Active Topics

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Planet Earth for now!
wait a second, if this is the first phone to make a video call/chat why does it need a Google gmail account? Googletalk maybe? this was as others have said a press release for Sprint, and nothing else. videocalls were taking place in Europe 6-7 years ago .

The Following User Says Thank You to AgentZ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So... if that's true, how does the N900 even register into this? It's been mentioned a few times and I know that PR1.2 brought Skype video and Google Talk video calling, but not phone to phone, right?

Just trying to figure it out.
The N900 has a front-facing camera, so the hardware is there. Theoretically it could do video calling... maybe in PR1.3?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Flynx View Post
The N900 has a front-facing camera, so the hardware is there. Theoretically it could do video calling... maybe in PR1.3?
It could... but I'm amazed that nobody has confirmed that 100%. The Skype and Google Talk video chat have been already confirmed elsewhere.

AgentZ... I don't think it's a question of which phone did video chatting (ie. via Google Talk, Skype, Yahoo, etc.) but actual video calling - phone to phone. I think that's the part where people - or just myself - are inquiring.

The article though, it just screams bad journalism/hyperbole.

O-M-G

I have to retract my previous statement. Quoting the article...

"Then you have to configure the Qik video app"

Why didn't anyone point that out?

The article is complete crap.

gerbick - "It could... but...." is the tag-line of the N900.

I can confirm the Nokia N900 after firmware update PR 1.2 without any efforts you can perform video call via Skype, Gtalk and I was able to perform video call over SIP connecting to my person Asterisk VoIP server. The codec to be used in Asterisk is H.263.

It works on Edge, 3G and WiFi. Edge is slow but you can see slow images within frames.

There are to things to bear in mind:

1) After a successful connection with the other party, there will be a context sensitive option which will be available from the "Call" dropbox to allow video to be turn on the first time you call that party

2) Subsequent call you will have the video calling option automatically from the contact where you direct connect and you may turn off video calling

Here is a demo. It is in Greek, but you can manage to understand what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCGenvooc6s

Originally Posted by ypslinux View Post
I can confirm the Nokia N900 after firmware update PR 1.2 without any efforts you can perform video call via Skype, Gtalk
We know it can be done that way. gerbick was asking if the N900 is compatible with network-supported video calling.

There are only 3 requirements to make a network video call
1 - you have a video phone
2 - they have a video phone
3 - one of you knows the other's phone number.
(and, of course, your both on a network that supports video calling (none in U.S.))

Shouldn't require skype or qik or gtalk or anything like that.

Last edited by Flynx; 2010-06-07 at 06:40.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flynx For This Useful Post:
This is not the Sprint network bogging down... it's the Qik video servers.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/q...e-on-server-d/

Non of the USA mobile phone carriers provide video call. But all the Nokia ESeries and NSeries are able to perform video call where it is available because all of them has a front camera. In Europe and Asia. Must N

Here is a link from 2007 how to set video calling in a N95 phones over GSM network. No Skype, GTALK or SIP required. Just straight from the GSM provider

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/nokia/...o_calling.html

Originally Posted by ypslinux View Post
Here is a link from 2007 how to set video calling in a N95 phones over GSM network. No Skype, GTALK or SIP required. Just straight from the GSM provider

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/nokia/...o_calling.html
Yup - that's the idea. Now the question is - can anyone confirm if the N900 can do this?

Has anyone successfully completed a video call between n900 and a htc evo? regardless of who initiated? i have tried to no avail. the most i get is htc evo can see vid footage of me but i cant see anything from there camera. I hope its cool to post this here. i figured folks were here talking about this so its prob a good place. let6 me know if anyone has had any luck