posted by Ozzolupin View Post
Dears,

My problem with N900 is not the device, but the quality of its tasks and functions, plus the internal errors and the software crashes

for example: i'm facing now a problem that in my application manager,
when i open it it tells me " No application available"

so i can't download or update anything new now

the worse thing that i can't even uninstall a program as the same application manager crashes and gives me " application will close, interal error"

does anyone of you have a solution for this

and again. and i do really appreciate the device but suffering the lack of it's functionality

appreciating your feedback
Are you on T-Mobile in the US?
I had a similar problem and it seems pr1.2 updates the connection to a new location and the new location was detecting that i was using a cheapo plan and should upgrade my account. Make sure the access point is internet2.voicestream.com. you can do this through settings/internet connections. For me this alowed me to get all my applications back in app manager. If your not sure if this is the problem or not, try browsing the internet.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Tricase, Lecce (ITA)
i totally agree.

None 50 €, but 10 €....in which you would spend? in sygic? naaaa

angry birds level 1 and quick panorama OR roller castle when it up in the store

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ wolver
Whilst i do understand the ops gripe with Nokia (i owned a n97) i think its far from the N900s fault it is a epic bit of kit.

Originally Posted by jasweb View Post
Got my "phone" earlier this week and I must admit that I am over the moon.

Upgraded from N95 8GB which was the best phone ever. I did however watch many N900 videos and tried to read everything I could.

This is not a review of the N900 (I think there are enough) but a few thoughts:

1) Got it and immediately did a Over the AIR (WiFi) upgrade to 1.2 (so not aware of any of the earlier problems)
2) Yes - everything on the phone works 100% (and then some) - IF you go directly to APP MANAGER and install a few things
- fMMS - works like a charm (had to change 2 settings)
- FM Radio - had to install an app (love the retro radio ap!)

YES: this is a GREAT PHONE (coming from the N95 8GB) because
1) Love the threaded SMS
2) Love the "indicators" - new SMS, new IM - basically anything you receive gets displayed as a yellow "sticky" for a few secs.
3) Installed WiFi Switch to stop phone searching for Wifi's (can be set elsewere, but easy on the top "taskbar").

YES: this is a GREAT MINI COMPUTER
1) Love the full Internet browser (best I have used)
2) Installed VNC app - quality is amazing to control my home PC (Windows 7 - quick and easy to use)
3) Networking: installed rootsh and I can change my route via terminal (that is the basis of my linux knowledge - google route on debain - type with own gateways)

BUT: Battery could be better (but my wife's 6 month old 6710 navigator is giving here less batterylife - and she is not the only one complaining)

FINALLY: This device is GREAT if you update / install a few extra apps. LUCKILY there are some great apps for the device.

I don't care if the don't release flash 10.1, meago, voice navigation for the device. For me it is the best phone I have ever used (perhaps I am biast with only having used the phone for 4 days) and it does 110% what I thought it would do (and ALOT more).

But your milage may vary....
If you had bought the HTC Desire, what carrier would you get it on?

PR 1.2 includes broken USSD realization. I have to disassemble their libraries and modify them. Normal USSD realization IS NOT AVAILABLE now and would be available at the beginning of next week AS A SEPARATE package with a dirty hack. So ussd realization in 1.2 is worse, than in 1.1.

Originally Posted by KiberGus View Post
PR 1.2 includes broken USSD realization. I have to disassemble their libraries and modify them. Normal USSD realization IS NOT AVAILABLE now and would be available at the beginning of next week AS A SEPARATE package with a dirty hack. So ussd realization in 1.2 is worse, than in 1.1.
Can you explain what you mean by "realization" and how USSD is broken in PR1.2?

Ha...compensation.... yea right like that is gonna happen. Nokia will simply ignore you or tell you to get refund for the phone. They don't care about customers unfortunately.

The Following User Says Thank You to aligatro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bobaseth View Post
If you had bought the HTC Desire, what carrier would you get it on?
I am sort of stuck on Vodacom (in South Africa)...

But happy non the less. 3G (HSDPA) coverage is excellent where and when I need it.

So would have been on Vodacom. Pay in on my contract was about the same. Android might have a "brighter" future, but there are too many different devices and manufacturers.

So only the Nexus One (and for how long?) will get the newest firmware / OS version...

This is a real "multimedia computer" - the N95 8GB was just marketed that way (naughty Nokia) - but never truly delivered...

For me the N900 is THE ULTIMATE DEVICE (for my needs)