I would like to see an option to recast user designated text to fit the window so it would not be necessary to do horizontal scrolling when reading an article.
This could be done a number of ways. A user could point to a text area of a web page and get an option to recast. The software could then pop a new temporary window and grab and recast the designated text area to fit the window. That would be all that is required. It would be the responsibility of the user to close the window when done reading.
Alternately, the text could popped into the news reader.

I just got my device, so I apoligize if such a capability already exists and I am unaware of it.
I would really appreciate any comments and would like to know if there is a better way to get this suggestion to the Nokia team.
Thanks.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Click on 'View', 'Optimized View'. Is that what you were talking about?
It doesn't work the best on all web pages, some with borders that are stuffed with ads and text and crap tend to take up 50% of the screen (try Slashdot.org optimized - - yech!). Hope that helps.

Fortunately Slashdot has the "Palm" mode :-)

@ desktop:

3-column sites are sometimes hilarious: the text you've gone to the site to read is a single-character column in the center (when magnified, of course!).

Speaking of mag, you can also zoom out. Don't know if that will make the text too small for you, though.

Last edited by Mike Cane; 2006-01-13 at 17:05. Reason: typo

Thanks, Mike. The optimized view helps a lot.

Go into the browser 'view' options and choose "optimized'. Works pretty well.\

Edit: Guess I was a little late on this response.

Live via 770:

It was Hedgecore with the fastest gun, not me! Thanks, Hedgecore!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Cane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
Speaking of this issue, I dislike jumping back and forth to this mode. Some sites it works fine with, others the text is smashed to the far right side allowing only 10-20 characters of text per line.

Does anyone know if the opera browser will utilize a user.css file? I don't know if this can be done, but I would like to see a mode for the browser where the maximum size of a column (div/td/whatever) is 800 pixels. That way the only real horizontal scrolling you would have to do is to get the text column into view, then it's just normal vertical scrolling from there. (And hopefully the formatting of a page is close to how the web designer intended)

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Los Angeles
Where is that url? I looked all over the site and can't find it.

Originally Posted by fpp
Fortunately Slashdot has the "Palm" mode :-)