Active Topics

Hi I have an annoying problem, my phone displays the 3G icon whilst in my work place, but when I try to connect to the internet, it doesn't work. The GSM didn't work until i put my orange sim card in the phone I've tried putting the sim card in another phone and it picks up the 3G network. Im using 02 by the way. Can I just say that it did work at some point and I have reflashed the firmware (twice) any assistance would be great.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Running PR 1.2?
Tried rebooting?
Tried putting the sim out and in again when off?
Possible that you might have over-used your dataplan? (Although most services only decrease speed after too much of use)
Installed many extras-testing or extras-devel packages?
Is the signal strength rich? (over 1 or 2 bars)
When you press 'control panel' > 'internet connection' do you see the service available? If not, look at your provider's site for phone settings. (Often are send to you for free via SMS)

Hope this helps

Hi, I'm not that much of a noob, but thanks. I've tried all of that. I must mention that the 3G still does work but in my work place it doesn't. it's the strangest problem. Other people have 3G coverage on their phones.

As soon as I get out of the grounds of my workplace the 3G works fine.

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
The 3G icon isn't an indication that the network is connected. You need to establish the network connection. If the network is connected, you should see another icon, with two horizontal arrows.

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I have the same problem. I always had it (from PR1.0 already) I MUST have 3,5G to get a connection, otherwise it won't connect to the internet :/

(I use T-Mobile in the Netherlands)

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton
me too, same problem, have to have 3.5 g mobile browsing on the move or its rubbish and takes forever for each page to load.
Makes the whole maps palaver a bit insignificant....

Vodafone UK

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Norfolk, UK
Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
The 3G icon isn't an indication that the network is connected. You need to establish the network connection. If the network is connected, you should see another icon, with two horizontal arrows.
This is correct, but may I also suggest that when you are on the move, you turn off auto connection to WiFi as if you detect one of the many "free" WiFi hotspots it will throw you off your networks mobile internet and slow you down.

I put the word free in inverted commas as they generally are not free and expect you to pay a fee to connect to the internet. This can be very annoying as it could take a few minutes to disconnect from the WiFi and reconnect to your providers mobile service.

i also have this problem, i live in australia and have optus as a carrier... when i am on 3g pages dont load, even with 5 bars of reception... its not until it changes to 3.5g that it starts to load... is their a way to stick to the 3.5g signal instead of 3g, the same way we can for 2g and 3g?

Originally Posted by s15mos View Post
i also have this problem, i live in australia and have optus as a carrier... when i am on 3g pages dont load, even with 5 bars of reception... its not until it changes to 3.5g that it starts to load... is their a way to stick to the 3.5g signal instead of 3g, the same way we can for 2g and 3g?
This something I have noticed about the N900, it doesn't stick to a 3.5 signal if its there, whereas my brothers 5800 will even if he isn't connected to the internet

We are both on O2 UK

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
So... I think this is a bug?

Is it already reported?