Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I find it especially troubling that Nokia took extra effort to:
1). Not show the sms sending activity to the user
2). Make it very2 persistent in retrying the process if it fails

Since N900 is one of the first (if not the first?) mass marketed true Linux handset.. this does not bode well for:
1). OSS/Linux image to the general public
2). Nokia's relationship with the OSS community

Oh, and the latest 'push technology' used in Maemo:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=732120
(still technically unconfirmed, may be related with the bug reported by tomaszd and others about randomly (?) installed apps when removing packages).

I don't expect Nokia to answer point by point to all of the complaints, but they should understand the seriousness of this issue to their OSS supporters/users in general.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-06-28 at 03:46.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Just catching up with the whole thing. Wow. What would be simpler than a "bad UI, sorry, we'll get it right next time" response, and instead we get this?

Leaving legalities aside (IANAL), the message seems clear: if you don't want unexpected charges and/or "phoning home" with your personal data, don't buy an "Ovi device". Fair enough, I can live with that (and obviously Nokia/Ovi think they can too so I don't expect a change in attitude).

So, what do people who want a Linux handheld computer completely under the owner's control buy these days?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by lma View Post
So, what do people who want a Linux handheld computer completely under the owner's control buy these days?
Shame Openmoko died. At least they were really truly about Open Source, instead of this ******** Nokia puts out.

Really, for me at least, the reasons for Nokia's being better than Google are decreasing.

Alas, I'm going OT here. I'd be happy to talk in the missteps thread, however. I promise not to swear

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-06-28 at 10:20.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Ah... a mobile computer... internet device... not a cell phone. Because of that you have to register to the for your device useless OVI. (it was also useless for my symbian device before - colurful, but without benefit)

So, when this is a mobile computer, why does it register and inform the people about "updates" using SMS?

Why not send data direct to a server, using GPRS, W-LAN, UMTS. Why using a Series40 technology? Why have we to pay so much for only 160bytes?

Who is working there? The 70 years old grandmother of my neighbor? Have they understand how their devices are working or do they think we are still just stupid custumers... bought a Nokia satellite receiver and suprised that we could not drive to work with it?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
The message is on my box too. OK, so what Nokia did is probably legal. But it's not the right thing to do.

Nor is it good business practise for Nokia. It's just alienating their user base more and more.

Furthermore, the message is deceptively included in a paragraph that's labelled as a copyright notice.

Clearly, none of us had seen and understood that notice before now, or else we would have raised it in this forum.

How can something so hidden ever be morally right? And how can Nokia's PR people think their customers will be satisfied with a response that basically says "we're not breaking any laws, so you're stiffed"?

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Really, for me at least, the reasons for Nokia's being better than Google are decreasing.
Hear, hear. It looks like neither Nokia nor Google care about data protection, which was my biggest problem with Android. So I may as well switch to the platform with the higher probability of having a non-zero number of users this time next year! I am currently wading through specifications of Android devices, and once I have found a suitable replacement, it will be goodbye N900. It's a shame, because the idea of the N900 was very appealing, but I am far too tired of these continual missteps by Nokia. I should have learned my lesson with the lack of support for the 770, but this time I suspect I am jumping ship for good.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tnhh For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Ok, I asked earlier what would have been the right thing to say, from Nokia's perspective, to satisfy folks.

Allow me to ask a different question - the last one did get answered fully, but I'm still curious.

What would be the true solution to this issue? Nokia reimburse everybody for the charges where there were some and increase the visibility of this option or create an all web based solution for login? Or... handle it via the Ovi desktop app perhaps instead of SMS?

Just curious.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by tnhh View Post
I am currently wading through specifications of Android devices, and once I have found a suitable replacement, it will be goodbye N900. It's a shame, because the idea of the N900 was very appealing, but I am far too tired of these continual missteps by Nokia. I should have learned my lesson with the lack of support for the 770, but this time I suspect I am jumping ship for good.
Might want try to install Android on the N900. The device itself is great, so it would be a waste to not use it.

By now I'm starting to waver myself. I love Maemo, but learning that reflashing my device will force me to pay for "registration" once again was a bit of a shock.

Yes, both Google and Nokia don't seem to care much for my privacy, but right now we have the choice between "Doesn't care for my privacy, but at least tries to appeal to me" and "Doesn't care for my privacy and feels obliged to **** with me on a daily base".

Nokia's clearly loosing this race, but just like they didn't care that they lost a whole bunch of their customers when they decided to close half of their Central European branches in order to move them to low-wage countries, they don't care about the current fiasco, either.

Instead they feel it's the right thing to do to give us this "screw you, we'll continue to mess with you" reply.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
What would be the true solution to this issue? Nokia reimburse everybody for the charges where there were some
I don't care for the 2$ this cost me, and I'm sure neither do the rest of the people (for whom this was most probably just a couple of cents, anyway). So I don't think anybody would request a refund.

and increase the visibility of this option
Good start.

or create an all web based solution for login?
Even better!

Or... handle it via the Ovi desktop app perhaps instead of SMS?
Not sure what you're referring to, but as long as it doesn't force me to send messages I have to pay money despite there being loads of free ways to do this instead...

Of course, the best thing to do would be to just make this whole thing optional. What good did it do, anyway? All I got so far a message that PR1.2 is finally out (three weeks after PR1.2 actually was released) with a link that was not working.

Oh, and of course access to the Ovi store - that doesn't work, anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
Yes, both Google and Nokia don't seem to care much for my privacy, but right now we have the choice between "Doesn't care for my privacy, but at least tries to appeal to me" and "Doesn't care for my privacy and feels obliged to **** with me on a daily base".

Nokia's clearly loosing this race, but just like they didn't care that they lost a whole bunch of their customers when they decided to close half of their Central European branches in order to move them to low-wage countries, they don't care about the current fiasco, either.

Instead they feel it's the right thing to do to give us this "screw you, we'll continue to mess with you" reply.
Agreed. Nokia are currently not quite as evil as Google, but Nokia seem to be going out of their way to alienate their remaining customers. So I would rather switch to a platform with a viable userbase and be careful about what data I store on my phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to tnhh For This Useful Post: