Active Topics

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by hackm0d View Post
Hey everyone,
2. About apps, is there a ZIP/RAR unpacker? An RSS reader I can keep on the homescreen? A BitTorrent client (i.e. not a remote

7. I'm migrating from a Nokia E90. Is the hardware keyboard easy to adjust to?
Office Suite: There is "Docs on the go" which is very good and fast but it is commercial (cheap) and only supports reading

HW Keyboard: You'll not be able to use a phone without a keyboard after that Yeah, it is easy.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Unless you use Androidzoom (http://www.androidzoom.com/) or simply read an article about Android apps. They usually have a scannable QR code. You just browse on your PC, pick up your phone and run a barcode scanner on the screen and BEEP--it brings up the Android Market app with the application. Makes looking for apps and installing them instantly MUCH easier than purely browsing on the phone itself.

Just saying, it doesn't necessarily have to be tedious on the Android. Don't know if the N900 has any similar mechanisms in place.
I often would browse for programs on my work break and then have to wait until I got home to install them, so the QR codes weren't that useful for me. I would use Cyrket a lot but should have taken pics of the codes or something... Anyway, I mainly installed new programs when I had updates to existing programs, because I browsed the market at the same time. It was just my personal circumstances.

I don't think anyone needs to be a coder to use the N900 but if you are, you'll probably be happier than with some other phones who try to hide the inner workings from the user.

Terry

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Karachi, Pakistan
Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
I'm gonna give it to you straight mate. No sugar coating.

If you are not a coder, do not have time to actually learn a great deal or do not have the patience of a camel. Don't get the n900.
Why is that?

HTC HD2 is not bad, windows is legacy. but it runs.
It's not the OS, it's the implementation of it into the hardware. Most importantly, you need to install a dozen fixes just for it to be stable. There's also (as far as I'm aware) no Flash in the browsers. The most important dealbreaker for me, however, is the audio/video sync issue. I definitely can not get over that one. HTC nor XDA-dev have found a fix for it.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by terryowen View Post
I often would browse for programs on my work break and then have to wait until I got home to install them, so the QR codes weren't that useful for me. I would use Cyrket a lot but should have taken pics of the codes or something... Anyway, I mainly installed new programs when I had updates to existing programs, because I browsed the market at the same time. It was just my personal circumstances.

I don't think anyone needs to be a coder to use the N900 but if you are, you'll probably be happier than with some other phones who try to hide the inner workings from the user.

Terry
I'm boggled. Why couldn't you install apps immediately? I browse at work or out and about sometimes too and zap the QR codes and install from the Android app store immediately over the air. Doesn't sound like a problem of how easy it is with Android's app store or browsing apps.. maybe you have no data plan or something, but you'd run into the same problem with the N900 if that's the case.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA

If you are not a coder, do not have time to actually learn a great deal or do not have the patience of a camel. Don't get the n900.

If you just want a Nokia. Wait for the N8 or something more polished.

If a jailbreak is released quickly, then get an iPhone 4G hands down.

Otherwise, get an HTC Legend or Desire or Milestone if you want a keyboard.

HTC HD2 is not bad, windows is legacy. but it runs.
Again, these sort of comments without specific examples are not helpful. I find the n900 to be great for me personally and I am not a coder and knew absolutely nothing about Linux prior to owning it. As long as you like messing around with computers and are not scared to learn a new thing or two (and get your hands dirty on occasion ) then owning an n900 can be a great experience.

This community can be very helpful, but beware of the trolls!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK

Well, I'm not a 'coder' I'm in business and chose N900 over N72 - and that's a big ask...

Once you've set the N900 up to your liking it works very well. I have dabbled with software from 'the top shelf' repositories and bricked mine a couple of times, but otherwise it's perfectly stable and reliable..

N900 is not for everyone, but for those who like to get involved with their devices it is very rewarding.

I think this post has answered most of the OP's questions and will now become Troll Fodder, so I'm outa here...

Why is that?
This one is tough to put in words. That's why i simply stated the conditions so that you can tell if they apply to you. You'll have to start using it in your hands to understand what I mean. It's those little day to day things that'll tick you off. Reviews, Videos, comments won't help. For an average user, the n900 is not worth it. To feel its "differentiating" "potential", you really have to work at it. The question is, are you buying to work? or to enjoy?

It's not the OS, it's the implementation of it into the hardware. Most importantly, you need to install a dozen fixes just for it to be stable. There's also (as far as I'm aware) no Flash in the browsers. The most important deal breaker for me, however, is the audio/video sync issue. I definitely can not get over that one. HTC nor XDA-dev have found a fix for it.
That's in the old days mate. HTC did a great job with the HD2. But then again. I did put that as the LAST option.

I'll give you Flash. Sure it might be missed. But it shouldn't be a deal breaker. I so hate myself for agreeing with Hitler Steve Jobs on this.

Flash is 3 folds. Games, Videos and Pure Flash websites (I don't think you care about banner ads?).

Games will just eat battery. And if games are what you're looking for. Jailbroken iPhone is the gold mine. Video? there will always be a youtube app for whatever mobile you get. The one video you want from an obscure website can wait till you get to a computer.

As for pure flash websites, if they're so important that you need them on the go. Then sure, consider the n900, but note that Flash on n900 is not perfect either. There are websites that still don't work.

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Again, these sort of comments without specific examples are not helpful. I find the n900 to be great for me personally and I am not a coder and knew absolutely nothing about Linux prior to owning it. As long as you like messing around with computers and are not scared to learn a new thing or two (and get your hands dirty on occasion ) then owning an n900 can be a great experience.

This community can be very helpful, but beware of the trolls!
Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
Well, I'm not a 'coder' I'm in business and chose N900 over N72 - and that's a big ask...

Once you've set the N900 up to your liking it works very well. I have dabbled with software from 'the top shelf' repositories and bricked mine a couple of times, but otherwise it's perfectly stable and reliable..

N900 is not for everyone, but for those who like to get involved with their devices it is very rewarding.

I think this post has answered most of the OP's questions and will now become Troll Fodder, so I'm outa here...
Yo mates. Don't dismiss so quickly. I put 3 conditions here. not just being a coder. There are 2 more. time and patience. Which is what you mentioned in your posts

The Following User Says Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by terryowen View Post
The USB cable isn't standard micro but it's the same as other Nokias if that matters to you.
Uh? I use standard Micro USB cables with it all the time, and it works fine. What are you talking about?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm boggled. Why couldn't you install apps immediately? I browse at work or out and about sometimes too and zap the QR codes and install from the Android app store immediately over the air. Doesn't sound like a problem of how easy it is with Android's app store or browsing apps.. maybe you have no data plan or something, but you'd run into the same problem with the N900 if that's the case.
I have a local wireless carrier with 2G service and little or no coverage inside the building where I work. Data access really drains my battery so I usually reserve it for wifi or something text based like rss feeds update. AT&T is eliminating their unlimited data plans, I'm sure that more people will need to plan their data use around wifi.

With the G1, I could use ADB to install programs if they were downloadable with an .apk file but it wasn't something I did a lot. I have downloaded .deb files for my N900 and done OTA program installs with the N900 but you're right, with my local carrier, it's the same for either system.

If there is a perfect phone apps market system, I haven't experienced it. But I can still wish there was a more central system for Maemo.org than having to add 3 or more repositories. :-)

Terry

The Following User Says Thank You to terryowen For This Useful Post: