Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
......Source?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37922

it's been discussed ad-nauseum in this thread, but while there is no official word, there is insider information that there will be no flash 10 for the n900.

1. It has up to flash 9, full web
2. Yes to all
3. 2.1 is released; portrait mode only in some parts, not all.
4. Not sure, but I believe all audio is directed to transmitter
5. Yes to Bluetooth, not sure about usb
6. Default video player has trouble with some codecs even with codec pack. mplayer should take care of the rest
7. I think it's easily adaptable. Tricky doing shortcuts though.
8. Google Maps thru web. Ovi Maps on n900 is a shittier version of the Symbian one. But there are several other navigation apps available too.
9. Battery can last up to 2 days depending on usage and configuration. Phone functions pretty good though it might be some what laggy switching to phone mode.

Originally Posted by hackm0d View Post
I don't understand. Does that mean there's just no hardware acceleration or does that mean it's just Flash Lite?
Full flash just not the recently released flash 10.1

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Karachi, Pakistan
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Yes.
What application specifically? Does it implement this functionality into the file manager or do I have to use a CLI?

It has, and it "includes" it as a silly gimmick. Not really usable.
What does that mean? We can't use portrait mode effectively? I mean I want to use this as an everyday phone as well as something I can tweak and toy around with.

The built in media player is extremely picky. I haven't been able to get it to play any mp4 files I've thrown at it, even after recompressing them with handbrake. Mplayer is available, though you don't get hardware acceleration.
Mplayer has a GUI interface? Or does it work through command line?

What application specifically? Does it implement this functionality into the file manager or do I have to use a CLI?

What does that mean? We can't use portrait mode effectively? I mean I want to use this as an everyday phone as well as something I can tweak and toy around with.

phone app is good in portait mode, other apps, not so much

mplayer gui is called sib, works quite well for most any file I have thrown at it

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
2. An office suite?
There's Docs To Go Trial (read-only) on the phone. Buy it for $5-6. The Premium version (with editing) has been announced and should be out just about any time for $25-30. Works very well. Also can install Abiword. Open Office is available with Easy Debian, but of course it has limited usability on a 3.5" screen.

8. Does it have Google Maps? Or will I have to stick with Ovi Maps?
Ovi Maps on the phone. Has navigation, but not turn-by-turn or voice-guided. Google maps via browser or I think there an app in the App Manager that gives some integration, not sure just what. I use Ovi Maps a lot, no problem.

9. How is daily usage? Can it actually function as a reliable phone?
I use mine heavily as a phone, 10-20 calls a day, no problem. Google Voice integration is available via Dial Central or The One Ring.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2010-06-09 at 21:25. Reason: Can't type for squat

1. Does the internet browser have Flash? Is it the full web or just a hindered, crippled mobile one?

It has full-web flash support, but currently lacks flash 10.1 support. Most sites don't require this, but some already require this version, and others will follow.

2. About apps, is there a ZIP/RAR unpacker? An RSS reader I can keep on the homescreen? A BitTorrent client (i.e. not a remote control software, an actual client)? An office suite?

Yes, there is a zip and rar unpacker that simply integrates in the file-manager. There is a fully functional BitTorrent client in the form of QTrapids. An RSS-widget is available. I'm not sure if there is an office suite right now.

3. Has the famed PR1.2 firmware been released yet? Does it have portrait mode functionality? I'd really like that.

It has been released, and doesn't have system wide portrait support. Key apps like the phone-app and the browser support this.

4. Does the FM transmitter function as an audio device? Can I, for instance, use the FM transmitter with audio in the web browser (YouTube, for instance) or with a video player?

Yes, every sound that can be outputted through the speakers or headset can also be outputted through the FM-Transmitter. Great to show people some clips in their car.

5. Can I use a Bluetooth keyboard (it should have the HID profile)? Or is it possible to hook a keyboard up via USB host?

Some bluetooth keyboards can be connected. I don't know the status of the USB-Host project.

6. How's the codec support for the video player? Can it play MKVs? XviD? DivX? Is it possible to install additional codecs?

Divx, Mp4,... are perfectly supported by default. There is an extra codec pack that supports even more. Mplayer is available with different front-ends. MKV can be supported through a plugin, but only with certain codecs. I've thrown a lot of formats on it, and haven't had many files that don't play.There is however a resolution limit. 720p files simply won't open.

7. I'm migrating from a Nokia E90. Is the hardware keyboard easy to adjust to?

No experience. I migrated From a SE Xperia X1, and find this keyboard to be better actually, even while the xperia had space between the keys. Since PR1.2 it has become even better because a long press now gives you the blue value on the key (Numbers, symbols,...)

8. Does it have Google Maps? Or will I have to stick with Ovi Maps?

No google maps available (Browser only)

9. How is daily usage? Can it actually function as a reliable phone?

Yes, this is what amazes me the most! With my Xperia and P1i I had constant problem making and receiving calls, sending text messages,... they would crash or shut down unexpectedly, leaving you unreacheable for some time. Sending an sms would sometimes take me 2 minutes,...
None of this with the n900, I haven't experienced crashes, slowdowns, problems with the standard-phone stuff,... sending an sms or making a call takes just as long as it would have done on my old Nokia 3310. All this is while i'm quite a heavy user, installing non-safe apps, leaving the phone online constantly, having torrent downloads in the background, and playing an mp3 through all that. You're always reacheable.

Your only problem miight be the battery life. If you use your phone to it's full extent, it will only last 10-15h. This phone must be recharged at least every night. Be prpeared to carry some backup power if this isn't possible.

I also had the Nokia E90 before... and believe me ... the N900 is a great upgrade.

What I miss about my old E90..
- Better querty keyboard on the E90 and I still miss the numeric one.
- Quick shortcuts were very usefull
- The E90 has a better Battery Life
- Nothing else...

I gave it to my girlfriend and she loves it.

Main things you probably will love on the N900

- UI Speed
- The browser is a HUGE improvement, best in class.
- Customization
- Integrated messenger
- Divx with subtitles support (multiple codecs)
- Video and photos with great quality
- And much more....

CLI mostly. The unrar utility isn't listed in the application manager.

Maemo was designed from the ground up to operate in landscape view.

Portrait mode for the phone works quite well, along with the contacts UI, though for anything but the phone app you have to activate it by hitting Ctrl+Shift+R.

The portrait mode stuff like the media player is just broken.

KMplayer and SiB both provide GUIs for Mplayer on the N900.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Karachi, Pakistan
Thanks guys for the replies, when I buy the phone I'll come here to get started again.
Oh just a few more things, how's the A/V out (I presume the cable comes with the phone)? Can I output to a TV with no issues at all? Video playback is fine?