Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
only google can make such an app. best we can do is emulate what another version of google maps would need (java or another phone OS) and get it working like that, but it's a real pain in the *** to get the gps working and decent performance. there's a palm os version we can emulate already, and of course the android operating system port is coming along nicely, but neither has access to the gps hardware so it's pretty much useless at this point. best thing we can do is convince google to make the app themselves, but they will only do it if there are a lot of these phones in use. well, maybe someone at google can do it as a hobby project, but i'm not holding my breath.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
If the map is offline then YES! if the map require Online connection like on Symbian and iphone then HELL NO!

I'm more than willing to donate for the cause of using a proper google maps interface on maemo just like what my n97 did before.

I just hope someone out there can make an effort for this.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
At the thread starter:

Your Link

Sorry, we couldn't find any results matching your query.
I guess Google deleted it?

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Nokia needs to concentrate on making the best Ovi maps available for the N900, IMO.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by jr1415us View Post
Nokia needs to concentrate on making the best Ovi maps available for the N900, IMO.
Why re-invent the wheel? IMO, Nokia should work on licensing Google Maps from Google, and concentrate on improving Maemo/Meego/M-whatever instead!

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
I perfer the Google Maps approach for several reasons. First, my #1 priority for a GPS system is it's POI database. I would actually prefer an always online approach since you constantly get the most up-to-date results. All of the other features are more or less a wash for me after that.

I will commend Nokia for the improvements in Ovi Maps, but for me and my use cases it is nowhere near the features and usability of Google Maps.

I have loved my n900, but its one area that desperately needs improvement is in its mapping application.

Im satisfied with using google maps of microB. i can get my location, zoom, use layers and get latest traffic details and maps. and for rural places in india like mine, google has got the best sattelite&map overlays.

Tags
google maps maemo