Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I don't get the logic here.
If you want to make an excuse, why give credit to your competitors that they're doing so well to affect your own operation negatively? It's better to say there's a mistake in your own supply chain that's now under control. That is, if you expect things to get better soon; which is obviously not the case here.

You've an interesting definition of 'uninteresting'
I think it'd be interesting to see Nokia's financial performance of their low\mid-range handset.
They are simply saying what everybody knows. They are too late with Symbian⁴ and way too late with killer devices using that OS. The E-series is still selling, the N-series isn't all that good, and the higher mid range is being eaten alive by Sony Ericsson right now (and SE is also eating the iPhone by the way, so the iPhone is really the least of Nokias problems). The last good seller from Nokia was the 5800, and now they really have nothing to compete with. The N8 will come soon (and I am getting one ) but this phone cannot compete with the X10 mini and the X8, it is way too geeky.

The big winner is of course Android and SE. The big looser is Nokia, but also iPhone. Samsung with Bada will also come before Nokia can do anything. Samsung will also take big chunks of both Nokia and iPhone.

This is in the international arena where 95% of phones are sold. What will happen in the en-bubble-geek-world-ruled-by-operators called the USA, I have no idea.

But who cares, in a years time Nokia is back with a vengeance

Originally Posted by lemon_grass View Post
American firms became so entrenched in a certain way of working they stopped all real R+D. By this I mean real R+D is to try totally new approaches, to break with the past - BUT to also offer the chance for the fruits from R+D to be fed into production
I would argue that nokia has been doing a LOT of R&D, not so much releasing, but definitely a lot of R&D

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
The big problem is that a lot of Nokia investors are US based; and hence, like their bloggers; ignorant.
They may be ignorant, but not stupid. They don't like what Nokia's management is doing to "THEIR" company. I don't blame them

a recent article

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/6072774.cms

In the last quarter, you had impressive results—smartphone shipments were up 50%, revenues up 20%. But your shares have lost a lot of value since then. Why is that analysts and traders are shaky about holding on to Nokia shares? After results, your shares lost all the gains they had made up in the previous months.

Yes, but I am not a very good predictor of the stock market. As such, I think what the market is saying is that the whole handset segment is in state of flux. There is a big ongoing change. If you look at just the original promise of the mobile, that was to make phone calls available, independent of time and place. Then it was enhanced with short messaging.

And then you look at the global population—a majority who wanted these services has been covered. So, the new penetration potential is very small although there are opportunities left India, China, Africa and South America. So, what now needs to happen is a change in the businesses, and we have been actually been saying for more than 10 years about convergence of the internet and mobile—this is precisely what is happening.

This device is moving from being a phone to a being a computer. Look at what has happened in the internet, which has become a social meeting place rather than just information depository. Perhaps the analysts and investors are thinking—can Nokia make this transformation? I think the fact that we have not only kept, but also increased our smartphone market share, and that we have brought new services like navigation are proof that we can. If you then look at overall results, it is okay. The market did not like it, but our results are still better than any of the other traditional players in this business.
When the first MeeGo products roll out, it will redefine the market for computers. So this game is a very dynamic one and you cannot make the judgement based on a quarter or two—it is a much longer one. Our strategy will be a volume-driven game, rather than concentrating on one or two products. We are the only company that plays in the whole cross section

Last edited by quipper8; 2010-06-23 at 13:34.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
down again...anyone bought during the week?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
don't try to catch a falling knife..
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
well nokia is still doing good. the stock drop is not totally connected to anything in particulare. can't really motivate the fall. But at the same time...not a fast come back either.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
All I can say is to NOKIA right now is Epic FAILURE and Shame on You NOKIA. This for making All N-series phone the same in features with just different looks. If Nokia just stay with 1 N-series device and mantaining it and improving it would just like the iPhone. One product but doing it well

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm stealing this.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
All I can say is to NOKIA right now is Epic FAILURE and Shame on You NOKIA. This for making All N-series phone the same in features with just different looks. If Nokia just stay with 1 N-series device and mantaining it and improving it would just like the iPhone. One product but doing it well
not evrey brand have the same buisness model. I don't think nokia shall move towards fewer models. let apple do that. howerver. I do think nokia needs to be more specific about the purpuse of the phones they are releasing.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen