Notices

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Dallas TX
I agree with afaq that we already have plenty of options for video calling, but I must say the only thing i would like is full screen video call and some of the "situational" options like switching to back camera with simple button, things like that, skype video calling is pretty raw on the n900 if you ask me, even my n95 made better video calls. Also afaik, the iphone has a vga front facing camera, same as the n900 so in theory the quality should be the same if the software/drivers support it, I am still bafled that i can not take a front facing picture with my n900 (maybe I just havent found the option),
Although our computers are better than any other in the market, it can still use features for the sake of having features other phones have (or have had since like 2006 for that matter).

just my 2cp

The Following User Says Thank You to Dr.Marcial For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Can we have discussions and debates without all the angst and emotional baggage for once!

We're all men for cryin out loud!!! (jk jk jk)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
how about asking if skype can be bought onto the iphone4? which i think, based on announcments from skype, might be possible as they offered to work with apple.
Since Apple created FaceTime, I'm pretty sure Skype integration made by Apple is out of question.

The Following User Says Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
It would just be a nice idea. Since Apple is the 3rd largest smartphone manufacturer in the world. It just gives me more options to video chat with friends that have an iPhone 4.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
Since Apple created FaceTime, I'm pretty sure Skype integration made by Apple is out of question.
i am sure skype can make the app, it is just a matter of apple allowing it.

previously they have disallowed apps that reproduce core apple provided 'features' like email or phone, etc. since they just came out with facetime, i would be willing to bet they will not allow sip,xmpp,or skype programs that do video calling even if they were ready to go and worked great

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think Apple has opened the video streaming pandora box by allowing Ustream Live in the AppStore.

IMO, surprisingly, Skype is the one that's been slow in deploying their services through iPhone. For example, they could've used iPhone OS3's push notification to enable their iPhone skype client to receive calls but this never happened.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Glasgow
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
cheers to an early death to the proprietary facetime.
Actually, most of Facetime is extremely open. I wrote about this: http://youshottheinvisibleswordsman....pen-standards/

The wifi limitation is presumably built right into the application. Aside from that, all that's missing is a little user account magic for the SIP backend. I haven't looked at how Apple are handling user accounts, but I guess it's based on phone number. And I think there's a little magic between two handsets before the first Facetime call can go ahead. But after that, it's all open protocols over IP. If I had two iPhones to test with, I'd do some packet sniffing to learn more about their infrastructure.

So, credit to Apple on this one. Compared to Skype which has traditionally been proprietary and closed off, Facetime is a breath of fresh air by sticking to IETF standards. If Apple stay committed to opening up the small portions that they need to, then the future for video calling is very bright indeed.

Originally Posted by sdstrowes View Post
Actually, most of Facetime is extremely open. I wrote about this: http://youshottheinvisibleswordsman....pen-standards/

The wifi limitation is presumably built right into the application. Aside from that, all that's missing is a little user account magic for the SIP backend. I haven't looked at how Apple are handling user accounts, but I guess it's based on phone number. And I think there's a little magic between two handsets before the first Facetime call can go ahead. But after that, it's all open protocols over IP. If I had two iPhones to test with, I'd do some packet sniffing to learn more about their infrastructure.

So, credit to Apple on this one. Compared to Skype which has traditionally been proprietary and closed off, Facetime is a breath of fresh air by sticking to IETF standards. If Apple stay committed to opening up the small portions that they need to, then the future for video calling is very bright indeed.

you are right about it being mostly open, i posted before anyone had done any packet captures

here is another good link on it besides yours

http://blog.roychowdhury.org/2010/06...-stun-and-sip/

with good conversation in comments

the keys for the future that would keep me from wishing it an early death are:

iphone users can be interoperated with through sip from outside apple network(ie send sip invite from n900 or x-lite to iphone4)

apple opens up whatever else they are doing over 5223(xmpp?), i guess they are setting up the ip addresses and stuff through here and authing users to register sip addresses

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Glasgow
Thanks for the link!

Thanks quipper8, that link is very useful. It looks like all we need to do now is figure out how Facetime clients find each other over the Internet. From there it should be possible to manually dial a SIP URI and ring an iPhone from an N900 without any modifications.

Edit: after reading through the comments, it looks like Facetime clients are discovering each other via an Apple server. FaceTime clients make an HTTPS connection to it and presumably this is where the phone number is associated with the SIP URI. This information is then available for lookup by other clients. From here they place a direct P2P SIP call. So, to have Facetime working on an N900, an app to lookup SIP URIs from phone numbers via Apple's Facetime server would be needed.

Last edited by GameboyRMH; 2010-07-13 at 18:14.