I suspect this would be mostly impossible if not highly difficult to achieve, but it would be awesome if the N800 could output to a TV or PC monitor through the USB out. Then it would really be a replication of an UMPC for me (actually, a full docking station through the USB out would be best I guess).

Obviously I know it wasn't designed for anything more than it's Internet Tablet ability (which is great and what I mostly use it for) but the ability to actually dock it would be a bonus.

This week at Cebit in Germany Samsung rolled out a 19" LCD screen with some sort of embedded video controller that allows it to be used from a PC's USB port (for 2D display only, obviously).

Of course, this requires a special driver on the PC side, and of course, Samsung only has a Windows driver at the moment...
(Windows XP, not even Vista yet, heh :-)

Originally Posted by harknell View Post
I suspect this would be mostly impossible if not highly difficult to achieve, but it would be awesome if the N800 could output to a TV or PC monitor through the USB out. Then it would really be a replication of an UMPC for me (actually, a full docking station through the USB out would be best I guess).

Obviously I know it wasn't designed for anything more than it's Internet Tablet ability (which is great and what I mostly use it for) but the ability to actually dock it would be a bonus.
Actually, I think Nokia are missing a _huge_ market here - put a mini-dvi slave off the screen onto the N800, and it would have massive appeal as a portable presentation tool - the screen resolution would be just fine for most presentations (Ideally through a ported openoffice, but exporting the presentation to pdf would be enough).

It _may_ be possible to achieve the effect by combining the existing work on modding the USB port with the linux driver for USB-VGA adapters:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddVGAAdapter
However I suspect there would still be a huge amount of work to get it working.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Erlangen
Hi, I'm about trying out getting this to work with a sis based usb-vga adapter, however my biggest problem right now is to get one
I had the usb host mode stuff working, and as I'm about to rebuild my kernel for the recent update I will just try out to get the sisusb module compiled as well. If that works and it loads i will seriously do research which of the to me available usb-vga adapters actually contains a sis chip (I live in germany and all adapters I found in online stores here have noname brands and useless technical specs).

The difficult part imho would be getting X running with the sisusb driver (http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc/html/sisusb.4.html), afaik the graphical interface on the n800 is not X but some framebuffer thing, I haven't looked at it yet so if anybody knows details However, if that works the rest (windowmanager and so on) sould be rather easy.
I'll post an update about the kernel module and also will gather my achievements somewhere on the web as soon as i get my fingers on some fitting hardware.

Originally Posted by greygoo View Post
If that works and it loads i will seriously do research which of the to me available usb-vga adapters actually contains a sis chip (I live in germany and all adapters I found in online stores here have noname brands and useless technical specs).

The difficult part imho would be getting X running with the sisusb driver (http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc/html/sisusb.4.html), afaik the graphical interface on the n800 is not X but some framebuffer thing, I haven't looked at it yet so if anybody knows details
I live in Korea, which is likely even more difficult 8^), but I can also get stuff from Australia fairly easily; the sitecom cn.105 seems to be available there.

http://maemo.org/development/documen...hitecture.html
has very superficial detail on the x architecture; it doesn't look promising:
"Xserver is the part of the platform which handles drawing graphics on the screen. X server in maemo is optimized for embedded usage and the specific hardware platform."

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Erlangen
I had a quick look, seems the config is compiled into X, or i couldn't find the config files. However, it seems to just be some modified x.org, the source package is available, so recompiling it including the sisusb driver might be doable, depending on the modifications. I don't have much time and also have to update my build system, but as soon as i got it working I'll give it a try.

I've seen a video review of the N800 where they used VNC to output to a computer and then had a nice lcd display for it. It looked really good.

Originally Posted by greygoo View Post
I had a quick look, seems the config is compiled into X, or i couldn't find the config files. However, it seems to just be some modified x.org, the source package is available, so recompiling it including the sisusb driver might be doable, depending on the modifications. I don't have much time and also have to update my build system, but as soon as i got it working I'll give it a try.
Just wondering if you had any luck with this??