Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by wcborstel View Post
Just one more thing while I'n at it (may as well tell you everything eh?), when I have selected a playlist there is no (obvious) way to go back and select another playlist. maybe I have missed that button somewhere but I can't find any way to do that.
Swipe across the screen from right to left (or left to right). Not obvious but it saves space on the screen to not have a button for it.

And it looks cool.

All in all I am really pleased with it so far, thanks very much for your hard work on it!
I'm glad you like it. I'm having fun too so it's a win-win situation.

You seem to have really got something here, Joorin, and it's come on really quickly too.

Seeing your comments on 'screen estate' I had an idea for representing 'popularity' without using space: could you signify 'popularity' by the colour of the text (perhaps from a 'hot' red tone to a 'cold' blue)?

Having said that, the ability to sort by column makes spotify work so well - including sorting by popularity, (handy when you're checking out hitherto unknown artists) - so assuming you plan to add the column-sort functionality at some point, maybe my idea wouldn't work - but hey just thinking aloud.

Thanks again for a great piece of work

Originally Posted by nastro View Post
You seem to have really got something here, Joorin, and it's come on really quickly too.

Seeing your comments on 'screen estate' I had an idea for representing 'popularity' without using space: could you signify 'popularity' by the colour of the text (perhaps from a 'hot' red tone to a 'cold' blue)?
That's not a bad suggestion but I think it might be a bit distracting. And especially if the list is not sorted by popularity.

Having said that, the ability to sort by column makes spotify work so well - including sorting by popularity, (handy when you're checking out hitherto unknown artists) - so assuming you plan to add the column-sort functionality at some point, maybe my idea wouldn't work - but hey just thinking aloud.
After reading your suggestion, I started thinking about adding a sort option in the tap-and-hold popup menu. The only problem with that is that I'm not sure if you can find out which column was picked. I'll look into that.

Double tapping on a row, as you do to start a song, keeps track of which column was picked but would need some other mechanics to separate sorting from playing. Perhaps a button in the application menu would work well enough.

Thanks again for a great piece of work
Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. I'm glad you like it.

I've been playing around with sorting a bit. As it stands now, I've added sorting by album and artist in the search view. I've added stubs for sorting by popularity.

This leads me to two things I've been thinking about: sorting by popularity and playing songs in a sorted list.

First, popularity. When a search is done, the result comes, as far as I know, sorted by popularity from the Spotify servers. But, as soon as you sort by, say, artist this ordering is gone. Is there really a need for sorting by popularity?

Second, playing songs in a sorted list. With the current implementation, the playlist isn't changed after sorting has been done. This means that if you start a song from a sorted playlist, let it play to the end and the next song is started, this will be the next song from the initial playlist and not from the sorted playlist.

The data structures in libdespotify aren't really made for this kind of manipulation so I'd have to come up with ways to handle it. Including special cases when the sorted playlist is to be re-assembled according to the new sort order.

So, would this be a problem? I'm not too keen on spending time solving a problem that won't bother anyone...

Version 0.0.9-1 has been uploaded to the repository and the Garage page.

New functionality:
+ Sorting by album, artist and popularity in search view.
+ Sorting by artist in playlist view.
+ Buttons to perform sorting has been added to the application menu.

To keep in mind:
- The playlists are not changed by sorting. This goes for the search view as well.

Feedback regarding sorting is very welcome.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
joorin thanks for your all good work on this. I've been using footify for a couple of weeks now and it's very good.

One of the things I'm missing I think is the name of the artist in the playlist view? Was that by design/on purpose?

Originally Posted by orcocan View Post
One of the things I'm missing I think is the name of the artist in the playlist view? Was that by design/on purpose?
As far as I know, the third column is the name of the artist while in playlist view. At least it looks that way when I run the client on my device and I wrote the code to work like that.

If you have a playlist where the name of the artist is not showing, could you perhaps supply a screen shot?

am i doing anything wrong perhaps?

Originally Posted by orcocan View Post

am i doing anything wrong perhaps?
I'm sure you're doing nothing wrong.

If you scroll around in that playlist, what is the longest song title you can find? If there is a really long title, it will push the other columns out to the right where they can't be seen.

I've added a limit to song titles in the playlist view now. It will be included in the next release.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
I'm running a bit low on things to fix now, which tells me that it's almost time to push something to Extras-testing to try to reach the Extras repository.

With this in mind, I ask you guys to try to come up with suggestions for fixes or features that you think need to be taken care of or added. Just keep in mind that I'm aiming for a small and fast client.

To start this off I'll make a list of things that I'm either working on or thinking about fixing/adding before pushing anything to Extras-testing:
- Asynchronous handling of as many events as possible (not blocking the GUI thread any more)
- Making buttons behave a little better in different situations (where possible, for example no new searches while a search is pending)
- FM transmitter support (I'm still not sure about how this should be done, I'm inclined to just adding a switch for on/off and not settings for frequency)
- Artist information (not really sure if this adds anything to the client and the support from libdespotify is very limited)