Active Topics

MeeGos future does not look very bright. Recent study shows that developers are not very interested in the platform.

On top of that Intel just ported Android to Intel hardware which indicates Intel is not strongly behind MeeGo.

http://www.appcelerator.com/assets/a...-june-2010.pdf

The Following User Says Thank You to jussi69 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm interested in this report but it's going to get ripped since they only surveyed 2,733 out of 51k developers.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Appcelerator mainly makes a WebKit based WRT... Nokia already has one for Symbian, will have for MeeGo, I doubt the Appcelerator developers will be very interested in these platforms anyway.

EDIT: Yes, they seem to only asked developers which develop on their Titanium (WRT). It has been longest out for iPhone and Desktop PCs, not much surprised. As an added plus they don't have compatibility between the versions they've already put out (maybe their API's are not frozen yet) and the app installation is convoluted (every app brings its installer which contacts their site in search of specific binaries and then installs itself before installing the app, I've tested only 0.3 and 0.4 though, maybe it got better, but that was the reason I dropped trying to port it to Maemo 5).

Last edited by Bundyo; 2010-06-25 at 21:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Well, they kept asking questions like "best features" "most devices".

Meego is a shock as it is. For a platform with no devices, I expected it to be non-present.

Another no-brainer is the fact that developers seem to develop for platform that already have apps, since, you know, that means a good developer base, people to ask questions, examples available.

And one OS has a checkmark on all 3.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
Well, Meego isn't out yet -- only crude alpha versions -- and the specs aren't even finished. So this comes as no surprise - indeed, even that 11% index seem very good considering that.

Does Symbian being used in other Nokia devices shows that Nokia is "not strongly behind Meego"?

The Following User Says Thank You to Patola For This Useful Post:
"however 52% of developers who weren‟t interested in developing for Nokia said that its triple platform strategy (Symbian, Meego, and Maemo) was too muddled and risky right now."

This is the part that interested me the most. I think Nokia has to further push Qt!

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Well that triple thing is coming to an end. Maemo is dead, so that's one. Also, Symbian has been cut from N series, meaning that it will slowly decline in complexity (relative). Hopefully, Nokia will end up with one OS (MeeGo), where app builders matter.

Symbian already has its developer and app base. Assuming this constant change and breaking old standards stops at some point, it could hold on.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Not worried about actual platform adoption & support, because if "if you build it (viable market), they (dev) will come".

But this may indicate a slower uptake that may delay/reduced initial batch of software than desired.... (if too many of them takes a "wait and see" attitude before deploying their resources for MeeGo).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-06-26 at 02:41.

Err.. considering the Meego marketshare is effectively 0 right now. I would see why.

I don't think apps will take off until the Meego+Symbian 3 combo has enough saturation across different devices.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Patola View Post
Does Symbian being used in other Nokia devices shows that Nokia is "not strongly behind Meego"?
Qt says "no".