Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@texrat: sometimes a 'thank you' is just a 'thank you' it doesn't always signify 100% agreement.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
At a high level, the goal is always anarchy: No one telling anyone else what to do, and no one having the fear of being told what to do or how to do it. But self-regulation never works because no one is perfectly objective, and some people aren't inherently good (anti-social). Or sometimes they just lack social skills.

So, simply, at a high level, let's go with a new spin on this cliche:

"Moderation in all things, including moderation."

And then most of us can leave the minutia between the problem children and the gate keepers.

I realize I might be being overly simplistic, but I think parsimony should be the rule, not the exception.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
But for the a*sholes that think it is a dumping ground, we have these wonderful, selfless janitors to keep the place clean.
Tickled that Reggie has thanked this post that seemingly deserves a 10 point infraction.

How about 5-10 points for ars*holes that claim posts deserve infraction points?

TBH, I din't mean to thank that post, sorry.

Thank revoked.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by MSHAH View Post
All of these rules: what happened to freedom of speech?
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I just gave my honest opinion which surely i am entitled to do !
This is something I think a lot of people aren't getting... Technically, you're not entitled to anything here. You have no more rights to speak here than I would have the right to drive my car around in your living room. This is a private forum, run by a private entity. Their rules apply, and frankly over-rule any "rights" you may think you have or are used to having in your day to day life or your country of origin. The fact that they're even asking us to help with the rule making process is a gift. One that I'm appreciative of.

@abill_uk: As for how things are run right now, yes, do can give your opinion: once. You don't get to constantly repeat your own opinion over and over again and tell people how right you are, and how wrong they are, and that if they disagree they should shut up and go away.. You need to learn to let others give their honest opinions too, even when they differ from yours. The fact that you can't do that (without becoming insulting) is why you've been cited a number of times already.

I for one look forward to a slightly stricter handling of people being a**-hats, even if that means I may get a point or two at times (and/or suspended for a day on occasion). It will be a price worth paying to make this forum a usable place again, vs a stream of whiners coming to post their rant against Nokia or just to be pr**ks. It won't stop me from saying what I want to say, but them I'm willing to live by what I say, and pay the penalty when that goes against societal/forum norms.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
[QUOTE=woody14619;725291]

@abill_uk: As for how things are run right now, yes, do can give your opinion: once. You don't get to constantly repeat your own opinion over and over again and tell people how right you are, and how wrong they are, and that if they disagree they should shut up and go away.. You need to learn to let others give their honest opinions too, even when they differ from yours. The fact that you can't do that (without becoming insulting) is why you've been cited a number of times already.

You make it up as you go along and change things to suit yourself and i might add a bad example of doing so too, look at the post you refer too and as it does not say the words you put, you can be classed as singing your own song but holds no weight whatsoever with me... sorry to say!.

I personally think this thread is going way way OTT and you all need to remember this is indeed supposed to be a free and democratic world we live in so what is the point of killing a forum with policeing it to the point everyone is scared to even breath let alone talk on here.

It seems to be going to your heads , relax for gods sake !!!.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@texrat: sometimes a 'thank you' is just a 'thank you' it doesn't always signify 100% agreement.
Right, I do understand that (even though I personally shy away from Thanking posts suffering cognitive dissonance )... I was surprised at Reggie's Thanks specifically, but see, he said that was a mistake, so my sanity is reassured.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post

You make it up as you go along and change things to suit yourself and i might add a bad example of doing so too, look at the post you refer too and as it does not say the words you put, you can be classed as singing your own song but holds no weight whatsoever with me... sorry to say!.

I personally think this thread is going way way OTT and you all need to remember this is indeed supposed to be a free and democratic world we live in so what is the point of killing a forum with policeing it to the point everyone is scared to even breath let alone talk on here.

The only people worried about "policeing it to the point everyone is scared to even breath let alone talk on here" are people such as yourself that have already done multiple infractions with no remorse - and insisting that their way is right. This is not a democracy - it is a private forum. How many times must that be repeated?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
I can't believe that there is such upheaval over community guidelines (read: guidelines, not rules) that will only serve to clean up some of the noise in this great community. It has been mentioned before and worth mentioning a 1000x again - context is everything. Personally I don't really see how this is any different than how the forum is moderated currently, it is just documented now. Remember also that these guidelines are not set in stone. As woody14619 said above, the fact that everyone is including in the process of deciding on said guidelines is a gift.

But then again I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It is, after all, a community full of *nix users

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
you all need to remember this is indeed supposed to be a free and democratic world we live in so what is the point of killing a forum with policeing it to the point everyone is scared to even breath let alone talk on here.

1. Again, the forum is not a democracy. To understand the distinction, it's helpful to separate your civil, physical life from your online one.

2. Who are these people who are or will be scared to death to post? Unless they constitute a significant number, I call strawman.

I'm betting the sum answer to #2 is maybe 10. Out of tens of thousands.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
commandments, community, infractions, rules, t.m.o. policy