You have got to be kidding me.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Also because developers will move to MeeGo at some point, but there are good chances that their MeeGo apps can be compiled and packaged easily for Maemo 5.
About MeeGo-Harmattan apps being compiled for Maemo 5: you say it's easy but based on which facts?

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
I know this MeeGo team is working on something for N900 users. Wait for the MeeGo Handset UX to be published and you will see - and try if you wish.
I've been trying to build MeeGo image for N900 the whole day, with continuos help form Stskeeps on #meego-arm@freenode, with no luck so far.
- MIC is heavily borked
- packages of the codedrop were moved away and are not available anymore
- there exists open and closed image, and closed image essential packeges are missing
- packages for the open image are there, but MIC fails to build the image (glibc detects a programming error and crashes)

I have TONS of patience and good will. Someone else would give up several hours ago.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
You have got to be kidding me.
Fair enough. You were mentioning the case of Ovi Maps, which is a lot more complex app than the average and is somehow a case on its own.

Let's go into details if you wish once Ovi Maps for MeeGo-Harmattan has been released. Same for the rest of MeeGo-Harmattan apps shipped by Nokia (like the Phone app you mentioned).

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
It's a land rush - suggest ways to include ordinary users that takes into account they might come from MeeGo-deriatives like Nokia MeeGo.
Hey hey hey. How did we get from the organic community at maemo.org to a place where the suggestions (by none less than a community manager) are to exclude 'plain' users offering them only scraps in the form of "if you do boring work like wiki edits and bug reports, you will have merit and then we'll consider you as a community member". What bug reports, what wiki ? You just sent those people off to a vendor forum ghetto, why would they come back ? How would a non-tech person know whether it's dealing with a vendor bug or a MeeGo bug anyway ? But I'm putting words in other people's mouth by now, so I'll stop my ranting Anyhow, that thread on meego.com sounded an awful lot like elitism to me, and having to move head-on to community managers to make this point is discouraging.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
So for the last half a year, including in this thread, you give us over and over again this marketing speech about MeeGO and QT being good for N900 users, since MeeGo applications will be available for N900. But every application that you actually have any knowledge or control about is not really going to run on N900? Why should we expect that other developer's will not follow Nokia's example in ignoring N900 for their MeeGo applications?

Maybe tone down the marketing a bit?

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
All the complaints, as justified they might be, are in vain unless there is action on part of Nokia to adress them.

I don't think that action will happen. I don't see them acting on our feedback.

I have gotten used to that idea, and consider Nokia for what they do: provide devices more open than their competitors and that's it.

It's kinda sad, to be honest.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
All the complaints, as justified they might be, are in vain...

...I have gotten used to that idea, and consider Nokia for what they do: provide devices more open than their competitors and that's it.

It's kinda sad, to be honest.
That's what I'm sayin' or to paraphrase the great American orator, Popeye:

"They is what they is and that's all that they is."

So energy spent ruminating over the "Hows, Whys, and Wherefores" of past (perceived or real) behavior may not be well spent.

In the end, maintaining "foundations" and "cores" may not be relevant to a developer of community apps who I assume, would be more motivated by how many in the community use his/her app. Therefore they will always adapt their methods in order to maximize that reach.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
So energy spent ruminating over the "Hows, Whys, and Wherefores" of past (perceived or real) behavior may not be well spent.
As long as someone like Quim takes the time to engage on this, and some forward (if slow) progress is made on any issue(s), the time is certainly well-spent.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
and some forward (if slow) progress
We will see if this long suffering and faithful community counts for something to them.

If not, I hope Apple (who are very user feedback and experience focussed) pi55es's all over them.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-06-20 at 19:35.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
In maemo.org the community consisted of both Nokia employees/subcontractors and everyone else (while the control of the 'product' was in the hands of Nokia, causing a vendor-user relationship).

In MeeGo, community is everyone with a 'commit bit' or role for the 'product' + everybody else who is contributing to the product + the users of the product. Even opinion and discussion is contribution to the project.

'Everybody else' can turn into having a commit bit or role if their merit warrants it.

Hence, MeeGo is more of a committer-contributor-user community.

EDIT: Important note though: It isn't all about code. Even helping the ecosystem around committers/contributors and managing this would be contribution. Kind of like HR or personell organisations. There is a fair more organisation in the 'MeeGo' community, including managers etc - see it as a virtual company where you're part of the work to bring out the product.
This differences between the two is just hitting me. MeeGo lowers average users by one rung. Many may start to feel like they lost the direct connection back to the vendor. User experience must then be so high to offset this loss. Can MeeGo deliver? If not, other options may start to appeal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:

Tags
misstep, nokia