Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
I used Amorok but found it resource hungry, chewing up the CPU for indexing I think. Slow to respond but when it worked it was very good. Chewing resources though limited my use and I went off it. Could have been my PC, but a 2.6 GHZ intel, 2 GB RAM and ubuntu shouldn't be dying with just amorok. In fairness I wasn't using version 2. So might revisit that

This morning I have used Media Monkey, worked like a charm. Done all the editing of my 10GB on the phone, names, bands and pictures. Slightly slower than songbird but an absolute dream when I look in the media player now, I can see my albums. Only unknowns now are the ringtone sounds I have.

Still can't sync to memory card. Not a problem as I can live with that.

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
Winamp on windows or whatever comes with the linux distribution. Winamp is the only media player I've tried that will automatically sync to a usb device without trouble.
Last I used songbird it just dumped all the files unceremoniously onto the root folder whilst deleting all the ringtones. I filed bugs and the ringtone deletion was marked wontfix, and the folder setting bug was marked solved because you could manually edit some obtuse xml file to make it use another folder. I'm not going to bother with that software again.

Originally Posted by ZShakespeare View Post
Winamp on windows or whatever comes with the linux distribution. Winamp is the only media player I've tried that will automatically sync to a usb device without trouble.
Last I used songbird it just dumped all the files unceremoniously onto the root folder whilst deleting all the ringtones. I filed bugs and the ringtone deletion was marked wontfix, and the folder setting bug was marked solved because you could manually edit some obtuse xml file to make it use another folder. I'm not going to bother with that software again.
I had the same problem with Songbird and scrapped it. With Winamp, can you sync everything, album art, play lists and etc? How does it handle podcasts? thx.

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
I embed album art inside the mp3 files, and I can't say I've ever used a playlist or a podcast but configuration options are there for both.

7Digital integration is a plus too as it's the only service in canada that does not use DRM and is not apple.

If you use iTunes, I recommend iTunes Agent by Jaran Nilsen.

It syncs whatever playlist you create under iTunes. And each playlist can be put in a specific folder on the N900.

The official build only lets you sync one playlist to each N900 and does not sync mp4. From sourceforge forum: "iTunes Agent uses the drive letter to manage a registry of the different devices, hence if you set up two configurations which will match the same drive letter, only one of them will actually be syncronized by iTunes Agent as it will only detect one of them when performing the synchronization."

With a little patching and code (thanks to crea-doo ), I added multiple playlist syncing and mp4 support.

I like having a song folder, audio podcast folder, and video podcast folder. PM me if you want the build which includes mp4 support and crea-doo's multiple playlist patch.

The Following User Says Thank You to ceevee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Just noticed that Songbird 1.7.2 has just been released. This claims to support the N900 (and now also offers Windows 7 support).

Any experience?

I use Amarok to play music, but I refuse to use it to sync music to my n900. At least the vanilla version does not have more features than any normal file browser + vim.

Ever since I brought my first portable mp3 player (a Rio carbon) I use my own set of scripts (which turned java recently).
However, that program grow over the years about as controlled (and healthy) as cancer does... so I'm kinda sick of it by now.
If anyone knows of a program that matches the requirements below, please drop me a note

* Sync music based on playlists (I create playlists inside of amarok or with dcop based on score, artists, last.fm suggestions etc). I do not want all songs from some artist to end up on a device
* Properly create m3u playlists, compatible to the default media player. I will not start creating my own playlists twice, esp. not on this tiny display. And listening to songs from only 1 artist and such is just stupid.
* Support more than one "one file mask to rule them all" approach. Audiobooks have to be placed with care for nqaap to understand them.
* Once set up, I do not want to click n times, with n beeing the number of playlists I have (20 at the last count, still growing)
* On that note, songs removed from a "source" playlist should be removed from the device as well
* Optional: Tight integration with amarok; it's dynamic playlists would have to be exported manually before syncing. Which is a pain to do with 20 of them, even when using dcop.
* Optional, but highly welcome: "Backsyning". I.e. if I remove a song from the device manually between syncs because it sucks, then it should be removed from the source playlists on my PC as well.I do not want to see that song again...
* Be able to handle the same source playlist files under windows and linux. Possibly by hacking into the amarok collection database or via static playlists as I'm trying to do atm.
* Be flexible enough to easily handle a different music player and its new defects (on both sides, my PC and the maemo device)
My java hack collection does like 90 percent of that (why is there no percent sign on the maemo keyboard?).
Sooner or later, it'll support all of it... but as I said, its a mess.
Soo if anyone has any ideas..

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ | MAD | MEX | MOW |
i used iTunes for years but it made my system significantly slower. then i discovered mediamonkey a bit over two years ago, and i've never looked back. it worked great with my n95, and works great with my n900.

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Drag and drop for me

Originally Posted by juanenrique View Post
i used iTunes for years but it made my system significantly slower. then i discovered mediamonkey a bit over two years ago, and i've never looked back. it worked great with my n95, and works great with my n900.
If so, would you be kindly enough to give us instructions on how you set the whole thing up?! I am having problems with sync. My playlist are still incorrect (even with Pankaj Scripts)

Pretty desperate here, mediamonkey had been my friend for years now, kinda a waste to have to start all over with a linux + amorok combo when all my years of collected stats are gonna be lost :S

Thanks in advance for the help!

Greetings,

Leon