Notices

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Hello all, I'm just wondering how to install DNS tools like 'dig' for N900?

Cannot find a suitable package in application manager and I've already setup extras and extras-testing repositories. Perhaps I need to add yet another repository?

I tried to invoke dig from xterm both before and after becoming root, but it cannot recognise the command. Do I need to change the PATH variable or something?

Of course I could use ssh client and connect to a server and run dig there, but I'd rather run it from within the device.

Thanks,

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oviedo, Florida
Originally Posted by extremia View Post
Hello all, I'm just wondering how to install DNS tools like 'dig' for N900?
So how hard can this be? I said to myself. There ought to be a Debian ARMEL port for dnsutils, right? I google up "dnsutils lenny" and am rewarded with the Debian dnsutils package, which contains dig. My first reaction was holy crap, it sure looks like it has a lot of dependencies. Wonder how many of those are already installed in the scratchbox?. Nothing to do but see what apt-get has to say about it.

Got into scratchbox (I don't have a device yet, but I've installed the SDK and gone through the hello-world exercise). Boldly added the Debian lenny repository to sources.list and ran apt-get update and apt-get install dnsutils, knowing that apt-get install would ask me "y/N". To my dismay apt-get informed me that it was going to require many prerequisite packages (including a couple different versions of gcc). Moreover it wanted to replace or remove a number of packages that contained "hildon" in them.

No, not gonna do it. I may be just a city boy, but I know the difference between a real cow and a sacred cow. Messing with hildon-xxxx could only have been a bad thing. I moonwalked out of sources.list as quickly as I could and put things back the way I found them.

Moral: this porting business is not as obvious as I think it is, and I have a less than clear understanding of dpkg. More to the point, Maemo5 is not Lenny. If I'd had a real device here I might be getting familiar with the flasher at this very moment. Good times...

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by dba View Post
Moral: this porting business is not as obvious as I think it is, and I have a less than clear understanding of dpkg. More to the point, Maemo5 is not Lenny. If I'd had a real device here I might be getting familiar with the flasher at this very moment. Good times...
I'm not a big debian package expert but even installing debian packages on a similarly released Ubuntu system can be difficult. The best thing to try is add the source repositories to an apt.conf.d file then try using dpkg-buildpackage to build it. Again I'm not an expert so this may not be exactly the best or correct way to build a package.

You could perhaps make do with nslookup, which seems to be installed by default on the n900.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ France
i tried to install the dnsutils from the debian packages but it has a conflict

i dont have the command dig

Code:
/home/user/MyDocs # dpkg -i dnsutils_9.5.1.dfsg.P3-1\+lenny1_armel.deb 
Selecting previously deselected package dnsutils.
dpkg: regarding dnsutils_9.5.1.dfsg.P3-1+lenny1_armel.deb containing dnsutils:
 busybox-symlinks-dnsutils conflicts with dnsutils
  dnsutils (version 1:9.5.1.dfsg.P3-1+lenny1) is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing dnsutils_9.5.1.dfsg.P3-1+lenny1_armel.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing dnsutils
Errors were encountered while processing:
 dnsutils_9.5.1.dfsg.P3-1+lenny1_armel.deb
/home/user/MyDocs # dig
-sh: dig: not found
~ $

I use www.kloth.net, it is quite simple website does nslookup and dig