Notices

Closed Thread
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Patola View Post
abill_uk, I have been following your comments for some time and I quite liked your insidious comments against Nokia, but... Sorry, this has to be the stupidest suggestion I ever saw on this forum.

What makes N900 shine is being a full-fledged GNU/Linux system, either with Maemo or Meego. Even Android, being ported to the N900, while not a full GNU/Linux, uses the Linux kernel. Wasting efforts with Windows Mobile on the N900 would be not only counterproductive, it would probably create unprecedent rejection for this device.
The problem here is failed support from Nokia that is the very reason this dilemma is with us now.
The N900 we have had the best part of 8 month now and when you look at the game situation alone it is abismal in comparison to android for example so the programming efforts on this community is mostly single handed from members contributing apps and games that obviously are not upto the standard of commercial entities.
Team work is needed to establish commrecial app porting to the N900 and then you have the legal side to worry about and to be honest it is just not happening up to now is it.

As for the OS omg what a disaster it is with apps and and installs from this community screwing up the basic os to the point of rebooting and failure to start up.
Progress is slow simply due to the fact of there being no real team effort to establish apps and games for the Linux based os we have as it is all down to individual effort it seems.
What is shining here huh? nothing works or excells that matches commercial software available for windows for instance, so as the apps etc are available for windows then while we wait for N900 progression which is slow stop go backwards sometimes, might as well think differently and get away from linux alltogether.
Lets face it Meamo is dead Meego is uncertain so what do we have left?.

I own my N900 same as everyone else so i am not prepared to wait wait for something to eventually happen when their is another route i can take, crazy ? ha it is great playing and modding and i enjoy this a lot.

You think my suggestions are crazy yet i alone have got usb otg working with 2 usb ports and a seperate charge port leaving the usb ports free for other uses, so if you think that is crazy then so be it but the attitude on here means no way right now i will share anything.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Yeah! I too ported Gran Turismo 5 to Maemo, but I won't show you, because you guys are so mean.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
The problem here is failed support from Nokia...
Yes. The problem is failed support from Nokia, not GNU/Linux shortcomings. So, why pick on the OS?

As for the OS omg what a disaster it is with apps and and installs from this community screwing up the basic os to the point of rebooting and failure to start up.
Can't disagree more. Community support is nothing short of wonderful. We've got a vibrant, active community around Maemo and you only get rebooting and failure to start up with experimental versions and recipes - which happens with every OS out there, not only with Maemo.

What is shining here huh? nothing works or excells that matches commercial software available for windows for instance
Are you serious? We even got software solutions to overcome what looked like hardware limitations (FM Transmitter Boost, Overlocking, HD photographs (BlessN900), USB OTG, pressure based sensitivity (MyPaint)). We've got some very nice open source applications like Ansel-A, ecoach, mBarcode, Mappero, Mussorgsky, Desktop Command Execution, Queen Beacon Widget. We've got many adapted applications from GNU/Linux that are very useful, like abiword, gnumeric, Numpty Physics, KeepassX, XChat, DOSBox... Even a whole distro, easy debian, with openoffice.org, GIMP, inkscape et al. Heck, I even got many old school games from the desktop I was addicted to, like Duke Nukem 3D, Quake III, Dune, Descent, Hexxen and Jagged Alliance.

I won't say that lack of commercial application is not a downside, but for the purposes of the device, which is not a mass market device, we have a great many things. I for myself am very satisfied with my daily usage of the N900 and I can't even compare it to my old windows mobile device - full of applications, empty with flexibility and openness.

so as the apps etc are available for windows then while we wait for N900 progression which is slow stop go backwards sometimes, might as well think differently and get away from linux alltogether.
Nope. Won't follow you. In fact, to say that, I think you really should buy another device. By the way, could you give an example of this 'backwards progression'? I can't imagine how it can be.

Lets face it Meamo is dead Meego is uncertain so what do we have left?.
Meego is certain to continue and besides both (Maemo and Meego) are GNU/Linux. It's only a matter of how different they are, probably not very much.

You think my suggestions are crazy yet i alone have got usb otg working with 2 usb ports and a seperate charge port leaving the usb ports free for other uses, so if you think that is crazy then so be it but the attitude on here means no way right now i will share anything.
Sorry, but that's childish if I interpreted you correctly. That means that you won't share what you accomplish unless people agree with you? A stupid opinion will remain stupid even if someone "agrees" with it just to have access to some goods.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patola For This Useful Post:
Patola i agree with a lot your saying as your entitled to your opinions and yers i can be a bit rough on my talk but that comes from certain people on here that have and still go at me for what? i am not be-holden to nobody in this world, i am a free agent and can do as i please but you have some people who just want to cause mayhem so let them get on with it now as i am from now doing my own thing and sorry if that sounds bad but it is what i have decided.

One point i want to clarify and that's about this community... i have nothing but praise for this place on the www as it is full of some brilliant people who work endlessly to achieve and give to everyone, my thoughts are with them for sure 100%.
The problem is it is not a together team and progress is slow, far too slow for many as the whining on here shows so i have chose to go my own route me myself and i have had enough of critisism from a general few that exsist on here.

The reason i will not share is because you got some on here that even question legal sides and will pull you down the second they get the chance so for me they wont get the chance because i am doing my own thing and as a hacker i have years of experiance so dont need to prove anything to anyone, best kept quiet so hope you understand that.

I respect your opinion and everyone else's as long as they leave ME alone, that is the top and bottom of it so untill the snidy comments stop indef then i stay the way i am now.

PS i even thanked you for your opinions.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2010-06-20 at 08:01.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
You, sir/madam, are not helping. At all. Which is sad if you actually know as much as you try to make us believe.

I need to put a stop to your badgering once and for all ok because i have had enough of it on this forum.....
As soon as you stop telling us about these magical and easy ways to perform miracles without explaining how it would be done, I'm sure ysss and others will respond in better ways.

DRIVER means DRIVERS for a start so if you were to install for instance windows mobile os into the N900 you will need to make sure it can adress all the hardware components as windows or dos does on a pc.
This is not in any way explaining anything. Sorry.

Reverse engineering is expensive because it is time consuming so that would be the last resort and as we actually own the device it is fair to say we can purchase another os and programme the device with it so if we say windows mobile os and are able to make it configure every component driver wise then we would have a windows mobile which will in itself open the N900 up to a complete new world of availablility apps and games wise.
And now you enter that magical kingdom again. Anyone can buy media with WindowsCE on it but who will do what I marked with bold? You? Me? Microsoft?

As have been mentioned later on in the thread, it makes no sense for Microsoft to do a port for a device that sells less than electrical nose hair trimmers. And without the help from Microsoft, no port will be done. Simple as that.

Now if you know anything about programming and for instance windows you would not have the need to ask me questions that any programmer will know so as i am not your teacher and you do not seem to understand may i suggest you try to research what i am saying so that you fully understand.
I am a programmer. I know a fair bit about programming. And I still think you're talking in riddles with magic as the main component when it comes to actual solutions.

If things are as easy as you claim, just tell us how and make us look like silly fools. I for one would love to learn something as awesome as this, especially if it's easy!

I not only have the time nor will i explain in full anything else because there is indeed earning potential for me in this so am not going to elaborate freely on this forum about it.

Now this is the last responce your getting from me ok.
All I can hear now is "Me, me, me, me, me and ME!". Please, stop this pathetic display of unwarranted self-importance. Telling us that you'll be quiet (only to write another comment a few minutes later) is just ... pathetic.

If you know things, please tell us. Help the community to get better.

Again, you're not helping. At all.

The problem here is failed support from Nokia that is the very reason this dilemma is with us now.
Does "support from Nokia" include developing racing games for the N900? If not, how is the above statement relevant?

The N900 we have had the best part of 8 month now and when you look at the game situation alone it is abismal in comparison to android for example so the programming efforts on this community is mostly single handed from members contributing apps and games that obviously are not upto the standard of commercial entities.
Who writes all these Android applications? As far as I know, most of them are done by ... the Android community. Oh my. That sounds very much like with the N900 but with a much smaller community. A smaller community gives fewer applications that are tested by fewer users. So, I'd say it's pretty obvious why there is a lack of polished and well tested applications for the N900.

And, please, keep the apples away from the pears. To first state that the Android is splendid and then demanding that applications should be as good as commercial ones, that's just trying to sneak something past us. The applications that are available for the Android are just as error prone as the ones for the N900.

Team work is needed to establish commrecial app porting to the N900 and then you have the legal side to worry about and to be honest it is just not happening up to now is it.
Commercial development of applications requires commercial resources. This is not something that you pull together by creating a team.

As always, stay away from Extras-devel and Extras-testing. I've developed two applications for the N900 (with one of them in Extras-devel) and I've never managed to "screw up the basic os" even though I install from home made packages.

Progress is slow simply due to the fact of there being no real team effort to establish apps and games for the Linux based os we have as it is all down to individual effort it seems.
Are there new applications showing up every week or not? I have trouble imagining any company out there that releases a new application as often as the phone/internet tablet communities do.

If you want to make a point, please tell us how often there needs to be new applications available to satisfy your demands.

What is shining here huh? nothing works or excells that matches commercial software available for windows for instance, so as the apps etc are available for windows then while we wait for N900 progression which is slow stop go backwards
This is called "Moving the goal posts" if you look at a list of logical fallacies. First there aren't enough new applications released and now they'd have to compete with what a multi-billion company like Microsoft can produce.

I own my N900 same as everyone else so i am not prepared to wait wait for something to eventually happen when their is another route i can take, crazy ? ha it is great playing and modding and i enjoy this a lot.

I have trouble visualizing that. Could you please supply a photo? No need to show how you connected everything, just something to help me understand what you've accomplished since it sounds awesome.

Joorin i need time and when i am ready i will help ok.
Sorry to be evasive but i have my reasons so please respect that.
Ysss on the other hand is a def no go for me he has proved this time again so i am closing shop on him and the likes of him.
I will in due course when i am complete share my work WITHOUT interference from the few i dislike on here.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Abill, I will make an earnest public apology and I'll do whatever you say if you make good of that claim.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Joorin i need time and when i am ready i will help ok.
Fair enough. I have no intention to try to make you do anything at any specific time.

Sorry to be evasive but i have my reasons so please respect that.
Be as evasive as you want, but, please, stop with the fairy tales. If you make outlandish claims, people will question the validity of them and it's very bad form to get all defensive and (passive) aggressive when that happens.

Great claims require extraordinary support to be accepted.

Ysss on the other hand is a def no go for me he has proved this time again so i am closing shop on him and the likes of him.
I will in due course when i am complete share my work WITHOUT interference from the few i dislike on here.
Again, all I hear is "Me, me, me, me and ME!". It's not interesting for anyone who you dislike or under what circumstances you're going to unveil your work. Surprise us all by actually blowing us away with the quality of your work and stop this "Play by my rules or I'm not gonna show you. Neener-neener!".

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Why would you want Win Mo on the N900? There's way better Win Mo phones out there. The only attraction for the N900 is Maemo itself.

btw abill you don't know what you're talking about. I'll leave it at that.

Closed Thread

Tags
go greece