Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Have you had this issue ?
Poll Options
Have you had this issue ?

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney AU
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Interesting. The FM radio is in no way related to hildon-home.
Yeah thanks, already conceded...

The Following User Says Thank You to sparkle58 For This Useful Post:
hi there,
since I installed PR1.2 and then had to reflash it due to the draining of my battery, today I discovered that while my phone is completely idle hildon-home has beenusing around 70% of CPU and 25% of memory.. making my batter life very short (today completely idle phone fully charged went to 7% battery level in 4 hours)!!

Please help

I have similar problem (and we're not alone, search for Shocking battery life). I see my hildon-desktop consuming battery for nothing.

It seems to me like complex system issue was introduced in PR 1.2.. :-(

Developers, please save us!

Hi,

hildon-home and hildon-'somethingelse' were killing my cpu too, especially with pr1.1, but not so mych with pr1.2.

The only solution I found was to re-boot when it started happening, typically every 48 hours of uptime.

(I wish there Nokia would add Re-boot to the power button options ...)

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Haha!

As we said so many times in other threads...
The hildon-home process is the one that runs widgets.

If it consumes more than necessary resources, leaks memory, burns the CPU or simply crashes...
Chances are, you use a widget that is poorly written.

The solution:
  • Get rid of ALL the widgets you have on ALL of your home screens and REBOOT your N900
  • Use it that way for some time, see if the issue disappeared
  • Start adding widgets back one by one
  • After each widget is added, wait for some time for the issue to appear
  • If hildon-home does weird stuff again, you'll know that the last widget you added causes the problem

After you determined which widget is the problem:
  • If it is a third-party widget (from app manager): contact the author (for example, on this forum), he'll be very happy to get feedback
  • If it is an official widget, file a bug report at http://bugs.maemo.org

Originally Posted by Jamil View Post
Hi,

hildon-home and hildon-'somethingelse' were killing my cpu too, especially with pr1.1, but not so mych with pr1.2.

The only solution I found was to re-boot when it started happening, typically every 48 hours of uptime.

(I wish there Nokia would add Re-boot to the power button options ...)
There is a way to add a reboot button - see this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=48843

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
If you manage to read trough this https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8723

You will find out that it looks like widgets are pain in *** and they need great deal of QA.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Michigan, USA
Alright, so it seems I've pinned down the widget culprit.

"Desktop Command Execution Widget" seems to be the one that causes issues. I had 3 instances, one for rootfs, one for uptime, and one for battery mAh, and since I've removed them all and added all my widgets back except for that one, my issue has gone away.

thanks all

it seems that removing some of the widegts have steadied the ship for now, I removed RSS, AP News, OMWeather and so far so good, but to me it seems more of an OS issue rather than apps, I didn't have this problem on PR1.1 and I had much more widegts before than now after installing PR1.2 (and reflashing FIASCO and EMMC)!

Nokia hear us!

Originally Posted by Gizmokid2005 View Post
Alright, so it seems I've pinned down the widget culprit. (...)
"Desktop Command Execution Widget"
I don't have that widget and I get the lock ups every time.

The cause seems to be related to the N900 performing I/O. To me it always happens when I leave the application manager in the background while it updates or install anything.

It also happens when there is a large email coming in, but this can be related to the fact that when I connect to wifi both the email client and app manager try to get updates.

I was thinking about recompiling the kernel to turn on all preempt switches, but then I realized that they seem to be already turned on...

Does anybody know if it is really related to I/O? It could also be that when the N900 tries to use the swap at the same time the app manager is doing heavy I/O to the eMMC things lock up for a while. In that case, would it be effective to place the swap file on the external microSDHC?

Last edited by soeiro; 2010-06-09 at 13:11. Reason: typo fixing