Originally Posted by patlak View Post
I haven't seen any info of the A4 chip in the iphone 4 being clocked at 1ghz. Anything I missed in their presentation?
Fair enough -- I've heard nothing specific about the iPhone's A4; I'm going off info from the iPad. I assume it's clocked the same, but it could be down-clocked to save power.

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
The n900 can only so video calls to users with the latest skype client or other n900s. That's pretty exclusive

#imjussayin
what is worrisome is if the next version of skype breaks compatiility with n900... especially if PR1.2 is the last firmware upgrade

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
More worrisome is if Skype becomes paid! That would suck a LOT...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

It may not look like it because i write in here, but I just wanted to communicate my emotional zero point level towards this and any other device currently available. It's a kind of dull Zen-like nothingness mixed with boredom. Absolute zero, not really the vendor's fault. This post is useless to me, but maybe it is of any help to you.

Get help.

i would definitely get iphone4, and keep the N900 waiting for meego, after experience with meego on N900 then i will sell my Iphone 4G and N900 to get the real meego phone

Isn't it interesting to defend something that has no relation to you. Fanboyizm is this centuries disease. Anyways.

I am glad iPhone raises the bar. It will push other companies to do better products. Competition is good for us custumers. Obviously currently iPhone is leading the technology now hardware+software combined. But...

But Apple has their "iOWNYOU" strategy for marketing and they try to make user as much dependent as they can to their product. With iPhone success they caught a good draft and they keep tighten the freedom. This method is far more unethical then any other method because it is hidden. They sell the device so cheap in USA ($200) but they will get more money at the end

Nokia was worlds leading cell phone company. Until Early 2000's cell phones were basic with simple software. But with smart phones and complicated software, Nokia failed big lately. Nokia strategy is more like selling new different devices. models do not follow a linear path. It is almost impossible the follow. you buy an express than u buy an n95, then n900. They differ so much. And definitely they cannot compete with USA market now. They are dropping in europe as well. Asia market is still good. So they are still alive. Also now Nokia is trying to save his *** by MeeGo which is mostly driven by Intel at this moment.

Right now strongest competitor to the iPhone looks like android based phones, just because of Google's power on software. We will see how that will go.

Last edited by dbl2010; 2010-06-08 at 05:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to dbl2010 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
"iPhone raises the bar"....hmm heard this at least a couple of times already in this thread. Believe Maemo5 was advertised to be the same.

BTW Apple claims the iPhone 4 "this changes everything.Again"

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
"Asia market is still good" ..I have my doubts on this. My thoughts

Nokia used to be the leader at least in India [biggest market in Asia] but with new entrants, they volumes are eroding.

There are close to 5 new entrants in India offering varied choices at half the price compared to Nokia. In addition, Chinese dumping of replicas of popular handsets are a major hit on the average user.

With no provider locking, retention periods of handsets are very less here.Now with all the options, this period is even shrinking.I believe Nokia,[synonymous with mobiles earlier] have successfully been exploiting this all these years and were continuously refreshing with new models for stickiness and loyalty.

BTW, Provider locked handsets were never a sell [volumes] here. This includes the iPhone. Comparison of current CDMA vs GSM [still 2.5G] subscriber base or revenues reported by GSM vs CDMA providers proves that point. Such locked phones are targeted for a limited or niche market only.

Hahaha. Did anybody notice "Connecting people"? x)

The Following User Says Thank You to Tinnet For This Useful Post:
First of all I would like to say there is a lot of BS in this thread; I will not participate in a “phone battle.”

I never liked Apple, but I must say I am VERY impressed by the data that Steve Jobs has given us.

Now here comes a big hairy but; Most of what Mr. Jobs has to say about his products is marketing. Please keep that in mind.

I have been into mobile technology since the mid 1990’s – I remember the VELO 500 running on a 75MHz MIPS processor. I have also been computer programming for well over 10 years. We have come a long way since then.

I am almost never impressed by Apple products, and I have owned every iPhone and have returned every one. However this one is different;

-The display is amazing, really impressive. But still I can’t use it to sign a contract on a PDF.
-The “superman glass” is a marketing gimmick. Anyone who thinks differently is too gullible. Nokia has been pulling that for a while with their 88xx phones.
-I haven’t seen any specs on the processor/frequency so I cannot comment on that.
-The front facing camera is great, how it will be implemented is the deciding factor.
-The rear camera and flash is not impressive to me.
-I think the form factor is excellent for a phone with no physical keyboard.
-Let’s see if the video is truly HD.
-Who cares about a gyroscope? I can think of so many other things I would rather have.

I have some issues with the N900 (lack of portrait mode, small things such as that)

But when it comes down to basics, the iPhone 4 is great, is it better than the N900? No. Steve Jobs addressed this issue at D8 (Which I attended).

Products like the iPhone/iPad are for people who don’t need the full use of a computer just the basics (in so many words). The iPhone 4 blows a lot of things out of the water as a phone. As a mobile internet device – the N900 cannot be beat thus far.

One thing that got me is when the iPhone 4 was lost/stolen – the girlfriend of the man who had it plugged it in to iTunes and that is how Apple recovered it. I am not even going to touch on the irony of big brother and Apple.

The iPhone 4 has its shortcomings, just as the N900 does – but the iPhone 4 shortcomings are much more dramatic. Many of my friends can use my N900 charger to charge their phones; my iPhone friends don’t have that luxury. A fixed battery, dependency on the App Store, dependency on iTunes, etc.

I was at the barber today, I VNCed into my home computer, and started downloading torrents while I was getting my hair cut. I had a client sign a NDCA contract yesterday on a PDF on my N900 (using a SpacePen stylus).

The iPhone 4 does kick major butt – it has better hardware than the N900 (captive touch screen and lack of keyboard debatable), more App’s from the App store. But at the end of the day it is just a smart phone – a great one at that. I am truly impressed, and hopefully the specs that Jobs stated are true. But I am not going to give up my N900 any time soon, the iPhone 4 is great for the masses – but not for me. I don’t have iTunes on my computer and I don’t want it.

There is no comparing the N900 to the iPhone 4. Two different devices for two different purposes. There is no debating that the hardware of the iPhone 4 is superior (and newer). When it comes down to it – it isn’t a question on what phone is better, it is a question what device fits your needs better.

FYI: My provider is AT&T

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:

Tags
can you, canitouchuthere, hear me now, iphone 4, itoilet paper, waste of money, waste of time, whining, worstthreadever