Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by dagee04 View Post
The thumbnails were mismatched and they appear choppy.
Mismatched? Didn't happen to me... Can you discern any pattern? What accounts do you have on your address book (skype, facebook, ...)?

There is a bug with the current implementation of the QtMobility (1) where all the images get reduced to 64x64. I had to enlarge them back to 120x120 (standard size for the address book) in order to see how it would look like with real images.

Numbers that were also saved with a 1 in front of them don't really fit the area code format and move the area code out of the bracket. Having this format with the bracket for the area makes it difficult to save international numbers or numbers that came in with a 1 or +1 in front of them.
Yes, right now is a "dumb" algorithm but I have to say that I already like it better than having all the numbers without any separation (like on the standard application). I have international phone numbers with +, some phone numbers with area code and some without on my cell. Some countries have 3 digit prefix (e.g. US), some have 4 (e.g. Brazil) and the international code is not standard (it can be 1,2,3,4 or even more digits long) so it is a little more complicated to format them that one would hope.

Oh the font for the phone numbers is probably too big especially when compared to everything else on the phone, they seem out of sync and jump at you bc they are really large. But I guess it's all preference.
Yes, again I agree. I did not take much time fine tuning it because it all can be done on the cellphone by change css files. One of the things I tried was using the "Droid" fonts and it looks really good. One should be able to customize all the colors, font, images by just changing css files.

Other than that, good job men. Glad to see people are taking initiative. Thumbs up!
Thank you! That is the kind of feed back I am looking for.

Question, will it be possible to give individual contacts ringtones or make groups?
I do want at least to support grouping. I have just about 300 contacts on my phone and already take me a long time to find some. I don't know if the current implementation of the backend supports creating custom fields - I will have to check, but if does, I don't see why we can't have both.... In order to use the ring tones that is more exploration that needs to be done.

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
yes you are right. So it would be easier to have similar if the Contacts also supports potrait and I would prefer avatar infront of the names and together.
What do you mean if the contacts support portrait? The application should support portrait mode (with or without autorotation). Didn't it work for you? On the portrait mode you even have a virtual keyboard.

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network

Originally Posted by saxen View Post
that's really nice!! dude have you already released the source?! i'm woking with qt mobility contacts and some example would be nice
I did not release the code because it is quite "work in progress" and very "unstable"....

Please feel free to contact me directly if you need anything and I will try to help. I also try to keep up with the maemo-developers list and help when I can... It is a great "place"!

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

The Following User Says Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
I do want at least to support grouping. I have just about 300 contacts on my phone and already take me a long time to find some.
I have not yet tested your program but what do you mean that in official contacts it takes long time find? It has type to search functionality.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
I have not yet tested your program but what do you mean that in official contacts it takes long time find? It has type to search functionality.
When I don't know with what name I filed someone or just don't want to have to use the keyboard.

I call 90% of the time maybe 10 people. Probably will never call some of the contacts and some other just once in a lifetime. I wanted a very simple/quick way to call some few people... on my previous phone I would just hold the 3 on my numeric keyboard and call my wife on her cell. That is what I am aiming for... and not just find the right contact but also use the right (more obvious) way of contacting it. This version does little to address this issues but that is one of my goals.

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

Just an idea.
On my palm centro i have installed a software called Initiate with SmartSearch functionality for all kind of software, contacts, music, notes etc.

From the description:
Yout type "JSM". This will list John Smith, Jason Moore and James Storm.

This is really very handy!

Regards, davall

Isn't there a application to sync with google contacts right now?
SyncEvolution works with Google Contacts. I've been using it for a while now.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
When I don't know with what name I filed someone or just don't want to have to use the keyboard.

I call 90% of the time maybe 10 people. Probably will never call some of the contacts and some other just once in a lifetime. I wanted a very simple/quick way to call some few people... on my previous phone I would just hold the 3 on my numeric keyboard and call my wife on her cell. That is what I am aiming for... and not just find the right contact but also use the right (more obvious) way of contacting it. This version does little to address this issues but that is one of my goals.
I appreciate what you are doing but I still have to ask
You can make contact shortcuts to your desktop.IIRC there is enough room in one desktop for 10 contacts. But I do understand that speed dial from numbers on traditional mobile phone is faster but thatīs bit different device.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
I appreciate what you are doing but I still have to ask
You can make contact shortcuts to your desktop.IIRC there is enough room in one desktop for 10 contacts. But I do understand that speed dial from numbers on traditional mobile phone is faster but thatīs bit different device.
Yes, you can and I do like/use them. My original goal was/is actually to write a home applet to replace the contacts shortcuts. This application is a sub product of the exercise.

I am still working on the home applet but as now it takes one entire desktop and has 15 avatars (and maybe even a "small mode" with smaller icons), allow grouping (more than one page of 15 shortcuts) but most important I want to contact a person, in most of the cases, without actually getting to the "contact page".

The user will be able to select the default method of contact for each shortcut (call home, send sms, ... ) and the application should help deciding if should (can) call using the gsm modem or skype depending on some rules (you are connected to skype or not, you are on 3g mode or not, it is a local or international phone number) ... so with one click (or maybe a double tap) you will be able to call someone.

Also I think the "contact" page on the "standard" contacts application can use some improvement. I don't like the "call" and "call with skype" as separate sections, I think the "detail header" (Phone, e-mail, ...) is not as important as the actual number, I like little larger fonts, I would like to see the phone number better formatted so I can easily identify the number, ...

It is all a matter of personal preferences but I think that is what having options is all about. On the same note I also like the idea that one can change the skin on my application - maybe with some screen shots and instructions it will make more sense... it is quite fun/flexible.

By the way thank you for asking... that is the only way to make sure that one does not reinvent the wheel without any benefit

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

Last edited by fcrochik; 2010-06-08 at 15:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Is there a way to set the default outgoing caller account to something other than Cell? I use Skype for all of my outgoing calls. Calls through my carrier cost $0.30/minute and I have to remember to change the call type to skype every time I make a call.