Originally Posted by jsa View Post
Hold on there.. may I ask where you got that? This kind of contradicts with the 100 % open source goal. I wouldn't bet on it. AFAIU it's up to the device manufacturers to add Flash support for their products.
Its mentioned in the Adobe Flash Press release.

And Meego doesnt have a 100% opensource goal for all apps running on it. Only the core of Meego is to be opensource and that too might depend on the manufacturer to do.
Meego only provides a base OS for others to build on.

The Following User Says Thank You to depu For This Useful Post:
I know it's pre-alpha, but here are some things that bothered me right off the bat:

1: the menu button looks as if none of the maemo 5 minimalism carried over (which is odd, because judging from some other icons it appears that it has)

2: I'm not liking the card system of switching apps, the thumbnails from Maemo 5 worked just fine, although I've heard that will also be an option which doesn't make it so bad. I guess it's nice to have different options.

3: So much redundant space! I wish the text was closer to the icons and that they were 4x4 (or maybe even 4x5), also I really dislike the iPhone styled scrolling, it just makes very little sense.

4: Personally, I liked slide-to-unlock more but anyways, the position of the icon looks a bit uncomfortable although I've seen that it will be on the bottom as well. Other than personal preference, I think this is actually ok.

Anyways, it's pre-alpha so most of this will be improved, so while I know I'm basically complaining about how the unfinished product is unfinished, I wanted to say something anyway. If I take the unfinished state of this into consideration, then it's pretty obvious that MeeGo will actually end up looking totally rad.

Sorry for the TL;DR rant :P

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Parody For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ İstanbul - Turkey
@Parody

Phones that will use MeeGo will be mostly capacitive screens. Most of features you don't like are related to this. Maemo was an internet tablet OS, optimized for stylus. But looks like MeeGo is optimized for fingers.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by depu View Post
Its mentioned in the Adobe Flash Press release.

And Meego doesnt have a 100% opensource goal for all apps running on it. Only the core of Meego is to be opensource and that too might depend on the manufacturer to do.
Meego only provides a base OS for others to build on.
Okay, I may have been a bit hasty. Now that I look at the post I replied to, he said "for", not "in".

But MeeGo the project does have a 100 % open goal, which means that the whole deliverable from the project including core OS and reference UX will be open source. Flash would be in the "others to build on it" category. That's why I said in my post that it's up to the manufacturer to add support. Obviously Flash has to support MeeGo, like said in the Adobe press release if someone is going to preinstall it on a device running the OS.

The Following User Says Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Optln View Post
@Parody

Phones that will use MeeGo will be mostly capacitive screens. Most of features you don't like are related to this. Maemo was an internet tablet OS, optimized for stylus. But looks like MeeGo is optimized for fingers.
Hopefully the N900 community made version will be more optimized for its resistive display

The menu launcher still looks like a damned traffic sign though

The Following User Says Thank You to Parody For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
its just a bloody icon what will probably look different when different vendors ship there own default themes or users make themes,
more important vendors will most probably build there own customised UI on top so in places it will look nothing like the reference UI release so stop judging too early

the problem of unlocking from top of the phone is that you can't unlock with just one hand, at least most of the time...

Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I know it's pre-alpha, but here are some things that bothered me right off the bat:

1: the menu button looks as if none of the maemo 5 minimalism carried over (which is odd, because judging from some other icons it appears that it has)

2: I'm not liking the card system of switching apps, the thumbnails from Maemo 5 worked just fine, although I've heard that will also be an option which doesn't make it so bad. I guess it's nice to have different options.

3: So much redundant space! I wish the text was closer to the icons and that they were 4x4 (or maybe even 4x5), also I really dislike the iPhone styled scrolling, it just makes very little sense.

4: Personally, I liked slide-to-unlock more but anyways, the position of the icon looks a bit uncomfortable although I've seen that it will be on the bottom as well. Other than personal preference, I think this is actually ok.

Anyways, it's pre-alpha so most of this will be improved, so while I know I'm basically complaining about how the unfinished product is unfinished, I wanted to say something anyway. If I take the unfinished state of this into consideration, then it's pretty obvious that MeeGo will actually end up looking totally rad.

Sorry for the TL;DR rant :P
If you look at the developer guidelines the images show a 4x4 grid...
dont stress over that

The Following User Says Thank You to Odd_gunnic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
I think they should have released this pre-alpha with LESS graphics and detail. Now it almost look like a end-user UI (UX) wich it is not, not by a long shot!

And since it's linux based the customisation possibilities are endless.

Think about how much the Maemo themes differ from each other! I like what I'm seeing and the fact is: It's only going to get better!

The Following User Says Thank You to eMiL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Odd_gunnic View Post
Oh and by the way are there any screenshots of the email application?
The MeeGo project hasn't released its email app yet, or media player or calendar, but those are supposed to be moving to the open within the next few weeks.

Regarding unlocking, according to http://meego.com/developers/ui-desig...t/meego-basics unlocking will be via a slide action.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post: