Active Topics

Is there anything wrong with running in red pill mode 24/7?

Not an answer, but a related question for whoever knows the answer to your question: I noticed that (at least using the latest 2006 release on a 770) I get lots and lots of packages to be updated when I turn on red pill mode (I suppose this depends on my repos). Should all of these things be updated?

Cwluc: no
bokubob: I would

Under OS2006, when in red pill mode, (at least with the repositories i have configured) I see lots of lib* and osso* packages that can be updated in the application manager. For kicks I tried installing a bunch of them. I don't know which one it was, but eventually my OS became unusable, and I wasn't able to start application manager to run anything to undo my damage. Anyway, I ended up reflashing. So, I would recommend against indiscriminate updating of OS components in red-pill mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to bokubob For This Useful Post:
Boku, ME TOO! I thought I was going crazy... so I just ordered another n800 while preparing to send the original back to the shop just so I could have one in its place.

Anyway, the thing wouldnt charge properly, the screen would do this weird fade from left to right, but still sorta be on... I would have to yank the battery and the memory out, place them back in, and wait a minute or so, and power on.
It would stay on for a few minutes, but under some load, it would LOCK UP HARD, forcing me to reboot it, or it would reboot itself.

Even though I reflashed last night, its too soon to say that its one thing or the other.

The first time I experienced this weird screen wipe, I initially thought it was the weird browser library I may have installed. Then my 10 month old dropped it from about 3 feet -- *BONK* "oh no, dont do that! yikes, kid!" (my wife absentmindedly calls him 'Our Little CarpetMuncher' not knowing the implications of the phrase) so the second time it happened I thought it may have been The Baby Factor.

Then it happened again and again and again, and it took me a few days of getting a routine down on how to actually make it stable enough to charge for a bit just to be able to backup my data, and then finally reflash it.

Like I said, the reflash is less than 12 hours old and its too early to make a judgement properly on whether or not its the battery, the drop test, or the goofy browser library install.

So yea, I reflashed it, installed my favorite apps again, and it runs tighter than before, especially now that I know how to navigate the apps, and dont have a bunch of extra unnecessary stuff cluttering my menus.

And Kagu is pretty spiffy, I must say.

Looks like I have a unit to give to the Old Ball And Chain and she can stop using her PSP to surf the net while watching after the kid, errm, I mean Our Little CarpetMuncher

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I suddenly have the notion that Red Pill Mode should be renamed "You really, REALLY shouldn't" mode.

There are things under red pill mode that shouldn't be upgraded. Magic:sys comes to mind, for starters. The real danger in red pill mode is that some of the Maemo-developer packages are meant for the SDK, not for the device.