Posts: 266 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
@ysss: I've been one of the "people behind the rules" quite a couple of times, and I know that those rules are meant to be helpful. Really, I'm not questioning the current admins and moderators, I'm just trying to save them some headache in the future, for I've also seen fellow moderators totally ruining a community with me being unable to do anything because they were just "reinforcing the rules".

Thus, one last time I just have to stress this point: Keep the rules tight, but to a necessary minimum. Be strict with the trolls, but let the rest of the bunch keep their current freedom - they'll most probably use it responsibly, anyway.

(Btw, sorry for the offtopic, but I just wanted to say that I really love reading your posts, ysss. We almost always disagree - completely - but you tend do so in a sensible way. Thanks for constantly reminding me of how even online people can disagree without fighting!)
In other words or shorter: A good community should have moderators using the rules sensible, and not use rules to express their feelings or support for friends or "homeboys". I hope I understand you correctly.

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer..."

Last edited by inidrog; 2010-06-21 at 19:15.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
This policy reeks of "Zero Tolerance".
Please explain.

This is one of the most tolerant forums in which I've ever participated. The policy was crafted by very tolerant people who are just looking for a way to answer the many, many requests we've had for making policy clear and having a fair and consistent approach to people who are intolerant of the concept of community.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I'd like to join that choir, just look at Sygic and other companies engaging users on here, participating as parts of the community.
Oh, I totally missed this part of the rules.

Clarifications for that rule would be great, as there really are quite a lot of business advertisements that are actually helping this community.

For example, I would hate missing Secret Exit's next game just because they are no longer allowed to advertise on here.

And I even think that (at least to a point and strictly confined to the competitors forum) advertisements for alternative systems and devices should be allowed, as I really think the market (and thus the community) can only flourish when people are well informed about all the possible choices they have.

So it would be really nice to not ban advertisements in general. If we must have that rule at all, just please make it so that announcing (commercial) releases of Maemo software won't be breaking the rules.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Please explain.

This is one of the most tolerant forums in which I've ever participated. The policy was crafted by very tolerant people who are just looking for a way to answer the many, many requests we've had for making policy clear and having a fair and consistent approach to people who are intolerant of the concept of community.
Tolerant to a fault, I'd say

Oh, I totally missed this part of the rules.

Clarifications for that rule would be great, as there really are quite a lot of business advertisements that are actually helping this community.

For example, I would hate missing Secret Exit's next game just because they are no longer allowed to advertise on here.

And I even think that (at least to a point and strictly confined to the competitors forum) advertisements for alternative systems and devices should be allowed, as I really think the market (and thus the community) can only flourish when people are well informed about all the possible choices they have.

So it would be really nice to not ban advertisements in general. If we must have that rule at all, just please make it so that announcing (commercial) releases of Maemo software won't be breaking the rules.
Agree. A distinction between ad spamming/commercial sock puppets/astroturfing on the one hand and legitimate informational threads/posts would be nice.

Last edited by skalogre; 2010-06-21 at 18:53. Reason: Clarified.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Once a community grows large enough that the administrators run out of close buddies to assign as moderators, the zealots will automatically come.
Moderator assignments have not been about "close buddies". In fact, we've had people volunteer and were seconded by others, as well as many who were nominated by community members.

If anything, the admin (Reggie) may well be pathologically opposed to a simple "hey buddy wanna be a mod?" approach, based on the history of that subject here (for a very long time we had ZERO moderators).

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@Nathraiben:
Yes, I can see that we want the exact same outcome in this case (sensible moderation), just with two polar concerns (mods use common sense to extend their reach outside of the core rule vs mods use common sense to exercise only the necessary parts of the extensive rules)

At any rate, we've put out our concerns out there and hopefully it gets some consideration..

(Btw, thanks a lot! I share that too )
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-06-21 at 18:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by inidrog View Post
In other words or shorter: A good community should have moderators using the rules sensible, and not use rules to express their feelings or support for friends or "homeboys". I hope i understand you correctly.
Mh, not really.

Of course the ideal community would have only moderators that use the rules (or, rather guidelines) in a sensible way - and right now that seems to be working quite well.

But with a community growing, there'll inevitably come a time when there will moderators who can't/won't do that and want/have to follow the rules to the last letter. And that's the time when insensible rules (that originally were just meant as a general guideline against serious offenders) will start hurting the community.

I hope that cleared it up. I know that's far from short, but I'm having a hard time expressing my thoughts - just blame it on the language barrier.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Moderator assignments have not been about "close buddies". In fact, we've had people volunteer and were seconded by others, as well as many who were nominated by community members.

If anything, the admin (Reggie) may well be pathologically opposed to a simple "hey buddy wanna be a mod?" approach, based on the history of that subject here (for a very long time we had ZERO moderators).
I think you got me wrong - I wasn't using "close buddy" as an insult, on the contrary: normally, a community works best when the administrator(s) personally know the moderators, because then they know how responsible they are - and if they ever happen to misbehave (all of us do from time to time ), they can just easily reproach them.

If that's not the system you were using so far and still only spawned great moderators this way, that's actually really honouring this community. Normally your best bet for finding a good moderator is to NOT use those who volunteer...

Just not sure this will keep working - again, with a community growing (no matter whether it's a forum, a club or a company), you're bound to attract less reasonable people.

But again, don't mind me (don't want to come off as pestering) - I've stated my concerns, you've made it clear that you don't believe those concerns will come true and I've replied that I don't really care. The good thing about NOT being a moderator is that you can just leave once things are getting out of hand.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@Nathraiben:
Yes, I can see that we want the exact same outcome in this case (sensible moderation), just with two polar concerns (mods use common sense to extend their reach outside of the core rule vs mods use common sense to exercise only the necessary parts of the extensive rules)
We've totally agreed TWICE now in this thread. Next time the world will come to an end...

At any rate, we've put out our concerns out there and hopefully it gets some consideration..
True, and I'm shutting up now. I know I'm talking too much when I don't really care, but I just don't want people to misunderstand what I'm trying to say. Stupid language, maybe I should just refrain from posting in English communities.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
[*]No Business Advertising
Creating threads, posts, or signatures that serve solely to promote your business (whatever that may be, personal blogs excluded) is not allowed. Referral links and viral marketing are also not allowed.
I don't like this rule. For example I would not know about the laser cut stand for n900, which is really realy nice, if this rule would have been here. And as others have pointed out software companies with their producst (games, map applications, webbrowers etc.) should be allowed. Maybe to restring commercial stuff to its own subforum or something like that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Petteri For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
You know this is all nonsense from start to finish and i will tell you why.....
Nokia is turning out to be a money making machine and has a very careless attitude towards support which is slowly but surely getting worse.

This forum stinks of Nokia and is a magnet for everyone that has got a grudge against Nokia so is bound to attract negative talk and gripes which in turn lead to arguments on here from the fanboys.

Moderators have mates on here and when you get used to this forum it shows a mile what the mods are all about in general and that is always in allegiance with there buddies and to hell with anyone that dare even speak out of turn to the buddies of the mods.

The whole forum will depend very much on the Nokia treatment of support which at the moment kind of stinks in many ways, and that means if Nokia screw up then the magnet turns on bringing people straight to this forum.

I disagree with some of the rules on here because it is all arse about face as there should be a section for moaning that can be left to rot uncensored by mods seperate to the main "support" part of this forum.

I myself have already got infraction points all because a moderator and his bussom pal set me up little realising i was on the verge of explaining a crucial mod to overclocking that never got the light of day and now they have rather shot themselves in the foot because i am reluctant to give any of my modifications to this forum when it is run by moderators that are loyal only to there buddies, to hell with everyone else if they even talk something they dont agree with.

You lot can all fester in your wonderful forum but the truth of the matter is your always going to have problems on here simply because of Nokia.

I actually have a life outside of the N900 and this forum but unfortunatly many members on here especially fanboys live on here 24/7 and that is so sad but if they want to waste there lives away so be it i wont stop them.

Moderating IMO on this forum is all wrong as far too much "loyalty" to there bussom pals exsist on here and that alone will drive the real supportive people away from it.
I am one of the supportive people but i am dammed if i will tolerate bad moderation.

Texrat joked with me a little while ago "bad talk of Nokia gets a weeks ban" and as a mod he is IMO the best on here but his joke may well become reality... scary thought aye.

Anyhow i do hope a happy medium can be reached between the Mods n Rockers of this forum because if not it is doomed.

My honest thoughts for once and i said all this without contempt or ill feeling towards anyone on here but i do feel many hide behind walls and sneak out just to create mayhem knowing they have moderators to back them up.

Anyhow lets hope and pray Nokia come into our lives with the support we all need which at the moment is missing, boy oh boy we need this forum !!!.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
is putting a "Sticky" on this thread's title possible?

i just scanned on the "policy", haven't read it thoroughly.

Thanks.........

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Tags
commandments, community, infractions, rules, t.m.o. policy